Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Goldwing! It's a good news/bad news scenario.

Good news-It's is in absolutely amazing shape. I think I found 2 scratches on the fairing that are relatively superficial. Would love advice on how to eliminate them.

It is in such good shape that if I didn't know how old it was I wouldn't have been surprised to see it in a showroom. Granted, I'm a newbie but I've included photos to show what I mean. He has 'Avon' tires on them, I'm not familiar with them. He said it's a softer tire and listed the benefits. I expected the front panel between the handlebars to look weathered but it didn't. Nothing looked weathered.

My husband rode it around, I rode it around. Such a smooth ride. I have to admit I was pretty intimidated by it at first. It's been almost 20 years since I drove a Goldwing and this one had a lot more to it than the old one I used. But, I bit the bullet and it was great. I just have to be careful when I slow down. The guy then took it around the block and the thing is so quiet I didn't even hear him coming back. That motor positively purrs. I don't know what a loaded 1500 has but this seemed to have everything. Radio with back speakers, vents down below that blow warm air on your legs, hook up for helmets with headphones, cubbies where I didn't expect them and I'm sure there is more.
All the maintenance is up to date, the time belt was replaced, literally anything that could have been changed had been according to his records.

Bad news-his decision to sell only the motorcycle had morphed since I spoke to him on the phone. When we got there he was pretty adamant that he wanted the trailer to go too. I asked him what kind of mileage he got pulling it loaded and he said he gets 36mpg whether he is pulling or not. Of that, I'm a bit skeptical. What kind of mileage do 1500's normally get? His perception of what he would knock off the price for not taking the trailer and mine were vastly different. The man had a garage full of expensive gadgets, tools and even one of those enclosed machines that you can travel over snow. Apparently, they use it to access their cabin up in the mountain. So, he wanted the trailer gone and out of his shed. It was kind of like buying a nice car and having someone throw in a free kitten. In the long run, I have no doubt that $3K was a very reasonable price for just the motorcycle so we ended up taking the trailer too. I've decided to paint the little bugger taxi yellow so I'm more visible when I use it.

I'm attaching some photos, it got good and dusty on the way home, especially when we had to go through part of the gravel road to our home that our neighbor keeps flooding with his irrigation sprinkler.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
That does look really nice. I've never had a 1500 but the people who do really like them. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
When I had my 98 Goldwing I consistently got 38 to 44 mpg without a trailer.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
One option for the trailer.... should you decide you don't like or don't need/want it.

Put it up for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
great looking wing!

Picture #1: i recently discovered the goldwing emblem on the speaker fader hump (just behind the ignition switch), becomes a very distracting sun reflector when the sun is just right.

but other than that, it looks like you will have a great time with your new (to you) wing.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
27,556 Posts
:WellDone:

As others have already told you the mileage on a 1500 is right around 40 mpg. That is, if you keep your rpm's below 3K. Once you get above that the mileage falls off significantly. I only say this because I know how you Montanans like to go go go. >:)

As a reference 3K should be right around 68-70 mph in overdrive.

By the way enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congratulations on the Goldwing purchase! Nice looking ride! You will enjoy the 1500! My 89 GL1500 when loaded down and running 70 miles an hour gets about 38 MPG. My preference for tires on the 1500 are Dunlop E4s. And as Travis stated, that emblem can and will reflect the sunlight right back into your eyes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Good looking bike. Enjoy. :smile2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations on the Goldwing purchase! Nice looking ride! You will enjoy the 1500! My 89 GL1500 when loaded down and running 70 miles an hour gets about 38 MPG. My preference for tires on the 1500 are Dunlop E4s. And as Travis stated, that emblem can and will reflect the sunlight right back into your eyes.

Can something be done to 'tone down' the brightness on the emblem so that it doesn't blind me?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can something be done to 'tone down' the brightness on the emblem so that it doesn't blind me?
Black sharpee does the trick for me. You can still see the emblem but the sharpee takes the glare off.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
Looks like an awesome find. I forget what the mileage I got on my 1500 pulling a trailer, but it was't bad. Never had an issue with fuel ever.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Congrats on the new 2U wing. My 1500 got 40 mpg without a trailer. As Fossil said the faster you go the lower the mileage. Enjoy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Car Top Luggage Carrier -

Hey Pam - Congratulations on your GW purchase. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment. One suggestion concerning the trailer set up - you might consider simply removing the original metal box from the frame and mount one of the much lighter aerodynamic car top luggage carriers. This reuses a frame, axle, wheels and lights that have already been road tested. The interior room of the luggage carrier is plenty large enough to handle virtually anything you might like to take and they are water tight. Also by carrying any bulky/heavy items in the trailer and out of the saddle bags and trunk - you keep your center of gravity as low as possible during low speed maneuvers.

My wife and I were riding along the Grand Canyon South Rim when at one of the rest stops another GW pulled in with a car top style trailer. I'd noticed several air scoops and vents along the edge of the lid and when they opened it up out popped two small dogs. Both little yappers :) excitedly made a couple of loops around the bikes and then ran over to mark the tire of a near by motorhome. This couple packed a large tent and all of their other camping gear in the trailer, leaving the saddle bags and trunk for cool weather clothing. Once everyone visited for a few minutes and had a drink of water, we all loaded up and were off.

Again Congratulations and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Pam - Congratulations on your GW purchase. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment. One suggestion concerning the trailer set up - you might consider simply removing the original metal box from the frame and mount one of the much lighter aerodynamic car top luggage carriers. This reuses a frame, axle, wheels and lights that have already been road tested. The interior room of the luggage carrier is plenty large enough to handle virtually anything you might like to take and they are water tight. Also by carrying any bulky/heavy items in the trailer and out of the saddle bags and trunk - you keep your center of gravity as low as possible during low speed maneuvers.

My wife and I were riding along the Grand Canyon South Rim when at one of the rest stops another GW pulled in with a car top style trailer. I'd noticed several air scoops and vents along the edge of the lid and when they opened it up out popped two small dogs. Both little yappers :) excitedly made a couple of loops around the bikes and then ran over to mark the tire of a near by motorhome. This couple packed a large tent and all of their other camping gear in the trailer, leaving the saddle bags and trunk for cool weather clothing. Once everyone visited for a few minutes and had a drink of water, we all loaded up and were off.

Again Congratulations and Ride Safe - Michael

Well, that's a brilliant idea and my husband would love to have the box that's on the trailer now in his truck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts