Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at purchasing a Goldwing. 1980 Goldwing with 17,000 miles for $3000.00. In all honesty this sounds to me to be potentially a good deal. I am nervous as all get out about it being 30 years old and only having 17,000 miles. (Does that make sense?) Everything I read on here about Goldwings seems like this bike or at least a Goldwing would be a perfect fit for me (300 lbs., 45, want to ride and enjoy it with my wife or kids). Please offer some advice if you can.
Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been looking at purchasing a Goldwing. 1980 Goldwing with 17,000 miles for $3000.00. In all honesty this sounds to me to be potentially a good deal. I am nervous as all get out about it being 30 years old and only having 17,000 miles. (Does that make sense?) Everything I read on here about Goldwings seems like this bike or at least a Goldwing would be a perfect fit for me (300 lbs., 45, want to ride and enjoy it with my wife or kids). Please offer some advice if you can.
Thanks
Is this your first Bike ? It's a good choice in bikes, miles are great.But seems a little high in price. Check out Blue Book. Also be prepared to stick a few hundred into it to make sure it's safe. 70,80,90 thousan miles is nothing for these GW's but there is always up keep like tires , batteries, belts Etc. I just bought a 1982 A, and it looked like show room when I looked at it, how ever looking real close and asking questions it needed a $10000 to get up to par, especially for safety. asking price was $2600, I bought for $2000

Make sure you don't jump right away, get help!!
WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
137 Posts
It sound like a great bike (milage wise)--- but the price does seem to be a bit steep-- here we would only pay that much for that year if it was of showroom quality ---$1500 to $2000 sound a lot closer --- you can offer -- the worst that can happen is for him to say no!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ridden for a few years now. Nothing too big, but always feel like the clown in the circus trying to ride the little bike. Would most likely spend some hours in our school parking lot just to get used to the different bike. Usually do that every spring anyway. Thanks for the advice, will certainly make an offer at the lower price and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF jbhsgj. before taking the wife or anyother passengers make sure you feel comfortable riding solo and make sure you don't exceed the carring capacity of the bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just bought a 1983 model gl1100 interstate i love it. beautiful bike with lots of potential. i would go for it!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Price does sound a bit high, but if it's been well maintained could be ok if it's good to go as is. Check the tyres, hoses (all), fuel lines, fork seals, find out about the timing belts and all the necessary stuff that needs to be sound before you make the plunge. If the previous owner has been meticulous it could be a bargain. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts