Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm considering buying a wing and have a few questions. I (for some reason) seem to like the looks of the 1200 over the 1500, but like the HP and Torque #'s of the 1500. Being that the 1500 is heavier, is the 1200 quicker/faster than the 1500?(i read some where in here: no) I have been browsing around on different forums and the WWW trying to find this out; Do any of the 1200's have reverse? my father in law says he had one that did, but sold it awhile ago. Which 'Wings had reverse??
I've read about stator issues on the 1200. Years to avoid?
I've seen literally hundreds of 'Wings pulling trailers and am thinking of one myself for an upcoming trip. Now i'm not concerned about pulling a trailer, but is it detrimental to the longevity of the bike?(FiL says he wont even consider a bike that has a hitch on it. Thinks it messes the tranmission and final drive. True?
Love the site and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks again for the wealth of info.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Get a Red 1500 they are the fastest thing around:D
Seriously, I never heard of a stock 1200 with reverse, might have been some aftermarket don't really. The 1200 stator was an issue, this is an aftermarket mod to replace the alternator.
My 93 has 188,OOO Plus miles on it, I've pulled a trailer at least 60,000 miles, still running all the original engine,transmission and rear end. Pulling a trailer might hurt the running gear but at what point I couldn't say.
Lots of luck in your search. There are a lot of good wings out there.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The stators in all 1200's were suspect. It's the wire harness actually and not so much the stator itself. No reverse on 1200's, and the Interstate models of 1500's had no reverse either. The 1500 is more powerful than the 1200, but the performance #'s on any of them aren't really significantly better as the engine's displacement increased; more of a 'seat of the pants' thing I think (I've had 1200, 1500 and 1800 models). I pulled trailers with both 1200 and 1500 and never had a single issue with increased wear and tear and probably close to 100,000 km between the two bikes/trailers combined. There was a definite drop in giddyup with the trailer behind the 1200, but not as much with the 1500, although certainly not a hinderance. I loved my 1200 thought there was nothing that could surpass it... until I rode a 1500 so it's largely personal preferrence and what kind of deal you can find. Our supermod detdrbuzzard has one of each and I don't think he really has a favourite of the two. Perhaps he does and I just don't remember though. Our resident Aussie Eric has one of each and he still loves his 1200.
I haven't been to Whitehorse in many years so I hope it's treating you well and not too cold. Welcome to the site!:D

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i still love my 1200 aspencade and think its a great bike despite the stator issues but i think the 1500 despite weighing more is an all around better bike and if i were going to pull a trailer i would do it with my 1500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. And yes its COLD. -34 w/ a windchill of -48 today. As a born and raised yukoner, one would think a guy would get used to it. now i've seen ALOT colder than this and I think I should be thankful, but, I think i'm really starting to hate the cold.(really cramps my riding season). Any of you folks come up this way... let me know, i'll flash up the BBQ.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
About all I can add is the 1500 has more 'room'. If you have long legs you'll be a bit more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That's cold alright. When it gets close to the -40 range here, it is seldom windy so wind chill only affects the sledders and such. I hear you on the two seasons you mentioned in the intro post, but you fogot the black flies:eek: The pic below is from one of the cooler days last week, -34 and you can see the ice fog hanging over the island:(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
That's cold alright. When it gets close to the -40 range here, it is seldom windy so wind chill only affects the sledders and such. I hear you on the two seasons you mentioned in the intro post, but you fogot the black flies:eek: The pic below is from one of the cooler days last week, -34 and you can see the ice fog hanging over the island:(
that pic would make a good winter time post card

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've read some 1/4 mile #'s for all the Goldwing models and the 1200 was actually faster than the 1500.Not sure at all who did the testing so take it with a grain of salt.I've had 2 1200's and am still riding a 1500 and the 1500 pulls way better to me.I also noticed that I have to shift a lot less with the 1500.Especially running places like the BRP and Skyline Drive on those really long grades.Just roll on the throttle and it just pulls even when 2-up and fully loaded.Other than maybe the 1200 parts being a bit harder to find I don't think you could go too far wrong with either bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.