Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a full dressed 79 goldwing with only 28000miles. It's on consignment and the guy want $2750, what he paid for it.
The shop it's at said they did $1100 worth of work. The bike is really clean and looks great !!!!! What are the pros and cons of buying a bike this old ?

Ted S

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You could have trouble finding parts for it or finding someone to work on it. With a bike that old there is always the possibility that seals and gaskets will start to leak due to age,

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it has been maintained it should be a decent ride for sure. But remember.....it's 31 years old and stuff just happens. Expect it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on shop rates and part costs $1100.00 bucks may not buy alot of work. Bike that old I'd want to be sure the timing belts are new, carbs are synced and rebuilt, valves adjusted, all fluids - including brake - is new. marcsvette has a good point. Older bikes just require more stringent oversight. I have an '81 standard. Bought it last fall and absolutely love it and use it for a daily work commute and weekend long rides. But it keeps me on my toes. :)
Ride safe,
jm

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ted from the Keystone state. Like others have said the main thing is the availability of parts for a bike that old. But, if the seller gets what he wants and you are happy to give it, then it's a good deal for everyone. Still some miles left in that Wing. Ride safe..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts