Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new here and on my first wing I guess Im what you guys would call a Harley pirate. See we have the Wing, a Harley that ive had for years and my wifes Suzuki 700 intruder. She and I both have always rode with the leather, we are patched with an organization that we founded, not a outlaw mc or even an mc but the uninformed see a back patch on more than three riders and think what they think. Im your typical bearded long haired david mann drawing looking sort of guy lol.
That said heres been my expierience riding all three bikes as far as how other riders and the public react. On the wifes suzuki which is all black no tank badges most unless they are sorta in the know think its a harley. I get waves, and conversation from the harley guys and the simple cruiser guys. Public avoids me on first blush at gas stations etc unless they want a picture took with me lol. On the harley I get waves from about everybody except the bmw and wing crowd, gas stations etc I get avoided at first unless its another harley rider.
Now the puzzling thing lol. On the Wing, I dont get waves from Harley guys or cruser guys NOR the Wing riders. Gas stations I climb off all leathered up since its cold now long hair etc and nobody talks though I get a lot of puzzled looks from all of the above. If I stay around long enough one or two might come over to look at the bike mostly other wing guys but normally they do it while im inside and sort of wander off when I come out and head for the bike.:confused:
Now when I only rode the Harley I waved at everbody I met cuz myself I dont give a rats behind what you ride as long as you ride .
But there is a definite bias as to what your riding how you look and the reactions you get from other riders and the public in general.
As a side note, our back patch is a childrens charity patch one piece no rockers etc. two seconds to read it and you know what it is but either folks cant read or just dont take the time I dont reckon. Just my own expierience since gettin the Wing vs the other bikes :D

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
ghostrider, There was another thread on the site about "the wave being dead" & in my post to it I commented that here in PA (don't know where you're from) it generally is alive. However I noticed when on my Nighthawk I sometimes am blown off by Wing guys. I do not look the bad biker part. Hair (what's left of it:eek:) is cut with #2 clipper, wear a full faced helmet, textile coat & jeans mostly, but I can cover ground with the best of them.

You bring up interesting points & I for one have been in similar instances. In closing I will say what I said in that thread "wave if you want to but don't dwell on it". Besides do you really care what people think? ;) I don't

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wave at everyone on a bike. No matter what brand. If I'm on my Harley Street Glide, most riders wave at me, some don't. If I'm on my ST1300, I get less waves from Harley riders, but not that big of a difference.

What I have been doing lately, due to lot's of folks not waving back at me when I'm on the ST, is I only wave if the other guy waves first. This is especially true if I'm riding my ST and I approach a Harley rider or a group of Harley riders. To me it's not a big deal what you ride, rather that you are riding something with two wheels.

I firmly believe after talking with lot's of Harley riders, most of them know little or nothing about metric bikes. When a Harley rider tells me how fast so and so's Harley is with lot's of mods, or a Harley V-Rod is, I like to tell them if and when they grow some large balls, I'll bring out the stock ST and run them from an 80 MPH roll. Then we will see who has a fast bike. Keep on riding!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fossil no I dont really care what other people think or I probably wouldnt look like I do. (threres a personal reason actually that I dont get a hair cut etc but thats a whole other story)
It just sort of fasicinated and amused me to an extent that even some casual aquaintances Ive spoken to once or twice before that ride act so differently depending on what Im riding at the time LOL.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Iwave to all. My wife even waves to bicylests. If they don't wave thats ok.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I'm a waver.. Always have and always will. I even talk to long haired biker dudes.. But then again I just love to ride and expect that others that ride share the same passion I do. Ride safe...... and wave...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Waving

Here in California it's about 50/50 on getting a wave from Harley riders, about 15% crotch rocket riders wave and 95% wing riders wave. I wave at all if I see them, if no return wave, that's there problem. See you out there.:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wave to all bikers out there on the highways and byways just like so many others of us do.I figure if they're getting rained on,eating bugs,dodging potholes,watching for flying debris off vehicles,tar patches,left hand turners,etc. etc. and a percentage of the public that just doesn't understand us they deserve a wave. If they don't high five back well thats their problem. I'm friendly to all anyway. Also my hat is off to the long distance
riders on Bicycles too,have you ever peddled a bike up hill in a head wind with a heavy pack in the rain,I have,not fun,just strength,dedication and determination to the choosen passtime.They get a wave from me every time.

Robert

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been ridin' since 1968 and I have always waved to anyone on two wheels. Yes, Harley people around here have their attitudes but I figure they'll grow up one day. I have ridden at least 8 different manufactures & styles & I love the Goldwing more since I am older. Seems like many Goldwing riders are older so I fit right in now.
Ride safe & enjoy life!

·
Registered
24 Posts
wave

Here in Northwest Floirda everybody waves even people in cars and trucks wave at each other. What is difficult is to return a wave to a group of bikes (40 or 50) going to or returning from Daytona.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a VTX, but recently have been riding a wing. On the VTX, most riders I pass will wave. Even harleys--at quick glance, the VTX looks like a harley. V-twin, black, windshield....
On the wing, few wave. Harleys clearly know you are not a harley. Wings seldom wave to anyone, esp two-up wings. Sport bikes don't seem to know you SHOULD wave. I ride out of Florida, but ride all over the country, and this seems universal.
Only ones who wave back to my wing are the long distance riders. Any make bike. The ones on Rt 10, 100 miles from the nearest gas station, in Arizona or Nevada or New Mexico or west Texas or some desert-type place in the middle of nowhere. These riders have a roll on the back of their bike (I have too), and wave. We know we are probably 1000 miles from "home" and the comraderie is there.

The wave is not a high 5 anymore. Used to be, 20 years ago. Now its "low 5". Or "low 1". Kinda a point of the forefinger, arm 45 degrees pointed down. I wave with arm straight out sideways, but with forefinger pointed out. Somehow, its important HOW you wave.....
A lot of newer harleys are not celebrating riding. They are celebrating the ability to afford and purchase an overpriced "toy". The "real" riders celebrate two wheels and the open road, whatever bike they are on.
In my case, I'm old, kids are grown, wife has enough life insurance, and I ride what I want, where I want, when I want. If I wreck, I just hope its over quick.... At 80 or 90 mph, that's likely anyway.

Peace and fair winds.

PS: If I see you, wave. It can't hurt.....

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Letsgamble, I do acknowledge other riders but what I say is wave if you want to but don't get bent out of shape if others don't wave back. Remember this We are all doing something we love to do "Riding on 2 wheels with a motor"

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's always been a big thing for me, ever since I was a young punk on my Norton. People just waived at you. Now, there weren't near the number of riders then, so it was kind of a cult thing or a common bond issue. Sometimes now, ther's so many riders, its gets distracting or tedious to wave at everyone. Something I did learn about Wingers a long time ago though, don't always look for the left hand. Goldwings have had electronic cruise controls for decades, and before that they (and the Beemer crowd mostly as well) had throttle locks, so you might miss a wave from the right hand. It's what all my HD buddies used to say "those Goldwing guys with their cruise controls always wave with the wrong hand" LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd read this post last week and was riding thru traffic yesterday when I could NOT return a wave; my clutch hand was busy.
I almost got so self-conscious I could've either killed the engine or bumped the 4-wheeler in front of me.
I decided that all riders who don't return my wave are prolly shifting gears, and I'll continue to give 'em a wave without judgement in this corner of the camp.. you know what I mean? :). -s

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always wave whenever possible. If I can't I'll try to at least nod or something to acknowledge the other rider. I don't care what the other is riding. I figure we both share this one thing together (motorcycles), and if they're crazy enough or whatever it is to get out there and mix it up with cagers on 2 wheels they got my respect. Regardless of what they ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny thing about the wave. Some people do it to acknowledge others, some do it to get acknowledged.

When I wave I look at the rider, not the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting subject, and I am noticing a change over the years. I started riding in 1964, BSA 500 single those days. Then, all bikers waved, guys driving small sportcars waved, and you did your best to see who in the heck it was if you could make them out through your blurry eyes, cause you didn't wear a helmet or goggles most of the time. Bikes have gotten a heck of lot better since then, and now that I wear a helmet over what hair is left and persciption glasses I can actually see what's going on around me and feel safe doing it....and wavers by my guesstimate are about 70%...with the Harley and Rocket guys being a little less generous on the waves. I also find here on the Canadian praries, when on the hyway, watch for those behind the glass of the bigwheelers and some farm trucks,,,because you will get a wave there as well. For me its just great to be on the bike, I'll wave when my hands are free and nod othertimes, and allways feel good with a response, but if not, maybe they have other things on their mind..or whatever..but I'm enjoying the ride...and if you have hair, even if its long thats just fine with me. Life is good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.