Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've only had my GL for a few days but it's already gotten more complements then any other bike I've owned in the past 34 years...and I had some nice ones. Since the day I brought it home, everyone in my neighborhood, wives and kids included, has ether stopped in front of the house to gawk at it from the street or come right up to the house to take a look at it up close, only to find that it does indeed look as good up close as it does from afar. But the best so far happened in Dubuque Iowa.

It was the first ride that my wife and I took when we picked the bike up from the dealer. We decided to travel southwest, and on the way stop off in Dubuque for lunch. Long story short, while travleing I hit some bee's and the clutch lever was as sticky as if you poured maple syrup on it. So on the way out of town we stopped at a store to get a bottle of water and a cloth to clean it off. We pulled into the parking lot and there was an elderly lady, (late 70's early 80's) riding an electric scooter heading for her car along with her daughter. The elderly lady stopped and exclaimed, “I couldn't even hear your motorcycle running”. The next thing we know she riding her scooter around the bike commenting on how beautiful it is and wanting to know what every button and switch does. As I explained and demonstrated everything on the bike, she was just in awe, and kept commenting how wonderful it all was and how beautiful it is.

Her daughter then explained that her mom started riding solo back in the 1940's and she rode Harley's until the late 70's. The daughter who I guessing is in her late 30's early 40's also rides. She has a Virago. She then said “Mom, this has everything but a toilet!” I jokingly told her perhaps I should check the owners manual; maybe I missed that feature.

I never realized until now, how alluring a Gold Wing is to people of all ages, whether they ride, had ridden in the past, or never rode before. This bike just turns peoples heads where ever I go. This is a totally new and unexpected experience for me. It's almost like having a custom show bike but better, as this is a machine not only to admire, but to ride...and to do so often and long. And it seems to invite you to do just that.

99% of my experience so far has been positive, although there is always one in every crowed. To date the only sour puss I've seen is, of all people, my next door neighbor. Since the first day I parked my new beauty in front of the house, he scowls at me and no longer talks to me. The funny thing is he never had any problem with my GS850 Suzuki or my XS1100 Yamaha chopper, but the GL is giving him heartburn. Sad to say but all I can attribute this to is jalousie. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'm not...bottom line is it doesn't really matter. The wife and I love this bike more then any other I've ever had in the past; and that it what truly matters.

Yep! There's just something about a Gold Wing! They just appeal to a wide verity of folks across the board. But you probably already know this, don't you. After all, why else would you be here. True?

Now if you all will excuse me...I'm going out for a nice long ride! :cool:

Dane :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dane,

Great to hear you are having fun...I own a '81 GW Intestate in great shape and still get people talking to me about my old bike....I am curious...I live north of Milwaukee....were you able to get a great deal from a WI dealer...I am looking into replacing my '81 with a '10...what model did you get?...I have been unable to get anywhere with the dealers around by me on price...looking to go out of state to see if I can get a better deal...maybe someday our paths will cross for a good ride...the Kettle Morine and Door County are great locations to ride...so is upper Michigan....I did a ride last October up near Hurley WI it was great... until I saw red lights in my mirrors:(...opps crossed into Michigan...helmet state...lucky the officer was a rider...let me off with a warning....Have fun riding...:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
You are oh so right Dane. Glad to hear that both of you are enjoying it so much already.I love the toilet comment. The last one like that that i got on my last ride came from a Harley owner,but he did have a smiling face while saying as we pulled in and parked "Hey everbody,there's one of those 2 wheel Lincoln's." So,i just politely told him his jealousy was showing,and everbody had a nice laugh. Then i told him if him and his posse would hang around for 30 min.or so we would be having ice cream,and that i knew his Harley was without that option. They loved it!! Also,my Wing isn't by any means the sharpest one around,has paint issues,the wheels need severe polishing,etc.,etc.,but,like you say,people with other bikes,or just people in parking lots & stuff will comment what a beautiful bike i have.So yes,there really is something special about a GoldWing!! Let's Ride!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They are beautiful bikes. When my wife and I would travel on ours (we have been in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota) we would pull into a parking lot to eat or at an attraction and just hope a tour bus wasn't there, those people, usually elderly or foreigners, had more question than you could imagine. My wife doesn't ride any more due to a back injury from work but I went on a 215 mile ride today and it is great feeling on the Wing.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Goldwings do attract the interest of others, riders and non-riders alike. They are especially attractive to the more elderly set (I think). They're visibly luxurious and that's the appeal. Most of us take extreme pride in our Wings' appearance, and the lusturous shine stands out like a neon sign. A magazine writer once noted that "Goldwings always look like they just left a detail shop" and it's often true. I sometimes get a bit embarrased when my bike sits in front of the dealership because it can get pretty dusty. Trouble is I can't just run out an polish it when I'm supposed to be working!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Dane, great story thanks for sharing. Wife & I just got back home about 1 1/2 hr ago from being on a nice afternoon ride & it was great to be out as well as seeing all the other bikes out as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Glad your Wing is bring you so much joy and center of attention. They are great bikes to be admired and to ride. Really enjoyed riding in your neck of the woods a few years back. Enjoy and ride safe..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went out today with my CMA chapter for our annual Run for the Son ride. 160 miles on the new wing today and loved it all, even the 20 miles of rain. (Thanks Tulsa Windshield) What I really like was when we needed to stop for fuel; everybody fuels while all of the Wings watch and drink coffee!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Neighbor

Il lbet neighbor doens't complain about the noise.(I had a GS 850 Suzuli also, 1983)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know what you mean.I have a 1984 and I get a lot of complements even though there are so many newer and more up date models around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are so right!!! I have even gotten positive comments from the toll lady who said she had never been on a motorcycle before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Morning ALL....I own a 95 Aspencade myself and WOW, it is a Pleasure to ride these Most Comfortable Bohemaths...I probably Spelled that wrong but forgive me. I just want to add one comment and not to Spoil the thread.....While you should Enjoy Your Ride and the Attention the Wing brings, just make sure you Never get so Involved with Attention that You Forget to Pay Attention....While they do bring Much Pleasure Always Remember that in just the Blink of an Eye....they can Bring Tragedy, Let Everyone Else do the Admiring while You remain Attentive to where you are going.....Safety must Always Come First. Always ASSUME Somebody is going to do something Wrong or Not See YOU....it will Keep you Safe and allow many years of Pleasurable and Safe Riding. Make sure if you do not Already have a Gremlin Bell Hanging from it that you Get ONE....and make sure it is Given from a Friend. Here is the link to Learn about Gremlin Bells.....http://www.gremlinbells.com/

·
Registered
219 Posts
As i stated in another thread i had a Harley for 16 years and she looked great, it attracted a lot of attention at first, mainly from the same type of people. Nowadays Harleys are all over the place and unless you have a crazy looking chopper no one takes a look . Since having my 2010 Goldwing for the last 4 weeks i have had a lot of attention from a wide group of people and a lot are elderly and 99% have given me great compliments, the other 1% who has bagged me and called me a granpa is my mate who rides a Harley. Its funny, some people just dont see common sense, oh well its his loss, i'm not the one complaining about how sore my butt is after a long ride :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
them goldwings look mighty nice but my '79 750k got sooo much more attention

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Had as 2003 BMW K1200 LT for 4 years..Was great ride but maintenance costs got out of hand..Also got a lot of "nice bike, what is it?".

Traded it for my 2008 GW last year on my birthday..
What a present for myself (with wife's approval, of course). It handles great and I haven't looked back since..I just can't stop smiling when I'm out for a ride..

It's my last bike I'll ever own..No regrets at all in deciding to own one..

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down..:)

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
So true!

My friend was on his 1988 GL1500 and I was on my 1984 GL1200 today. Mine happened to have the lower fairings and the battery cover off and we still got compliments! There is definitely something about a Goldwing!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm with you on the "Wing" magnet thing. People just stop and look. When they ask about comfort, I tell them don't feal sorry for someone on a GOLDWING. It's as nice as any convertiable car with the top down. Only half the wheels.:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like it when the general public makes positive comments about my Wing of course. But, what puzzles me at times is when I am out with my son riding and he gets more looks and comments about his 6k Ninja than I do with my 25k Wing. Its mind boggling but we both have a good laugh about it.

This guy in his mid-twneties walks out of the store and looks at the Ninja, which is parked right next to my Wing. The guy can't take his eyes off the Ninja - go figure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts