Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tinkering with my "new" (to me) '89 GL1500 in preparation for a fairly short ride this weekend to Athens (GA) for the GWRRA "Wind Down" this Saturday.
Just getting to know the machine and wanted to check some stuff, like air filter (discovered I've got a K&N) and to look things over.
Ended up digging a little deeper in some topics (this board and others) and decided to dig under the tupperware to find the subfilter and to check it out as well.
Called my local dealer for the subfilter part. It's not in stock, but the guy suggested cutting my own out of some foam filter material. Ended up picking up a lawn mower filter and slicing off the correct size, soaking it with oil and putting her in. The original filter (probably WAS original) turned to powder when I tried to take it out of the housing.
Also discovered that my RH vacuum tube had a pin-hole, clipped about 1/2 inch off the end and hooked her back up.
What a wonderful piece of engineering to mess around with! Between the great resources here and elsewhere online and the Clymer manual that came with the bike, it builds a fella's confidence to dig a little deeper and to make this bike all it can be! Lookin forward to the Saturday ride.
By the way, I ended up with ONE extra screw; hope nothing falls off on the way to Athens :). Y'all ride safe out there. -s

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's always great to know about your ride, never know when you will be out somewhere and have to take it apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts