Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question to some but Iwill ask anyway. What is the difference in a w/t & c/t? Is it in the side wall,compound,or what? There must be some thing,because a car tire has a lot of pluses to me. There has to be some neg.I am tempted to try the c/t. We do 90% touring and I think the c/t makes sense for that but I been told that cornering will be an issue. True or just different?I love the idea of having some tread on a tire instead of a near slick in our area. THANKS

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you have any doubts about cornering issues with a CT, check out my YouTube Goldwing videos on channel ba3kaol The way my CT is wearing, they will easily double the mileage of my MT. I change rear MT at 3-4k miles. I have 3k on my CT's now and they still look new!

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
There have been a number of discussions about C/T vs M/T. If you do a search on the forum you will find a number of threads. Maybe reading through those will give you a better idea of the issues and what some of your fellow riders feel towards each one. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
You and your passenger will love the ride. Imagine hearing only the purr of the engine and whatever breeze may be passing by you. That's all you'll hear. No bull. May I recommend a KUMHO Run-flat 195/55/R16 ? Ride it just like you would a M/T : and you will once you forget you're riding a C/T. I have no dog in this debate only to say that my C/T has changed my riding experience. You won't fall over in a turn unless you lean farther than the crash bars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the look of that KUMHO tire. If I try the c/t that would l likely be the one. I read where people have issues with getting someone to install the c/t .Is it a liabillaty issue, ?

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I do like the look of that KUMHO tire. If I try the c/t that would l likely be the one. I read where people have issues with getting someone to install the c/t .Is it a liabillaty issue, ?
It's a personal thing with mounters. My Honda dealer will mount my C/t if I pay them to , although I may get some jokes about it, but they will mount it. This is my first C/T and I removed the wheel and brought it and the C/T to a tire shop and had it mounted for $11. For some there seems to something secretive about the C/T so many riders tell you stories about how they took their M/C tire and wheel to a tire shop and told them it was for their trailer or trike. Probably true, but Baloney. It's not committing a crime. It's the kind of tire that belongs on a Goldwing for what the Wing was designed to do. There are other favorite tires out there and I think the Alpine PA3 is quite popular.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I know there's guys around here that run darkside, just have no idea where they get there skins mounted. Can you hear that? It's my resolve crumbling:rolleyes: But don't get too carried away, I've got another 20k to burn off before that is even remotely possible;) How long I wonder before the Khumo tree bears fruit? 3 years maybe?:eek: Dookoo, chop, either of you have the TPMS? Do you use beads or centramatics or weights?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
OH Boy a CT vs MT thread..........

Someone pass the popcorn........LOL....

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
I am not against a CT and think that if those that run CT's are right then it will not take long and we will see a cross over tire's like a CT but made for a bike. But for now I know what my next tire is going to be and it is a MT that is waiting in the shed. Eric

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I have centramatics sitting in the garage for when I do the wheel swap.

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
I have 17,000 miles on my ct. Another 16,000 to go, if my calculations are correct based on the tread depth to the wear bar.

Not only that, it quieted down my bike.... I feel like I am on an electric rail. No sound whatsoever.

I don't worry about sand on the road or water anymore. I am cautious when I am in that but I don't freak out about it.

My tire was $86 shipped to my door. My thinking was if I didn't like the tire, I would just remove it and then I would be able to say "I tried it." Well, I tried it, am trying it and I won't go back to a mt on my Wing. I even bought a ct for my Silverwing Maxi Scooter.

No regrets.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No TPMS. Use Dyna-beads. Centramatics would be ideal, they are on the Wingstuff wish list.
I use a Doran TPMS. I chose it because it has a remote, and very bright LED warning light. I recommend is highly.

As far as wheel balancing, I am not a believer in Dyna-beads or Centramatics. If this was a superior way of balancing, i would see them being used for performance applications. Get a high speed dynamic balance at a place like Cycle Gear or any good automotive/motorcycle tire shop. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
I use a Doran TPMS. I chose it because it has a remote, and very bright LED warning light. I recommend is highly.

As far as wheel balancing, I am not a believer in Dyna-beads or Centramatics. If this was a superior way of balancing, i would see them being used for performance applications. Get a high speed dynamic balance at a place like Cycle Gear or any good automotive/motorcycle tire shop. Just my opinion.
I think the same way. When you are at a shop to have your tire mounted, why not have it balanced too? If you mount your own tire on the rim, then I can see doing the Dyna-beads, but you could just take it in for balancing.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I run a MT right now but when it needs changed I'll be putting on a CT to try.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts

I was surprised to discover that my Honda Dealer just hand spins the tire and balance them according to way the dice fall. I presumed it was a bit more sophisticated than that. I chose the Dyna-beads over that method just as a gut feeling. I'm not up on " performance applications " so I have to rely on the opinions of the masses. I will inquire at my local tire shop it they have the equipment to balance a moto wheel.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was surprised to discover that my Honda Dealer just hand spins the tire and balance them according to way the dice fall. I presumed it was a bit more sophisticated than that. I chose the Dyna-beads over that method just as a gut feeling. I'm not up on " performance applications " so I have to rely on the opinions of the masses. I will inquire at my local tire shop it they have the equipment to balance a moto wheel.
That's the problem with most mc tire guys, they only
Static balance the tire. We've been doing this since the 20's. Find a shop with a real dynamic balancer and get it done right. I think Cycle Gears machines balance all the way to 100 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 with the TPMS and have been using Dynabeads for about 7000 miles and prior to that on my VTX for 24,000 with no problem.
Took the factory weights off and put 2oz in the front Stone and 3oz with the Michelin Alpin PA3. They are smooth as buttah!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I have a 2012 with the TPMS and have been using Dynabeads for about 7000 miles and prior to that on my VTX for 24,000 with no problem.
Took the factory weights off and put 2oz in the front Stone and 3oz with the Michelin Alpin PA3. They are smooth as buttah!!!!
Oooooh. You are running the PA3 ? My next tire choice outside the 205 Kumho's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts