Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well did my first Iron Butt certified ride today 1146.2 miles in 15hrs 32 min moving time, and total time from starting point to return,19 hrs 31 min.

I am 56 rode a 1995 1500SE ,my partner was 67 and rode a 2005 1800. This is the story.

We left the Oklahoma panhandle about 0500 Friday morning for a nice quite ride to Sparks,OK. 54 degrees and no wind,was a nice ride until just east of Oklahoma City, my Bushtec trailer started doing the side to side bit. Stopped and checked the trailer pressure and all seemed good, checked wheel bearing play was none. A few miles down the road started doing it again at about 71MPH. We are on a busy I-40 and I pull over to the shoulder wondering what could be wrong, my buddy pulls in behind me and I put the kickstand down but did not check it(just barley down) and stepped of the bike and down she went on the. Left side. Remember in my earlier post I said things happen in 3's. Yep third time.

So we pick the bike up no damage other than all the traffic that was probably laughing. Checked the trailer nothing wrong, and continue on to Sparks campground for the Iron butt ride.

We get to the campground, and get out my buddy's 4 man tent, and it turns out to be a 1 man tent. So off to Walmart I go to buy a tent. Find one and load it in my buddy's trailer, and he says let eat, and he says Sonic drive in. I am in the lead and pull in and park , I see him pull in beside me and as I am taking my helmet off, I hear OH OH crash. I look over and see his yellow wing with trailer laying on left side, his windshield just missed the order screen by about an inch. I help him pick up the bike, and I am laughing and asked him why did he do that so he could sit on the side of the bike to eat? He was blushing and said he didn't what he was thinking but just never even attempted to put the kickstand down and stepped off . I could not believe it both bikes down in less than two hours. No damage other than his pride. Then I go to open my tuck on the bike and. I hear click, something broke. After a couple hours had the bottom plate of the trunk and count the center latch had slipped out of the notch to open the lid. Semi fixed it with what I had,and said it won't do that again.

The rest of the day went without incident. now for the ride.

Up Saturday morning at 0400 start the ride at 0520am. Plan was go south hit I-40 west and go to Moriarty,NM. Googled mapped at 567 miles. Rather be long than short.

Ist fuel stop Oklahoma city, go to get my fuel book out of the trunk and click, latch slipped out again. I am not happy had all my good stuff I was planning on using on the ride in there. Will not open.

The speed limit inTexas and NM on the interstate is 75MPH. But lots of traffic. My cruise on the 1500 would only lock in and hold a cruise of 77MPH tops,we got passed a a bunch. Nothing real interesting on the ride out other than when we hit NM the wind starting whipping around pretty good. Was stopping for fuel stops about every 130 miles. His 1800 out done my 1500 by a gallon of fuel ever stop.

Met a couple from England that had flow over rented a Harley in Chicago and was going to CA. Great people to visit with. At another stopp in NM we met a guy and asked what we were doing and told him the Iron Butt ride , and he shook his head and said your bikes were not there this morning when we started. He was on a two day 2000 mile ride out of Texas. We all had a big laugh at that one.

Arrived at out turn around point, and first thing I did was find a phillips screwdriver to take the bottom panel off the trunk again. Guess where my screwdriver was? Yep trunk. 20 minutes later had the Latch fixed again zipped tied it, idiot proffed it, and gave my Phillips to my buddy to carry in his bike. Thanked the nice lady for letting me borrow the screwdriver, went to the station and gassed up the bikes and hit the road back for the return trip at 1420hrs.

Coming back wind got worse , traffic was worse, and then outside of Oklahoma City, we hit the cold front from the north. We mad it back to the starting point at 1231 Sunday morning. Thank god for a sfe ride, and we didn't safely......

Now for some questions?
I know why it's called and Iron Butt, that's what my behind fills like.
About ever 30 minutes I was either standing on the pegs or readjusting the gelpad sheepskin cover on the seat. I think my seat needs new foam, Help ,who can do that?

Before the ride. I had new Dunlop Elite threes put on with 38psi in front would raise to 41PSI at highway speed, and 41PSI on the rear that would raise to 49PSI at highway speed. With dyna beads. Rode smooth as glass. Changed air filter,fuel filter, spark plugs, oil and filter flushed brake and clutch. Not much more. I could do. To have the bike ready for the trip. Sirus radio, GPS and tire monitoring system ready to go.

I used 45.23 gal of gas for the total trip.. Best mileage 33 and worst 24. Should the 1500 do better, do I need to check the synch on the carbs? I am running a 4 inch extra tall and 2 inch wide windshield, could that be killing my mileage?

All in all it was a great trip and I was glad to see my 67 year old friend do it, as he told me has always wanted to do one in his 40 years of riding. And he did very well indeed....

Now the sad part. I feel like I have been violated, my crotch area feels like I have been riding a horse bareback for weeks. To say I am sore is a understatement. Man I am sore. I want to do something to seat, I have looked at all the custom seats online, but think all I need is new, and very good memory foam put in it.

Thanks for reading, and now another 225 mile ride home and will send off my paperwork for my certificate.
Hallct

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Nice report Hallct! Congratulations on completing a certified Iron Butt! Sorry to hear you now have an iron butt and crushed jewels!:eek::D

Most of the 1500 owners around here report better mileage than you're getting, so probably good to synch your carbs.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Congrats Hall...Welcome to the IBA. You gotta get those numbers posted. It's proven....if you dont post your IDMWT #.....you haven't learned anything.
I'm still waiting for confirmation on my July IBAs. They will qualify me for the Mile Eater.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Congrats on the accomplishment. Good report complete with side trips to WalMart & all.:rolleyes: As far as the uncomfortable situation. Take a look at LD comfort products. They Work!:D

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Registered
363 Posts
I feel your pain regarding the seats! I have a 2005 Wing and I love everything about it, EXCEPT the seats. Talk about uncomfortable! There's no way I could do a long distance ride on her at present.

With that said, on my previous Valkyrie, I had a full set of Ultimate seats and they were very comfortable. This time around I'm looking at some custom made seats as this present GoldWing will more than likely be my last one. I'm currently looking at Hartco Seats. (see link below). Give them a call and talk to Mark. This fella really knows his stuff regarding motorcycle seats and how to custom fit them to your body! ;)

http://www.hartcoseats.com/

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
congrats hallct. your poor fuel milage can be traced to the high winds you had with

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
That big screen is going to affect mileage some, but not sure how much really...2-3 mpg? Carbs could maybe use a good cleaning and re-set? Anyway, congrats on your accomplishment.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
As far as gas mileage goes, the big windshield will cost you a little, running 75 mph is going to cost you, pulling a trailer is going to cost you, and running into a head wind will cost you.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ron,
I sent you a pm.

I can actually walk normal again today, and found a guy that does seats and going to have him rebuild my seat with new foam.

Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the cruise control on a 1500?

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I think there is a procedure on how to test and adjust it in the manual.
If you do not have one you can download one here.

http://www.goldwingdocs.com

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found out today is just a matter of switching two wires to increase the set speed.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Welcome to the club. Like Ib says they call you again an again :D

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Congratulations on your first IBA. I hope to do one next year. The shorts Fossil recommends do help a lot. I also have a seat pad that I use from time to time to vary the position of my behind. Although the day Phil and I rode 700 miles on our way back from Pennsylvania I didn’t use it at all.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I left Sunday morning at 0400 to meeta guy in Siloam springs,AR and buy his Corbin seat. Got there at 1230 put seat on and then rode back home. Seat did not look like it was going to be comfy, but I was surprised it felt very good and never got sore behind on the 400 mile trip home.

I can now understand why people get a custom seat, it sets me about 1 inch lower and a little closer to the handelbars, which was very different feel. I got it so the wife was not spread eagled out as a passenger around my other backrest. Good move on my part. I started riding on the 4th of September when I got home, and as of this morning I have put 5024 miles on the bike since the 4th. I do love riding the WING. It's all I can do not to go look at a new 12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts