Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding over 16 years, am 71 yrs. old. In great shape, 5'10, 175 lbs.
Previous ride was a 1992 BMW K75. Feet were getting numb because of the position so tried a 1600 Nomad and bought one.
It's 3 years old and never had any problems. My wife decided to start riding her own bike and after a 250 moved to a Kawa 900 2 years ago. She has a little bit of a problem keeping up and indicated recently that perhaps we should get one bigger bike and she would be happy riding 2 up.
Now the dilemma. Kawa is coming out with a new 1700 Voyager but it's still a V-twin.
Thinking a BMW again but think perhaps a Goldwing might be the best solution.
I have ridden with, (maybe chased is a better word) some riders on Wings. These guys rode them like sport bikes. Had a hard time keeping up on the Nomad.
I keep reading that Goldwings ride like lot lighter bikes because of the weight distribution.
I would think the smoothness would also be an advantage over any V-twin.
I've ridden Harleys (can't stand the vibs), tested the Victory Visions for a few thousand mile. (ugly mothers).
Haven't had the opportunity to ride a Wing.
My question is, "Are they all they are claimed to be?"
I know this is a Honda Forum and it might be a little biased but thought I'd ask.
I appreciate any info/input you could provide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, in my view they are all they are claimed to be. You can be sure there is no problem riding 2 up. For me, the greatest test is when I come to a stop. I want to make a smooth stop, I want to keep it up right, and I don't "walk" with my feet when the machine is still moving. Once it begins to lean a little at the stop, especially with 2 up, you will certainly feel its weight. From time to time I need strong arms to keep it from leaning too much. I'm 5'10, 65 years old and in GOOD shape. And we enjoy the GoldWing so much!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i have wanted a wing since i was 25. that said i may be biased in my opinion. i rarely ride two up and only five of the motorcycles i have owned have not been hondas. from my z50a to my 1500 all my hondas have been all that and especially my wings

·
Banned
91 Posts
Like the others have said the Wing is King. I am the owner of an 1800 and this is my 4th wing. The 1800 is close to 50 pounds lighter than the 1500 wing and is shows. I am 58, 6' 1" and tip the Toledos at 205 and two up is just as easy as solo. I recently went on a run with my wife on the back. The mountain trip to Prescott, Arizona is loaded with curves. At no time was I concerned over having a passenger. I agree that you should try some others first but am pretty certain you will pick the Wing. I was at the Glendale, Cycle World show today and watched Harley owner and his wife sit on a wing. All I could hear his wife saying was "this is awesome" when she sat in the back seat.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I didn't mention before that I briefly owned a Harley. I felt that everyone should have the "Harley experience" once in their lives. Well that experience lasted an entire 297 miles before I went to the Honda dealer and wheeled and dealed till I got "most" of my money back on a trade for the Honda. Best thing I ever did. This Wing is my 9th Honda and I will never stray from the flock again, I swear!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
GL stands for Grand Luxury............I am a believer! :) So much I'm on my second one. The first was a 1985 GL-1200 Aspy which had 139,000 miles on it when I sold it and I've got 39,000 on my current GL-1800. I've rode many bikes since 1978 and the Goldwing by far is the best for my style of riding. I like to ride across the country. Good luck in whatever you buy and ride safe!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.