Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating moving to a goldwing. Is it an improvement overall? I did test ride a goldwing was happy with the ride but didnot drive it for less than an hour. I do short trips presently and at times stop and go driving.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Marco v

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's a great bike, great for around town and better on long trips, you won't be disappointed. If you have any doubts, I would say rent one for a day first. There are several guys that have switched and never looked back,

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Marco, I still have my heritage and like the bike, but to tell you the truth, I love my wing more. The HD will not compare with the ride nor the power. Just got back from a ride to D.C. for Rolling Thunder and the ride was outstanding. If someone would offer me a good price for the Heritage I would sell it and not look back. Now, had you asked that four months ago, I would have told you I was a Harley man forever. I only had 77000 miles on my Heritage when the engine went. I need a bike that can last longer as I ride all the time.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Agree with Joe's advice on the rental Marco. The Roadglide is very different from the Wing as is the Roadglide to an Ultra, but in different ways. Harleys are in general more of a laid back type of machine than Wings are IMO. Wings have always been special for me and my wife too, but the Roadking was only 'alright' for her. Performance and road manners are where it's at in my mind, and the Wing is just tops in my book.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada Marco (I have to be specific as budoka's from another part on the country) :). I have always loved Harleys for the fun factor. For serious riding, give me the Wing. As someone once mentioned in this forum, "I ride too far, too fast and too often to ride a Harley"....but they do put a smile on my face:)
Strat

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I think you answered your own question when you began contemplating a switch to a Goldwing. The Harley does have a certain "wow" factor, but for me the comfort, driveability and reliability of Wing is what makes it my choice.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Goldwings have had extensive windtunnel testing and evaluation since the '84 models and have been constantly improved since then. There was an ad poster with a Wing rider and passenger in the tunnel with 60 mph wind and rain sprayed at them to show the "still air bubble" and weather protection created by the '84's fairing and windshield. Pretty amazing photo actually. On the newer models, some of the taller riders have mentioned some buffetting around the head area, but I have noticed none of it on my '09 (I'm 5'11").

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I knew one HD guy who bought a new Wing and within a few months traded back to a Harley. The Wing didnt feel right. Hey do what ya gotta and do it now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
08 and 09 vs 2010

Just a thought, there are brand new 08's available at good discounts. The only different is no air pressure monitor or XM on the 08'.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tested a 2010 goldwing today.It is smooth,responsive great machine , however my problem is a height issue stopping and placing feet down seem to be a problem and I feel uncomfortable. I am unsure with the purchase. There is something special about riding a Harley if height was not an issue I would make the purchase with confidence any comments would be appreciated

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Marco, a couple of the members here have gotten special boots to deal with the vertical challenge they have (sorry I can't recall the brand). Hopefully someone with a better command of memory will chime in and help out. Unless it's a really long reach for you, once you get used to the feel of the Wing, it likely won't be an issue for very long thanks to the great balance of Goldwings. 95% of the time I'm at a complete stop before I even take my foot off the peg.

·
Registered
466 Posts
thanks to the great balance of Goldwings. 95% of the time I'm at a complete stop before I even take my foot off the peg.
I thought I was the only one! It's kinda like a game for me. Every day to and from work, I come to complete stops thru my neighborhood stop signs and try do them at a complete stop with never putting my feet down.

I would say I have about a 95% success rate. The other 5% is when I get stuck behind someone who likes to stop for several seconds before moving outa my way! And of course there are a few times when I just plain yinged when I should have yanged and need a foot or two to help me out.

All in all though, this is the most balanced bike I ever had for as big as it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just traded my 2006 Harley Streetglide. I had it for 4 years, and had a softtail before that, and I bought a new Goldwing with all the bells and whistles.....no, I won't go back! The ride is amazingly better. I can't wait for the first trip!

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Tested a 2010 goldwing today.It is smooth,responsive great machine , however my problem is a height issue stopping and placing feet down seem to be a problem and I feel uncomfortable. I am unsure with the purchase. There is something special about riding a Harley if height was not an issue I would make the purchase with confidence any comments would be appreciated
you could get an after market seat that is lower

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I apprceiate all the comments and advice,however the numbers from the dealer are not favorable at this time. I still think that a goldwing will be possible in the future.Might wait for the 2011's to come available and maybee make a deal for a leftover.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I apprceiate all the comments and advice,however the numbers from the dealer are not favorable at this time. I still think that a goldwing will be possible in the future.Might wait for the 2011's to come available and maybee make a deal for a leftover.
Don't wait too long my friend. There WILL NOT be any 2011 models from what I understand. They stopped making them in 2009, shut the plant down and moved it to Japan.

I hear the next model will be in 2012 and no one know just exactly what it will be yet.
If you want an AMERICAN MADE Goldwing, you better get while the gett'in's good. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slight shortage by the time 2012's get here.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Marco - I bought Tallmanshoes and they gave me 4 extra inches. That was last year but this year I have not worn them yet as I am a lot more comfortable with the "Big Bike". I also bought a book called "Maximum Control - mastering your heavy bike" and have been doing a lot of slow speed work and it has made a world of difference. This book would be a great read for anyone riding a big bike including a Harley. Which way to go was a very hard decision for me but I know I made the right decision for me but I do have to listen to the paint shackers I ride with talk about my sewing machine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts