Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding over 16 years, am 71 yrs. old. In great shape, 5'10, 175 lbs.
Previous ride was a 1992 BMW K75. Feet were getting numb because of the position so tried a 1600 Nomad and bought one.
It's 3 years old and never had any problems. My wife decided to start riding her own bike and after a 250 moved to a Kawa 900 2 years ago. She has a little bit of a problem keeping up and indicated recently that perhaps we should get one bigger bike and she would be happy riding 2 up.
Now the dilemma. Kawa is coming out with a new 1700 Voyager but it's still a V-twin.
Thinking a BMW again but think perhaps a Goldwing might be the best solution.
I have ridden with, (maybe chased is a better word) some riders on Wings. These guys rode them like sport bikes. Had a hard time keeping up on the Nomad.
I keep reading that Goldwings ride like lot lighter bikes because of the weight distribution.
I would think the smoothness would also be an advantage over any V-twin.
I've ridden Harleys (can't stand the vibs), tested the Victory Visions for a few thousand mile. (ugly mothers).
Haven't had the opportunity to ride a Wing.
My question is, "Are they all they are claimed to be?"
I know this is a Honda Forum and it might be a little biased but thought I'd ask.
I appreciate any info/input you could provide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, in my view they are all they are claimed to be. You can be sure there is no problem riding 2 up. For me, the greatest test is when I come to a stop. I want to make a smooth stop, I want to keep it up right, and I don't "walk" with my feet when the machine is still moving. Once it begins to lean a little at the stop, especially with 2 up, you will certainly feel its weight. From time to time I need strong arms to keep it from leaning too much. I'm 5'10, 65 years old and in GOOD shape. And we enjoy the GoldWing so much!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Riding a goldwing is a lot like riding in a lincoln continental or any other luxury car. The bike floats down the road, quite as a whisper and more power than one needs on 2 wheels. Yes it is all that and a bag of cheetos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 55 and in pretty good shape. I have had my goldwing for a little over a week. It is my first motorcycle. I love the ride...power...all the modern conveniences. I have to agree about the balance when stopped with 2 up, just takes a little more attention to what's going on. When trying out different motorcycles it was a lot easier for me to maneuver than the other brands. I highly recommend the goldwing, but I only have 1500 miles experience.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
i have wanted a wing since i was 25. that said i may be biased in my opinion. i rarely ride two up and only five of the motorcycles i have owned have not been hondas. from my z50a to my 1500 all my hondas have been all that and especially my wings

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just switched over to a GL1800 after "muscling" a top heavy Royal Star Venture motorcycle for the past 6 years. The biggest thing going for a Goldwing is the low center of gravity which makes handling the Wing quite easy at low and high speeds. If you are thinking of purchasing a touring machine I would strongly recommend the GL1800 over any other machine in its class. (includes Victory, HD Ultra, RSV, BMW)
If you are going to invest serious money in a touring machine I would only suggest that you take them all out for a run and see for yourself. I did, and the GL1800 wins hands down almost straight across the board.
P.S. Do not ride a Goldwing first, otherwise you may not be interested in trying any other bike. :eek:)
Good Luck

M

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like the others have said the Wing is King. I am the owner of an 1800 and this is my 4th wing. The 1800 is close to 50 pounds lighter than the 1500 wing and is shows. I am 58, 6' 1" and tip the Toledos at 205 and two up is just as easy as solo. I recently went on a run with my wife on the back. The mountain trip to Prescott, Arizona is loaded with curves. At no time was I concerned over having a passenger. I agree that you should try some others first but am pretty certain you will pick the Wing. I was at the Glendale, Cycle World show today and watched Harley owner and his wife sit on a wing. All I could hear his wife saying was "this is awesome" when she sat in the back seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an '02 Goldwing. I am 63, 170 lbs. & 6'., & in pretty good shape. Technolically, the bike is excellent. Very fast and gets great mileage. It's smooth and has all the bells & whistles like stereo, AM FM , plus CB and grip heater. It cruises at 95 like it wants to go faster. If your legs are weak or your balance is bad, forget it unless you get or make it into a Trike. It's as fun as flying... I am a pilot. There is no other touring bike in its class in my opinion. The first week I had it I put 3500+ miles on it! Oakland-Portland, OR & WA coast, BC, Salt Lake & Albuquerque. Great fun! Great 2 up also!

·
Registered
10 Posts
wing is the bike to get

I switched bikes from a C90T SUZUKI full dressed touring bike. I thought I had a good bike.But I had junk compared to the 2008 1800 pearl white goldwing I now own.I am 6'2 260 lbs.This bike handles so well,great power,smooth and so much better balanced then my Suzuki touring bike.If you test drive a goldwing, you will buy it !!!! they are one amazing all around bike that does not beat you up, and I cant get tierd of riding this bike.I went back and fourth between the wing and the harley, but not until I test drove the wing, and I have riden many harleys: The goldwing was the bike I had to buy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I didn't mention before that I briefly owned a Harley. I felt that everyone should have the "Harley experience" once in their lives. Well that experience lasted an entire 297 miles before I went to the Honda dealer and wheeled and dealed till I got "most" of my money back on a trade for the Honda. Best thing I ever did. This Wing is my 9th Honda and I will never stray from the flock again, I swear!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
GL stands for Grand Luxury............I am a believer! :) So much I'm on my second one. The first was a 1985 GL-1200 Aspy which had 139,000 miles on it when I sold it and I've got 39,000 on my current GL-1800. I've rode many bikes since 1978 and the Goldwing by far is the best for my style of riding. I like to ride across the country. Good luck in whatever you buy and ride safe!! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am on my 13 bike in my 47 years and the last purchase was an 05 GW last summer. I rode and older version from the 80's and 90's and they (sorry guys) road like sleds. Like a Caddy and it didn't appeal to me. A freind made me try his 04 and I was hooked. Total different frame design handles much lighter then it looks. I scrape the pegs a lot and I sometimes forget which bike I am riding. One of my other bikes is a 1985 V65 Magna which looks like a shadow but runs like a crotch rocket. So the Wing is fast is enough but not to fast. I may have to up grade to a 2000 in a few years. Ride one most people are not disappointed and usually surprised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was trying to make the same decision you are now. I had a Kawasaki Nomad. I sold it because it just didn't do what I wanted. We bought a new goldwing and the second weekend we had it we rode more miles in one day than any one day on the Nomad that we had for 4 years. BUY THE GOLDWING you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Goldwing

I happen to be selling my 82 here in Texas with 26K showing on the clock. It too has an aftermarket CD with new speakers too. It has excellent tires and everything works. I'm selling her to pay for my new 1500. If you are interested I'll let her go for only $2750 I also have pics to send if interested Call if ya wanna. (254)479-0018...John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts