Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a VTX 1300 now. I'd like to buy a used 08 GoldWing. I've got an opportunity for one with only 1700 miles. The owner says that he's too tall at 6'4". Is that possible?

Also, what does the "GL" stand for?

I would like some thoughts on some pros and cons of the 08 GoldWing.

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went from the VTX to the Goldwing too. It can be too cramped for bigger riders. Taller riders tell me that their knees feel too tight next to the fairing.

No idea what GL stands for, and I own one. Go figure. Most people just say the GL1800 is the "model" identifier. Like, what does VTX stand for?

I would recommend you go to the dealership and sit on one, no kidding, for like an hour. They take a little getting used to. They are a little sporty, in seating position, and powerband and they are wicked comfy rides compared to a VTX.

At first it'll feel like a battleship and then it starts to get smaller feeling as you get used to it. Mine has more "touring" tools on board than you can really use/imagine coming from a VTX.

The first time I turned on the heating system and tooled to work I thought I was in some kind of twilight zone movie. Its amazing.

I do miss the rider space of the VTX and the heel shifter, but we all adapt for what we like/want.

Many dealers allow you to test drive a Goldwing. Just don't be too surprised if it feels like too much bike at first. Again, they feel smaller with only a week or two of practice on it.

I can't think of any big negatives, except the price. The good news is that they are worth the money, in my opinion. The other minor point is that it takes a little time to learn to ride (compared to the VTX) and the seating position isn't as comfortable as you might imagine. Cruisers are really comfy for limited timeframes and touring bikes are designed for long term sitting (but that doesn't necessarily equate to comfy).

The big benefit for me was the wind protection. Its superb. It has a lot of cool stuff, potentially. I like the sound system (even though I had one on my VTX as well). The heating system, cruise control, and the integrated GPS are nice too. Overall, I like the weight, stability, confidence on the highway, and the overall power also.

I kept both bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

Do you think that an 08 with 1700 miles for $19000 is a good price. It's the model down from the top with an airbag.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I do, but I'm not an expert on such things. I found, personally, after spending $21,000 for mine with 0 miles that I felt it was a good deal. I tell all my friends "If I had more money I've could've bought a Harley, except ofcourse that I wouldn't want one" :)

One big difference that I forgot to mention with the transition is the seat width prevents me from flat footing the bike with both feet at stops. I got used to that also, pretty quick. With a good stop and one foot down (with the other on the rear brake) I can flat foot it just fine.

I, generally, consider a GW with all its "stuff" as a pretty good deal in motorycling. At first though, remember that things like Reverse might take you a while to really care about or appreciate. I still just push my bike back like most other bikers.

Make sure you get the owners manual, either from the seller, or from Honda, as there are many switches and requirements that are not intuitive. For example, in order to adjust the rear seat dampener the bike has to be in neutral, the cruise won't work over 100mph, the heated seats don't work when its 70 degrees out, the headlight adjuster doesn't move both headlights, etc.

Great fun to ride though. I actually sit on mine at night in the garage, just to bond.

I'm going to try and send you a PM.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
don't think about it, do it! get a wing!! how tall are you? you know that you can get a saddelman road sofa made for you. they will move the step in the seat back for more room, add or remove padding in the seat to change the height

·
Registered
5 Posts
Q for detdrbuzzard

Because you once rode a 79' CB750F, which was the only bike I ever owned 25 years ago (sold it after married/kids), I have a question. Now that I've put my kids through college and made sacrifices to be a good father, owning a bike again is something I'd like to do for me, with the idea that my wife and I can share some adventures. The obvious choice appears to be the Goldwing (target: yellow 2005!).
My question: is a Goldwing too much bike to get back into the sport with? I'm very cautious, and plan to ride solo until confident handling the Wing. I'm considering an MSF course, but it appears very basic. I'm 6'2 185lb, she's 5'4 120lb. Any advice? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surfinagin,
I also took a 25 year break from ridding. I had a early '80s CB750K as my last bike before I stopped ridding. The Goldwing is my third bike after re-joining the sport. The Wing is nothing like your '79 CB750F. Take the MSF ridding course. The Goldwing is an awesome maching but a lot of bike for a someone who hasn't ridden for 25 years. You may want to consider something a little lighter that you can still ride with your SO until you re-gain your ridding ability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tomksr

Thanks for your reply. I'm now thinking a better idea/compromise may be the '05-06 Concours: @600lbs, not as imposing, and a smaller investment to get started. The Wing can come later, if my wife enjoys the bike and use it enough to justify moving up.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
you need to get comfortable with any new bike before taking on a passenger. i got my 1200 aspy last september and did not ride anyone until spring of this year. i got my 1500 august 01 of this year and did not ride anyone for about a month. i want to get a feel for a bike solo before riding two up. i had been off a bike for almost eleven years before getting the aspy last year. i don't think a wing is too much bike to start back riding on its not like you don't know what you are doing. caution and confidence

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree, don't put off getting a wing over uncertainty. My last wing was a 1990 1500 that I sold in 1992. I got back into the sport this spring with a new 08 1800. Awesome bike. I got on it at the dealer to ride it home and it was just like I had come home again. I rode it home, a total of 2 miles and parked it. Looked it over real well and then backed it out of the garage, put the wife on the back and we went for a short run. For my wife it was her first time on the back of a motorcycle. It was love at first ride for her. The bike is, for me very easy to ride. This is my 4th wing. Don't short change yourself. Go for it!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
eleven years ago i had a katana 1100. last bike before getting the '84 1200 aspy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do It

I just traded in my VTX 1300S yesterday - I was also a bit hesitant until I rode the Wing - remember the first time you cracked the throttle open on the VTX and it roared to life? Well, the smile on your face will be a lot bigger when you ride the Wing. :D I have riden the VTX on some very long road trips and I'm sure you've experienced the pain of the VTX seat - I'm looking forward to long trips on the Wing - the VTX just got painful after a couple of hours and several hundred miles. Great 150 mile bike.

I take delivery next week as I added a few "shiney items" to the bike. Best of luck on your decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts