Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding home from the mother in laws house tuesday night the rear of my wing got a bit squirrelly on me a couple of times. TPMS was showing good pressures so i blamed it on HOT bad pavement.:rolleyes:

Well yesterday evening when get ready to get on the wing to go home from work I noticed this ::eek:

Long story short wing is parked 'til i find a tire! Bad thing is I didn't catch this when I looked the tires over on monday evening.

Any suggestions for less expensive tires for the rear, besides a CT Larry!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You can find decent prices online. But you then need someone to mount and balance. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Just bite the bullet and get a good tire. I figure it's cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda my thought too iken. I thought someone might have a good source for good tires for less money.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Yeesh, you can almost see the air inside the tire!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow, how does a tire even get a cut like that?
Craziness.
Glad you noticed while the shiny side was still up right.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've got a set of Dunlop E3's off a 1500 looking to get rid of. If interested PM me, I can give you the details then.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whacker pm sent

·
Registered
515 Posts
message returned

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just ordered a Pirelli MT66 tire for my rear my cost $98 and free shipping! The tire has great reviews, 16,000 miles boasted!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow! I can't figure out myself why I even keep driving when I feel my bike handle differently. I was on a ride yesterday in the mountains around Yosemite with a passenger when my front tire began to feel unbalanced. Why I didn't just pull over and look is beyond me. It eventually felt better and I blamed it on the winter frost heaved pavement. Next time, I'll just pull over and look to reassure myself and make sure everything is safe. I'm so lazy (unsafe) sometimes its irritating. I had a front tire blowout in my RV a few years back. I didn't pull over even though I could feel something was amiss through the steering wheel until it was too late. It cost me $2000 in repairs as the tire tread whipped around and tore out my shifter cable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tires

Are you sure your motherin-law likes you. :) Check for any rubber residue on her kitchen knives, get CSI involved if you have to! :)

I recently had to purchase two tires for my Wing while in Lake George, NY at Americade 2011. The cost for E3's was $500.00 even. That included tires, install, balance and sale taxes. My old tires still had miles left on them, but I still had another 4000 miles to ride. Glad I got them, ran into a lot of rain on mountain roads during the next three weeks of my trip. Play it safe, always get a new tire when replacing tires. I know they're expensive but it never hurts to ask a dealer to work with you on the price or payment plan.

Stay Safe,
T-Rex

Only kidding about your M-I-L, all mine were fine folks.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Just goes to show you when you are riding and something feels or sounds strange you need to stop and check it out. Glad you made it home safely !!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buying tires from a local or even a sorta local dealer who is long on service is best for me, buy it, mount it, and balance it for one money, and have a guy to stand behind it, less time, less hassel.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I would never recommend putting a car tire on your motorcycle, but I put a car tire on my bike 8,000 miles ago and I have had nothing but good luck with it. $89 shipped to my door. I look forward to another 20,000 miles before it needs replacing.

The tire is in my signature.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
My tire is a " Run On Flat ". Hope I never need to experience it, but those who have say it works. The chances of needing a new tire while you are parked in front of a tire shop are slim to none.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts