Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears that this topic is no longer (or has never been) active, but here goes, anyway:

Year: 1978 frame with 1975 engine

Model: GL1000

Eng size: 1000

Pipes: Emgo slash-cut shorties

Seat: fiberglass GL1000 reproduction with cafe shaped foam and custom vinyl upholstry

Wheels: stock '78 painted Duplicolor black and clearcoat wheel paint

Accessories: none, really

And the story: Bought in 2013 as a "retirement project" to be restored until noticing the '75 engine transplant. Spent the next five years (off-and-on, didn't retire until '17) cleaning, taking frame to bare metal and painting, fixing water (submersion) damage to engine, fixing many "PO" induced problems (really, internal snap rings on the drive shaft splines? At least they were consistent and did it both front and rear.) Since restoration was out of the question with the mis-match, decided to have fun with it. On the road middle of last summer and decided to have fun with it by taking it to area shows this year. Have met a lot of great people that way. Plan to ride it a lot next year.

All work done by me except grinding the valve seats in the heads and stitching the seat upholstery.

BTW, the young lady on it left last week for a nine-month tour in Afganistan.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Nice looking bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Nice looking bike and tell the young lady a big thank you for her service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,123 Posts
Very good looking bike. Please add my thanks for her service also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pickup belongs to a minister. I've seen him at four shows so far this year. I will convey the best wishes to the young lady through the organizer of their pinup contest (at the Stearns, Ky Moonshiner's Run).
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,311 Posts
Sorry to be tardy in posting on this, but that is one very nice job on the bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry to be tardy in posting on this, but that is one very nice job on the bike!
Thanks! I've been showing her all summer, riding her some too. Taking her to a show tomorrow in Stearns, KY. It has been fun talking with people about the build, and encouraging them to rescue a bike themselves.

An update with a couple photos from the show. The young blond left two weeks after the show for 9 months in Afganastan.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After the Hunkey, I built a CB750F rat bike and last summer (while enjoying showing the Hunley each weekend at nearby shows) I built a '79 GL1000 for hot weather riding without the fairing and such that my '06 has. In December I bought a fence row '78 GL1000 that had been seriously abused and I'm in process of getting it back on the road as part of our club's "20 bikes back on the road in 2020" challenge. I'm going through the wiring harness now, and discovered a mother Honda gotcha:

For those interested in GL1000s, particularly '78 and '79 US & CA models. Honda ran one phase from the alternator to the right handgrip controls plug, through a jumper and back. That's about 2 meters and 2 connectors that are not necessary. On my present project, I've bypassed this by making a replacement for that phase lead and replacing the pin with a new one in the 8 pin connector. I'll do this to my '79 and the Hunley whenever wiring needs worked on. Note that this is not on '75 -'77 models. On Euro models this extra wiring is actually used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This winter's project was for our club's 2020 challenge to put 20 bikes back on the road. Since I didn't have a candidate on hand, ended up in early December dragging a 78 GL1000 from a fence row in Kentucky. Yesterday, I finally had it back together to a point that I could roll it out of the garage and try to fire it. After the manditory grinding to get the float bowls refilled, she fired, warmed up, and idled down to sound pretty good. There was a long list of items attended to, frame-off, carbs, one head gasket, the normal replacements for a bike that hadn't fired for at least 9 years. Remaining is cover paint, front tire, lube the tach needle.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There has been shared riding time betwen the '78, '79, and '06. The '78 (Johnny 5) was not wanting to take throttle nicely. I finally pulled the rack again. #3 plug has always indicated very lean. I discovered a 130 air jet instead of a 120 and corrected that. Polished all vacuum pistons and domes (again). Since these are '77 carbs I added a #4 washer under each needle. I had used 120 slow air jets (correct for the engine year). Replaced them with 110 (correct for the '77 carbs). Also discovered a crack and peripheral leak on one of the buttons . Sealed it with super glue. Did not have time to balance today. Just set all pilot screws to 3 1/2 turns out and rode. What a difference! If I get time after mowing tomorrow I will balance them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled the shelter pod and removed the voltmeter. Replaced it with a digital. I put one on the '79 and really like it. Also I've made new rear seat mounts that allowed me to lower the back of the seat ~3/4". Looks much better.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top