Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Poorboy conversion; changed oil & filter, coolant, rear drive oil; and replaced timing the timing belts. I finally got a chance to clean my new '85 Wing and took it for a nice long ride. It rides real nice, but I noticed a little miss/hesitation when under approximately 3000 rpm.

I took it out on the highway for about 50 miles and I don't notice the miss/hesitation at 65 mph. I read someone that a carb sync may be required. I purchased a HF vacuum gauge, but I'm waiting on the 6mm adapter.

On my way home, I stopped by the grocery store for some vittles for dinner and it's cool having storage compartments. The Wing will now become my daily commuter!

Some comparisons between my Wing and my VTX:
The Wing is more comfortable to ride.
The Wing has self-cancelling turn signals.
The Wing doesn't have a kickstand kill switch (I'm used to killing the engine by lowering the kickstand).
They're both 'Dallas Cowboy' Blue.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Congrats DJ! Carb sync might do the trick, and just for giggles, check your plug wires to make sure they are gripping the plug properly (check for cracks in the rubber shielding too). Loss of current can act like a fuel/air issue sometimes. I can't remember when exactly the sidestand switches came into play (I'll bet Joe does), so be careful you don't leave the stand down as it's real easy to do. Don't be afraid to use a good fuel conditioner every so often either. I used Bardahl Injector-Kleen on my '84 and it kept the carb slides from sticking (common problem back then).
DJ (also)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats DJ! Carb sync might do the trick, and just for giggles, check your plug wires to make sure they are gripping the plug properly (check for cracks in the rubber shielding too). Loss of current can act like a fuel/air issue sometimes. I can't remember when exactly the sidestand switches came into play (I'll bet Joe does), so be careful you don't leave the stand down as it's real easy to do. Don't be afraid to use a good fuel conditioner every so often either. I used Bardahl Injector-Kleen on my '84 and it kept the carb slides from sticking (common problem back then).
budoka, Thanks for the tip on the plug wires. I'll check them tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Good to here DJ. I'm sure we'll be seeing alot more pics from you since you should be able to cover more ground on the Wing.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
can you post a pic of your bike with the poorboy conversion

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am also an X VTXr. I loved the bike, but the wing is something else. I love the looks, I love the way it handles, I love the comfort, I am happy and the wife is happy. If Momma is happy, the household is happy!:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am also an X VTXr. I loved the bike, but the wing is something else. I love the looks, I love the way it handles, I love the comfort, I am happy and the wife is happy. If Momma is happy, the household is happy!:)
I agree and AMEN to that!

I've put about 32,000 on the VTX in the last 2 1/2 years, but I'm looking forward to doing some roadtrips on the Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Sounds like you have put a lot of TLC into your ride. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
dj. I was almost coming down to Fredricksburg today but my riding buddy and I chickened out as the rain began to fall. We don't mind getting caught in the rain, we just don't believe in starting out in the rain. Turned out to be a nice day up here anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dj. I was almost comming down to Fredricksburg today but my riding buddy and I chickened out as the rain began to fall. We don't mind getting caught in the rain, we just don't believe in starting out in the rain. Turned out to be a nice day up here anyway.
I rode up to Massenutten last night and rode Skyline Drive from Rt. 33 to the end in Waynesboro and took Rte 6 back to Richmond. I rode through a few 'sprinkles' on Skyline Drive, but it was mostly dry.

Are you doing the Grand Tour of Va this year? I did it for the first time last year (completed all of the stops) and am considering it again this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts