Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently own a HD 2009 ROADGLIDE thinking of purchasing a 2008 GOLDWING. Are there any previous HD owners that can give me advice on leaving Harley and purchasing a GOLDWING any regrets???
THANKS!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I presently own a HD 2009 ROADGLIDE thinking of purchasing a 2008 GOLDWING. Are there any previous HD owners that can give me advice on leaving Harley and purchasing a GOLDWING any regrets???
THANKS!
Ive owned several HD. I had an Ultrta Classic (1995) for several years. It's hard to beat the stunning looks of that bike but I like to ride. I've owned a Goldwing of some variant since 1977. I tried touring on the ultra but for me it just didn't provide the level of comfort I was looking for. I sold the Ultra because I kept getting on my wing or Valkyrie. I can ride all day long on my wings. I have no regrets. Some days when I'm just cruising around town I miss the Harley a little.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome Marco V. Go to page 8 and ck. out the 2 HD vs Wing threads. Should be of great help to you. I love my 1500SE,fits better than 1800.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Marco, I had two GL's before I ever owned a Harley. Got a hankering for a wideglide and couldn't find one so I got a Dyna Convertible. Bad choice, sold it and lost my backside on it (I know not common for a HD but I HAD to get rid of it). Then I got a Roadking which was wonderfull for almost two months when a stupid pinned up cager wiped it off the road for me (thankfully). I guess I was just never meant to have a Harley. I ended up on a Virago that year and the next year, but I found it too cramped for my frame. Ended up on a Vulcan for ten years and many thousands of dollars in customizing and 30,000 miles. Then a couple years on an ST1300 before my '09 Wing. I'm a Wing guy at heart, and always have been.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I never owned a Harley so I can't help with your decision, but I can give you some things to compare. I looked your bike up on the HD site and it's really a nice bike. Looks like the price is around $19k without options. A base wing is around $22.8k but you can find them discounted to around $18.5k. The one I saw did not have a trunk like the Wing and I don't know if that's an option. Weight is listed at about 100 lbs less than a Wing. So the differences seem to start with more luggage space, more weight and a 6cyl vs. a V-twin.

For comfort and long distance traveling, if that is what you are looking for, I think the Wing is a better choice, especially if you are riding 2 up. I think wind management and protection is better on the Wing. If you more interested in looks, than the Road Glide is a better looking machine. If you looking for 200 - 300 mile days the Road Glide seems more than capable. If you're looking for days at 500+ I think the Wing is unbeatable. I also think the Wing is more nimble and sport like in its suspension than the Road Glide. I also think that accessorizing the bike is easier and less costly on the Wing. (But what's cheap these days).

So IMHO both bikes are great and it depends on what you are looking for out of your ride. Good luck with your decision whether you stay or change. Ride safe..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchasing 2008 Goldwing

Thank you for your replies. At this point I am holding off but my revisit that option in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts