Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that once you start adding a little, you need a lot.

I bought an "Add-On" made chrome plate for my radio since the original lettering was mostly worn off, making the radio area look old. I looked for a stencil to remake the original lettering, but the only stencil I could find was for a later model than my '89 and it didn't match up. The chrome plate looks awesome, but makes the rest of the dash area look rundown. I swore to myself I wouldn't get into a customization mood with this bike. I mean a Goldwing is supposed to have everything you need outta the box, but now I'm gonna have to look at some other options, darn it :)

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I'm going a different route over a period of time because of the expense, I want to have the entire dash redone by Wing Bling in a black with holographic glitter (glitter changes color in the sun light) and powder coat some of the chrome parts in gloss black. I may start at the back and work my way forward, I've got new chrome trim for the trunk and a used Corbin seat with teal trim.

Have fun customizing it and for inspiration on lights just view one of the Wing Ding light parade videos. Makes you want to get a bigger alternator.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Have the same problem when Mz. Vickie buys a new lamp shade because I know I'll be painting the walls.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I heard some place there is a support group for Chrominitis. It's to late for me and my rolling Chrome Catalog. You'll know you got it bad when you buy the chrome dip stick and oil filler cap, it way to late then.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I found the cure with my '84, plated everything 24kt gold. Ah, don't ever let anyone tell you that gold appreciates in value over time LMAO. Paid 6 grand for the bike brand new, put all them additions on it (chrome initially) and then Drag started out with the gold carb tops and shark fins, then the w/s garnish, and the light bar, and the ingnition cover ...by the time I was done I took all the chrome off and sent it a way to get plated gold ($5200 worth after the price of the chrome bits:eek:). Only things that wasn't plated were the pipes and the crash bars. Sold the bike 8 years later for $4k:( Pretty shrewd of me I must say haha. made for some very expensive trophies, em, that I eventually threw away.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going a different route over a period of time because of the expense, I want to have the entire dash redone by Wing Bling in a black with holographic glitter (glitter changes color in the sun light) and powder coat some of the chrome parts in gloss black. I may start at the back and work my way forward, I've got new chrome trim for the trunk and a used Corbin seat with teal trim.

Have fun customizing it and for inspiration on lights just view one of the Wing Ding light parade videos. Makes you want to get a bigger alternator.
feature=related[/url]
Yer not kiddin'! Very cool vids.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard some place there is a support group for Chrominitis. It's to late for me and my rolling Chrome Catalog. You'll know you got it bad when you buy the chrome dip stick and oil filler cap, it way to late then.
Ron
Exactly! And what's with chrome oil filters for the Wing? I guess folks would have to lay on the ground to see it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have the same problem when Mz. Vickie buys a new lamp shade because I know I'll be painting the walls.
That's one big reason I try not do anything that would lead to painting a room. Paint one and you paint 'em all!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I found the cure with my '84, plated everything 24kt gold. Ah, don't ever let anyone tell you that gold appreciates in value over time LMAO. Paid 6 grand for the bike brand new, put all them additions on it (chrome initially) and then Drag started out with the gold carb tops and shark fins, then the w/s garnish, and the light bar, and the ingnition cover ...by the time I was done I took all the chrome off and sent it a way to get plated gold ($5200 worth after the price of the chrome bits:eek:). Only things that wasn't plated were the pipes and the crash bars. Sold the bike 8 years later for $4k:( Pretty shrewd of me I must say haha. made for some very expensive trophies, em, that I eventually threw away.
budoka: I use the same tactic on the Stock Market: Buy High Sell low and make it up in valume:D

Ron

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love the shiny as much as anyone. Around the dash area it has this minor drawback: reflects sunlight.
That was probably the only thing that truly bothered me about my VTX. I installed a very large Clearview shield on it, and the chromed plate around the tank panel gleaned very sharp in it.
Became so bothersome on a long ride that I stopped to get velcro and cloth to cover up all but the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
That was probably the only thing that truly bothered me about my VTX. I installed a very large Clearview shield on it, and the chromed plate around the tank panel gleaned very sharp in it.
Became so bothersome on a long ride that I stopped to get velcro and cloth to cover up all but the speedometer.
Hahaha. Did a similar thing on my 1300. I painted the ring around the gas cap dull black because that was where the sun seemed to reflect the most from directly in my eyes at a certain time of day and a certain direction of travel. We are having troubles with glare on the Navi screen on the 1800. Some riders are using shim washers to tilt the screen forward a bit to cut down on the glare spot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We are having troubles with glare on the Navi screen on the 1800. Some riders are using shim washers to tilt the screen forward a bit to cut down on the glare spot.
Knock on wood but I haven't noticed a problem from the navi screen glare yet. Perhaps once the new wears off I might notice it, but for now you could poke me in the back with a sharp stick while I was riding and I wouldn't be able to feel it over the joy of riding the 1800.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts