Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just registered for this site tonight. I am looking for some advice. I have been riding for 40 years both street and dirt. However, I have alway ridden lighter bikes on the road. My current steed is a 02 Suzuki V-Strom. I love hooking up with friends and doing 400 mile day trips. I only use the zuk on street with an accasional short trip on fire roads. My wife loves to ride with me and we have been doing more of it lately. We quickly realized that the zuk is not that great 2 up or for long rides together.

We have been looking at a variety of bikes but she has pretty much made the decision that she wants us to get a wing. I will admit right off the bat that I am somewhat intimidated by the goldwing because it is such a big bike. I am not that small at 6' 225lbs but I've just never ridden a bike that big and heavy before.

We want a bike that we can take on long weekends and cross country touring. I also love twisty back roads.

We were just looking at the Wings today. I am concerned about the size and weight of the bike. Yet, my wife and I are enamored with the appearance of comfort and functionality.

Am I just being a WUS or is the going to be the perfect bike for us?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can offer.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF pmaust. if the wife wants a goldwing will get her one and once you are comfortable riding it that suzuki is going to collect alot of dust. whay year wing are you loking at

·
Registered
483 Posts
... HOWDY ... FROM YOU'RE YEARS OF RIDING EXPERIENCE YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH A WING ... YOU JUST NEED A LITTLE SEAT TIME ON ONE ... YOU WILL BE SURPRISED HOW EASY AND NIMBLE THEY ARE TO RIDE ... ALSO THE CENTER OF GRAVITY IS VERY LOW WITH THE LOW PLACEMENT OF THE FUEL TANK AND LOW DESIGN OF THE MOTOR AND DRIVE TRAIN ... MAKE SURE YOU DO A LITTLE SOLO TIME BEFORE GOING 2 UP ... IT's ALL ABOUT STYLE & COMFORT ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
pmaust,

I will admit right off the bat that I am somewhat intimidated by the goldwing because it is such a big bike. I am not that small at 6' 225lbs but I've just never ridden a bike that big and heavy before.
I'm impressed spoken like a true "Biker". Now having said that I agree with the 'zillamonster you will have no issues. It would be good if you could test ride one, don't know if that's possible or not.

I will say that this is a time when you want to listen to the wife.

Try one, Buy one & Ride one you won't be sorry. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
10,047 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Where do you call home? I think once you ride a Wing you will understand what everyone is telling you. It's a big bike that handles well and can be a lot of fun in the twisties.. For 2 up long distance tourning there is nothing better. Go get one and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
10,047 Posts
Do some research on eBay or other Goldwing forums and you will see that you should be able to get somewhere between $3k and $4k off the MSRP of a new bike. You may have to travel a bit to get one, but consider it a one way vacation home on a great bike. Good luck in your search..

·
Registered
211 Posts
As everyone else,don't even hesitate. I love my 1500. Have spoken with some that own a 1500,and an 1800. Sounds funny,but most liked the 1500 better for road trips,and/or trailer towing. My advice is to sit on each and see which you like better.Either way,you will want to get hiway pegs asap with your height. Pick your size and color and enjoy.The weight really isn't a factor. However,if you go with a 1500 make sure it has reverse! Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife like yours loves riding, she falls asleep on the back on long trips and can't wait til the next ride.We've done some long days in the saddle when we were younger,now at 65 I ride til we feel its time to rest,Stopping periodicly and stretching is good when the snow is on the roof and the whiskers are long Ha Ha.But still we ride on,these machines
are made to last. Riding ,especially a Wing is a passion for most of us here as you can see. Good luck with your "Mission" as you put it. :)

-Robert-

·
Registered
391 Posts
When the wife and I decided to find the word comfort and motorcycle used together we found that it basically comes down to Honda and BMW. The Honda has more Goodies to play with and the most of any bike to add. It also has the best warrenty and dealer network. BMW dealers are few and far between. Our state has one! Now add to it the Honda will last forever and it became a no brainer.
We really enjoy ours.

·
Premium Member
24,145 Posts
I clock in at 6.0 ft, 180#. Remember, the bigger you are the more top heavy the bike becomes. This bike would be perfectly happy to ride by itself. If you can sit on this bike and lean it 45 degrees side to side without your legs collapsing under, you can ride this bike. Besides , your fear of the weight will be overshadowed by the " fixed " fairing issue that many of us seem to note first here when we talk about our first ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was a rider for forty years as well and just bought my first wing in November. I was never intimidated but always thought that twisty roads were for smaller sportier bikes. I couldn't have been further from the truth. The truth is that the Gold Wing is a gentle giant. A huge bike with massive power that handles better than most of the sport bikes that I have owned over the years. My last bike was a VTX 1300 and going from that to the wing was like moving from a dump truck into a Mercedez. Slow speed handling is not an issue in fact it is better than lighter bikes, however, you could encounter a problem if you are a short person whose feet do not reach the ground well since the wing sits a bit high. DO NOT HESTITATE! You will never be sorry that you purchased a Gold Wing, in fact, you may never be able to ride another bike again. Good luck

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Try one, u'll like it !

Nothing like a wing. These things are engineered very well. the 1800 is the 5th morph in a series, 1000,1100,1200,1500,1800. the 12s and 15s were excellent bikes and the 18 is a very rideable bike. It looks like a sailboat and handles like a sport bike. And it has reverse.
The dealer network is fantastic. If a small town has a motorcyle dealer it is probably a Honda. The cross country ride is unbelieveable. BMW has a comperable touring machine but the service costs are much higher. Remember a gold wing gets its horsepower from displacement (1800cc) and tuning, a BMW gets power from tuning (1200cc). Basically that lets a GW loaf along. No mirror buzz no handlebar buzz and 250 mile cruise range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.