Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a GW but the first two I tried left me feeling like I was riding a rubber band. These were not new and the first was in 1992 a friends 1989? 1500 , and then last year I rode a 93 if I remember right?
But I still want one! After doing some research I read that in 95 the suspension was beefed up (more or less).

I do not do long distance traveling but I like having the space to haul a few things and the idea of comfort.
A 1800 is not in my budget, so a 1500 looks like the object of this inquiry.

I've been riding since I was 12 and duly licensed since i was 14 (58 now). I have no idea how many MC's i have owned but more than 50 for sure. Two years ago I owned a Valk for about a year and have a Harley Deuce at this time That I seldom ride.
So, my question is do you guys think a 95 -2000 GW would be a wise choice just for local commuting or should i just get a scooter?

Thanks, Gabriel

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 1500 is a big, heavy, go down the road a long way comfortable bike. If around town puttering is all you have planned may I suggest one of the new 'scooters', the SilverWing, Burgman or the like. I was riding behind a 650 Burgman and I couldn't keep up on my GL1800. It probably weighed half of the wing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1500 is a big, heavy, go down the road a long way comfortable bike. If around town puttering is all you have planned may I suggest one of the new 'scooters', the SilverWing, Burgman or the like. I was riding behind a 650 Burgman and I couldn't keep up on my GL1800. It probably weighed half of the wing.[/QUOTE
Thanks,
I had a Burgman and i liked it, but all I needed was a clown suit and a circus sign because I'm 6.1 @ 300 lbs plus I live in Texas so I have almost no short commutes. there is a jack in the box and a post office where I live.
It is about 8 miles to the nearest destination. i should also mention I'm retired. (more or less)

·
Registered
64 Posts
With all those years of riding on several different bikes Gabriel, you yourself are probably the best judge of what you should ride. I'm surprised that your last experience on a GL1500 was not so pleasant. Was the suspension adjusted hard enough, and were the tires pumped up enough for a big guy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all those years of riding on several different bikes Gabriel, you yourself are probably the best judge of what you should ride. I'm surprised that your last experience on a GL1500 was not so pleasant. Was the suspension adjusted hard enough, and were the tires pumped up enough for a big guy?
Well until you ride a bike for awhile it is hard to tell if it is unsuitable for your needs, that is unless you disliked it from the start
For example the Honda ST1100 I bought last year was so hot on my legs around town I could hardly stand it. This did not show up right away, I rode it home 270 miles at freeway speeds and it was not a problem, the guy I bought it from said he never had that problem (he was like 5 8" and I'm 6.1"). I sold it because of this. I did read some complaints on forums about this but not many, so maybe you must be long legged to have the problem? I like the bike other than that.

Someone here may say something like Goldwings have a huge turning circle and you will hate that, or slow speed handling is poor.
Or theses bikes are strictly for touring and nothing else.
Though these probably do not apply they are the sorts of comments I'm looking for.

Let me explain the handling characteristics I am talking about.
Sitting on the bike moving the handlebar back and forth the tire lagged the handlebars, as a matter of fact it was always behind the curve. Ridding at say thirty you could move the handlebars back and forth fast and the bike bearly responded.
The 1996 I looked at today did not do that sitting still. I did not ride it but I think it would be ok?
It was a little rough otherwise I would have bought it.

I'm just here at this time trying to make the best decision. I may do some traveling if I really like the wing?
I really like the looks and the seating on the wings and if owning one is not going to be a pain, I want one.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF gabriel. you said you rode a couple toher wings and they felt like rubberbands but did you set the air susepension to suite you? maybe your friends with goldwings like their ride soft and are running low pressure in the forks and shocks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello and welcome to GWOF gabriel. you said you rode a couple toher wings and they felt like rubberbands but did you set the air susepension to suite you? maybe your friends with goldwings like their ride soft and are running low pressure in the forks and shocks
It was fork "slop" that I felt. There is probably a after market piece to help with this for I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed this
Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The 1500 ia a bad choice, because once you find out how great they are you will wonder how great the 1800's are and want one of those. Buy it!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since this came back up to the top allow me to comment:

My 1500 was a great straight line bike but I preferred my 1200 for overall comfort. The 1800 is so much better than either.

Find a way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts