Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new to me GL1500 and last night on the way home it starts leaking coolant. Spent the night researching the various threads and it is my theroy that someone has used the wrong coolant and the water pump seal is leaking.

Can someone tell me where to look to verify this, or tell me of other common coolant leak locations?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Look under thr water pump for wetness. Or, pressure test it. There are a LOT of places it could be leaking and none are an easy fix. I know.Sory I couldn't give you better news. COULD BE AIR IN THE SYSTEM. Or reserve tank too full.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd start with the overflo bottle first, and move on from there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Look at the water pump, there is a small weep hole on the bottom of it, if the water is leaking from there it is the water pump. Using the wrong kind of anti freeze can cause the seal to go bad. Changing it is NOT a big deal. If it's the water pump you will want to drain your oil before you remove it. It is easy to change. If you don't see fluid by the weep hole start checking the overflow bottle and hoses and clamps

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first GL 1500 and I didn't have any problems with my 1200 so I'm a bit ignorant as to where to find the water pump. I have found the radiator, overflow bottle and alternator.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found a few drops on the concrete at the shop this morning under the wing, but after work i went to top off radiator and it might have held 10-15 oz. Overflow was empty. filled it as prescribed and drove home. No obivious change in fluid levels. I don't know now maybe i'm loosing my mind.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just keep your eye on things John. Sometimes there is a tell-tale odour of antifreeze dripping on a hot surface to alert you to the presence of a leak. Not necessarily where it is, but it's an indicator. It's possible that the o/f bottle had a loose cap too, or the rad cap wasn't sealed proper.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tore into the wing this afternoon and pressured up the cooling system. At first I was afraid I had a head gasket leaking but found that it was just running down off the thermostat housing. Found a bad hose clamp, replaced it pressured the system back up and no more leak. I'll check it again in a day or two and see, but for now NO MORE LEAk. YEAH

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Well done !

Well done & good luck.
Amazing that sometimes the biggest problems seem to evaporate when you approach them !

Not always though .... :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts