Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just moved to Bandera TX in the hill country. I thought there wasn't as great of an area to ride than the Piney woods of east TX. The hill country is as good but larger. Better riding due to the low humidity. Hooked up with the GWRRA chapter last night. A bunch of them showeds up at the RV park to welcome us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As far as I am concerned there is no better place to ride. I plan to go there this Sun. and ride from Medina to Camp Wood. I always have to go to Lunkenbach. Also if have not done it Big Bend is a great ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think they are bad this time of year, but I'm about to find out. If they are out they could be Texas size. By the way we just returned from your state[RV] and it is a great place to spend the summer. Enjoyed Seven Feathers Rv Resort on Int 5.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
lone/Taco,

I just did some research & realized that Wife & I will be going right between you guys next year on our cross country trip.

Short version is we'll be in San Antonio & than go to El Paso. Trip is in June/July. Is there any special precautions or issues we should be concerned with- ie weather,road conditions,varmints,law enforcement, etc?
Keep in mind we're from Pa. so I don't the terrain, case in point "hill country". What elevation are you guys talking about?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not to worry about the elavation just rolling hills and very scenic. Weather--Hot--July and Aug--DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT--DEER-DEER-AND DEER--Wild hogs--And all kind of varments. When it gets closer I need to tell you about great rides west of San Antonio. Cops there are plenty but speed limit is from 65 to 80mph on Int 10 and that should be fast enough. You will still need to watch for deer anytime of the day.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Thanks Taco, As trip gets closer I'll be in touch with all. Ronzilla I do plan on riding 1A up from San Fran into Oregon & then on to Seattle as well. So info from you will be helpful as well.

I like the following website & do check out roads to ride in all areas. The one downside to our trip is both Wife & I still work so we can only manage a little over a month off. Lot's to cram in so unfortunately we have to use a lot of Interstates to cover ground.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

Thanks for the tips & I'll be in touch as time draws near.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hill Country

I first discovered the Hill Country of Texas in 2000 on my first cross-country. A friend and I left San Antonio and headed west to Hondo then north to Bandera and then on to Kerrville where we to I-10 for the rest of the trip to California. The Hill Country between Bandera and Kerrville was very impressive. I enjoyed that part of the trip the best.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Good Ride

I loved the hill country, I need to see it in springtime, OMG!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
me 2 Bill. Need to get the wing finished. Will do that this week.
Ron
Bugs are good eating here. Mainly butterfies. When we were in Conroe the air was full of love bugs. Kansas it was grass hoppers (Taste bad and hurt) Canada it was skeeters the size of sparrows.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I will be checking the forums often. I am just north of Houston and the Hill country is a 3 hour ride for me. We plan on making several trips out there this year.
Please post dates when any of you head that way, would be great to meet some new people.
And if you don't mind a pit stop, I know where the most beautiful swimming hole in Texas is. Google "Hamilton Pool", it is about 15-20 miles west of Austin and an hour north of San Antonio. Also some very scenic rides thru that area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome!!

Welcome to Central Texas... The Bandera area is a great area to ride... I live North of you at Lake Whitney which is 35 miles North of Waco...

We just moved to Bandera TX in the hill country. I thought there wasn't as great of an area to ride than the Piney woods of east TX. The hill country is as good but larger. Better riding due to the low humidity. Hooked up with the GWRRA chapter last night. A bunch of them showeds up at the RV park to welcome us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hill country is great riding,we try to go at least once a year.we never go without stopping in bandera for some apple ice cream.its worth the trip by itself,,,lol,,,ride safe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts