Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in my intro post, I have 2 1982 Goldwing GL1100's.

1. 1982 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate(currently a resto project)

I got this one from a close friend who upgraded to a HD Road King. He bought it brand new in 1982, and sold it to me for a mere $3,000 with about $1K in spare parts. Needed a little paint work, but runs like a top. Currently in my garage awaiting the TLC. Oh, and he did this right after he bought it.

2. 1982 Honda GL1100 Standard upgraded with Hondaline fairing, Interstate front shocks, and Hondaline removable bags/trunk.

This was my late father's bike. He picked it up in 1999 for $200 because the original owner thought he'd blown the engine. Turned out to be a bad CDI unit. He got it with ~38K on the clock. He moved here with me in May of 2011 from Alabama, and passed on July 27, 2011 from a battle with leukemia. He was 78, and had over 5 million miles in 60 years under his buns. He lived to ride, and we made one last ride the day before he went in the hospital. He passed 3 days later.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Wow Lone Eagle, what a solid way to start a thread!

Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. Glad that you had a chance for a final ride together. For me and my Dad it was a last fishing trip to Lake Okachobee in Florida.

And you have two good looking Classic Wings! And both with sentimental attachments. I reckon we'll be seeing those bad girls on the road for many years!:)

Are you planning to attend the Kalispell, MT Meet & Greet? Noticed the plate on the bike says "Montana." I'm still debating. It's +/-800 miles to the eastern edge of Montana for me, and then another 400 to Kalispell. Actually it'll ring up about 1,600 mis. on the front leg, as I might as well go north from Sturgis to Dickenson/Williston, ND and then over to Kalispell. Really want to go, but money is tight right now.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,607 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
They're both beautiful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, Tatanka, I won't be making it this year. Finally got the nerve to crawl on the red one, and still feel it's dad's machine. I haven't ridden since I sold my '86 Nighthawk back in 1994, and having to relearn the ropes. It's slowly coming back to me, though. I puttered around the neighborhood on the black one last year after the long ride before shutting it down for the restoration.

Wife's already told me we're going to Sturgis next year. We're putting a Voyager kit on the black one for her to ride. She tried o-natural, but her Air Force injury has affected her balance. She tried a Harley with one installed, and could handle it that way.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Well, then we'll see you next year, Lone Wolf.

I cannot imagine anything your Father would enjoy more than your riding and keeping up his Wing as your own, as passionate as he was about riding and obviously about keeping his Wing in excellent shape. When I'm gone, my son will get Tatanka and my boat. In the meantime, I'm fixing up "Bobo" ('83 1100) for him to ride to get used to a Wing, he just doesn't know it yet!:)

They do take some getting used to. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been riding Tatanka for about three months, tweeking it alot in alot of ways. I STILL haven't given my bride a ride on him yet!:eek: I'll know when WE're ready. I also haven't dragged pegs yet, and really have no interest in doing so. Hell, I'm almost 58, not 18. As Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations!":eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow what great bikes, Welcome to the forum, your dads bike looks cleaner than my 2012. I am sorry to hear of his passing. I know I will be crushed when my dads time comes. it is great that you got in a ride with him before he went.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Lone I just responded to your intro saying we like pictures & here they are. Sorry for your loss. Those are some sweet rides. You folks take your time & enjoy them.

'86 Nighthawk huh???? 700S???;)

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Welcome and very nice bikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
two nice looking wings, sorry for your loss

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine and my dads are twins too. Both 87 aspys wineberry in color.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts