Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 93 Interstate with about 37K miles. The temperature gauge never goes up more than 1/4 of the scale while I am riding. I am wondering if maybe the thermostat is stuck in the open position. The gauge does start to ease slightly higher when I sit an idle for a while, but as soon as I take off the needle goes back down to 1/4 up from cold. Should I be worried about this? I am going to check the gas mileage to see if it is low. I am wondering whether the engine is ever getting up to the best operating temperature. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I would be worried. 1. The motor has to get to operating temp. Most wear is done when the motor is cold. It makes it hard work for the motor if it's running too cold. Maybe someone in their wisdom has taken the thormostat out. 2. A sticky thormostat can also stick closed aslo. Then the temp rises rapidly and will give a knocking sound like you can get from a hammer knock in your pipe line. So you don't want it to start working again to then stick closed. Because then you will be stuck on the side of the road and that is no fun. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Haven't had too many thermostats go sideways in our shop that I've heard of, but an auto wrench friend showed me a box of disguarded 'new' ones that didn't work. He tests every one of them before installing in a vehicle or marine engine. Like Eric said, the thermostat is important to maintaining your engine at the proepr temp. I'd have it looked at for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I talked with my local Honda dealer service manager and he said that it was not anything to worry about??? I am going to keep a close eye on the temperature gauge and maybe replace the thermostat the next time I get the oil changed. I have replaced several car thermostats in the past, but it looks like a bigger job on a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You may want to try this- Let the bike sit there and idol until the temp guage has quit rising. be sure choke is off. Then raise your rpm's up to 2,000 and in about three minutes your fans should come on. Of course the outside temp is going to have an affect on this time. Mine and most I know of will alow the fans to kick off again after a couple of moments when returned to idol. This tells you the thermostat is operating. If the valve covers are hot enough you can't hold the back of your fingers on them, the motor is hot enough. The guage is electronic and this may be where it is going to read at normal temp. Most guage readings very to some degree from bike to bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will try that. I have had the fans kick on when I had it idling and sitting still for a while, and after it has been running the valve covers are too hot to hold your hand against, so I think I may be okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 94SE with 95000 miles plus. My temp seldom gets past the 1/4 mark. If I sit in traffic ( usually an accident on I65 ) it will go up to half . I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mine also rarely gets past 1/2 only when riding a steady 90 on the interstate for several miles, it will get up to there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts