Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

So I have my eye on a 1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100. But being a lady, not as big and husky as some of you fellows on here, not sure if it is too big for me. I am by no means a petite little thing, but I am not an amazon either lol I am not worried about the CC's mind you. The weight and bulk is what I am wondering about. The only street bike I have ridden was a Honda CB650, I think it was a 79.

I want one because I want to be able to hop on it and go 200 or 1200 miles in comfort. Also I would feel a bit safer on a bigger bike. So opinions. Also any suggestions when it comes to buying one. It has 49000 miles on it. A friend told me to see when the timing belt was changed last too. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
7,584 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried the bike to see how it would feel to you. There are ladies riding the Goldwing F6B and that is large in comparison to the GL1100.
The engine design keeps the weight low (as in to the bottom of the motorcycle).
Are you looking at a GL1100 Standard or an Interstate with full touring dress?

·
Super Moderator
7,584 Posts
If you like it and the price is right and as one of our members says, "If it sings the ride me home song", its meant to be.
My last bike didn't sing the song, it just yelled "take me home" and I am the proud owner of a GL650I that will be restored.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL Well they want 1700 which is pretty good for the shape it is in. Still need to see it and hear it though, but it has low miles to. Seen a few with higher miles that was more.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
go see it kat and sit on it too you don't say how tall you are so make sure it fits you. 1100 trunks seem to be detachable anyway but I'm not sure they are all that way. if the rack is still there its just a matter of bolting the trunk back on when needed. yes change the timing belts before that make sure the stator is charging the battery before you purchase the bike or you'll be spending about $1200 to have someone replace it or have to have an external alternator installed

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
We need a few more details here. What is your age ,measurements, and weight ?
Even you should know better than to ask a woman questions like that, Marine.

·
Super Moderator
14,111 Posts
I don't think you should be intimidated by the weight. It's all balance to keep it upright no matter how big you are. I'm not stopping even a smaller bike once it gets tipped over too far. That is a nice looking bike and there are many here who can clue you in on what's needed to keep it running.

Welcome from Mississippi and I hope that one sings the "ride me" song.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I'm with Mark on his response, you need to "feel" the bike to be sure. Welcome and good luck with your hunt.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Put a volt meter on the battery with the engine off, then do it again with teh bike running and see how much variance there is in readings. If it's higher than while stopped you're getting charge.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
simple stator test. start the bike and let it idle ( with the engine warm ) keep an eye on the head light and rev the motor to about 2500 rpm, the headlight should brighten up some and dim down when you let the motor return to idle. most stators don't start charging until about 2000 rpm

·
Registered
348 Posts
We need a few more details here. What is your age ,measurements, and weight ?
Ha Ha, what's important more than other things on bikes nowadays is if your feet reach the ground. The Wing doesn't feel heavy till you let it lean while stopped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that one I wanted is out lol I did find a 1979 Goldwing, 1000 cc one in my price range. My dad had one for a while. It was fun. But some jerk pulled out in front of him, he did not crash but, that was that. He sold it and said he would never ride a street bike again. This bike has 46000. These bikes okay or look for something newer? Like the looks of it. But I like older rigs anyway lol

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
my niece had a '79 wing and we both really liked it, I wouldn't mind having one. does the one you are looking at have bags and a fairing or is it necked? you'll still need to check the stator and if you buy it you'll still need new timing belts

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
looks like you are about ready for a road trip. maybe there will be a M&G near enough to you so you can meet some of the forum members

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.