Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been thinking about a tent trailer. i ride a 08 GW .i'd like any feedback.any of my GW bros out there have any stories good or bad that you think someone new to mc towing schould know.
thanks up front for any input.
RIDE SAFE

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7905

I asked the same thing this past year. above is the thread

So far, 3 trips and all great experiences. Karen's shoebox, I mean, the trailer hasn't been a hassle at all. Just be aware that in heavy traffic, someone may try to slide in right behind you to change lanes and not even be aware you are pulling a trailer. You want plenty of lights so it is seen-not just the bike. Someone here said NOT to match the paint as cagers just won't notice the trailer at all.
I added a stern, boat light that telescopes high enough that hopefully a trucker could see in the dark. (all the running lights were 12 inches off the ground). I also added a spoiler light I bought on wingstuff that would typically go on the trunk.

I think it's important to also consider load shifting around a turn. For my trailer, I changed out 6 bolts/nuts that bolted the box to the frame with small eyebolts (on the inside) and added bungy cords to create 6 compartments inside. Along with anti skid matting (used in toolbox drawers) it keeps the gear and bags from moving around. As you are talking tent, I would pay attention to the gear inside and make sure it is secured in some way.

Good luck, use normal precautions as with any trailer but don't overthink it once you are on the road. I forget it's back there now except my rpms are 150 higher at the same highway speed and gas mileage dips to about 4 or 5 miles per gallon.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I have a tag along cargo trailer. If I did more long distance touring, I would upgrade to a camper trailer. I could see myself pulling into a truck stop and setting that up in 3 minutes and taking that necessary 1 hour nap when doing 14 hour days on the road. As it is, when I get tired, I have to end my day with finding a camp ground and setting up my tent and ending my travels for the day.

My tag along came from Harbor Freight for $300 which required to be assembled.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We have a Kwik Kamp tent trailer we've pull all over the country may 40,000 mile. It will cost you some fuel mileage. Might look around for a good used tent trailer. The new ones can be pretty costly. Remember just because you have a trailer doesn't mean you have cram it full.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Hey Larry, how does that pull behind the Wing. It certainly is low cost. Just wondering how it handles compared to the "exotic" trailers out on the market for a lot more $$$.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I had a Spirit fiberglass when we did the 3500 mile round trip from Seattle to Phoenix. I wanted a new, color matched trailer, so I sold it and bought this one.

This one was certainly cheap enough with the 20% off coupon.

It pulls fine at 75 mph loaded with 125 lbs of camping gear. I would like to say I don't know it is back there, but in reality I am always giving the trailer its consideration so I rarely pull it at 75 mph. I only have about 500 miles on it.

Note: The instructions said to not pull it faster than 50 mph. That is a cya post. I know a few other owners of this trailer and they have not had any problem pulling it at Interstate speeds. The tires had a much higher speed rating and there certainly is nothing wrong with the bearing setup and suspension system.

Also, if anyone is interested in buying this trailer, Harbor Freight has stopped selling this online and only stocks it in the store and will discontinue it after the store stocks are gone. Call local stores and see if they have any in stock.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Thanks for the info Larry. I've thought about having a trailer for those occasions when my daughter comes along and there is extra stuff to bring, but I could never justify the big $$ to buy one. For someone who needs occasional extra space this might be a good alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Store stock

I had a Spirit fiberglass when we did the 3500 mile round trip from Seattle to Phoenix. I wanted a new, color matched trailer, so I sold it and bought this one.

This one was certainly cheap enough with the 20% off coupon.

It pulls fine at 75 mph loaded with 125 lbs of camping gear. I would like to say I don't know it is back there, but in reality I am always giving the trailer its consideration so I rarely pull it at 75 mph. I only have about 500 miles on it.

Note: The instructions said to not pull it faster than 50 mph. That is a cya post. I know a few other owners of this trailer and they have not had any problem pulling it at Interstate speeds. The tires had a much higher speed rating and there certainly is nothing wrong with the bearing setup and suspension system.

Also, if anyone is interested in buying this trailer, Harbor Freight has stopped selling this online and only stocks it in the store and will discontinue it after the store stocks are gone. Call local stores and see if they have any in stock.
The Harbor freight in Huntsville Al. doesnt have them anymore ! I was gonna buy all they had , but they were gone when i got there ! I have about 2,000 miles on my trailer and have had no problem with it , running hwy speeds up to 90 mph. and it pulls great !

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Thanks for the info Larry. I've thought about having a trailer for those occasions when my daughter comes along and there is extra stuff to bring, but I could never justify the big $$ to buy one. For someone who needs occasional extra space this might be a good alternative.
I just can't do two up and camp without it. We must be junk demons, but I have a hard time doing two up and and do motel jumping. I have clothes, she has clothes..... rain gear. Motorcycle coats. Tools. Camera. GPS. Motorcycle cover. Condoms. In fact until I found the storage on the passenger storage door.... I had to leave the condoms at home.

I prefer the simplicity of solo motorcycle camping without the trailer, but I still have stuff sticking out everywhere when I do go.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Herself and I travelled for 12 years pulling a tent trailer, it was great. Had all our gear including a stove, habachi, folding chairs, folding table and umbrella, tent heater, dishes, cooler, propane cylinder (7lb) and enough food for 3 days (only stopped for ice & gas, & sights). Then I made the mistake of buying a 5th wheel, bye-bye tent tralier:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts