Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sacramento! (Rancho Cordova to be exact)
After much consideration, I have decided to purchase a Goldwing! I'll admit, it'll be difficult to part with my 07' VN 2000. I've enjoyed many rides since we've been together. The most recent trip took me from Sacramento to San Diego and back by way of Lake Tahoe and Hwy 395. Man that was fun!! So, here I am. A new member to Goldwing Owners!!

Before I purchase my Goldwing, I'd like to learn as much as I can from other Goldwing owners. If I'm lucky, I may even find my Goldwing in the process. I've only got about two months to conduct my research. In late July, my 15-year old son and I are taking a trip from Sacramento to Florida to witness one of a few last Space Shuttle launches. It's something I've wanted to do since the early 80's.

So that is what's goin on with routerron. I look forward to reading your post and learning of your Goldwing experiences.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
routerron,

Greetings ron you will love the Wing for that trip you have planned. This is the place for lot's of good info from a great bunch. Search the site for threads, have fun, & ask questions. None of us are bashful & you will get varied opinions. Good luck from the Keystone State.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ron, are you looking to get a new or " pre owned " wing -)

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and good luck on your quest for the perfect Goldwing. I have family in Grass Valley, CA. Great riding country. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to the club. You didn't say which model of wing you want to get so I assume it's an 1800. All the 1800's are basically the same bike, from 2001 to 2006 the first generation had vents to cool your knees and hands and no GPS, after 2006 they got rid of the knee cooler and fitted feet warmers and started to add ABS, airbags and GPS. The GPS looks very nice as it's integrated into the bike, but most people find it not very friendly to use and updates are expensive and there is some question about how long Honda will support the maps for it.. I like the idea of ABS on a bike of this size but have no idea if it really works, likewise for the airbag!! I would suggest going for a 2006 or later wing. Regardless of which model you get I would seriously look at getting the suspension sorted by Traxxion!! It makes a world of difference to the handling, especially if the bike is well laden (passenger and gear).

All the best

Gary

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yup, ask all the questions ya want, and we'll all offer something in return. Likewise I'm sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Due to budget restrictions, I'm looking to purchase pre-owned. I've come to the conclusion that Navigation and ABS are not mandatory. Based on the ads I've seen, I can get an 02' - 07' with low mileage (less than 30,xxx) for under $15,000. I've seen some screaming deals out there, unfortunately a number of them are out-of-state.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Ron, he right deal is out there waiting, be patient & you'll find it. In the meantime check out these sites for info. I'm sure they will help you, the 1st has tips for buying used & History to see how the Wing progressed & the changes made year to year.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

This site has the service bulletins & recalls on it so you can make sure a particular bike that you may be looking at has had that notice taken care of.

http://goldwingdocs.com/index.asp

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can definately find 02-07 models in your price range. There is nothing wrong with any of them, get a good one and you will be very pleased with it.. I have an 03 and love riding it..

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts