Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I mentioned that unexpected meeting with Bevman. In that I also wondered if I had unknowlingly been on a ride with DanB.

Tonight I was on my computer planning a solo day ride down to Wellborn for lunch. I decided to check my email and there's a note from DanB.

Tonight, he's in Mineral Wells on his way to a wedding in Big Spring. So, dealy the Wellborn ride. I'm meeting Dan in the morning to ride out to somewhere near Abilene and I'll be home tomorrow night.

Details tomorrow.

R

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
DanB is making his rounds. Enjoy your ride.....

·
Administrator
29,005 Posts
bent,

Sounds like you have found a go to guy. I have a couple of them from the forum. Although I must admit one of them is R.W. & kicks me to the curb occasionally.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
its good that you guys are close enough to plan a ride

·
Premium Member
24,641 Posts
I think it's the molecular structure exerting its pull on the neutrons.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
That Dan B sure gets around.. Have a great time..

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this morning I get to Dan's motel about five minutes early and he's outside the front door standing by a very nice 1500, motor running and warmed up. This guy's as eager to ride as I am. A few minutes of introduction and minor ride planning.

Dan's plan was to take US180 west to Albany and south from there. But he had some extra time to spend before getting to Big Sping, so I throw in about an hour's worth of detours to his plan.

Detour 1.We leave Mineral Wells south on US281. A nice wide 2-lane that winds downhill and across an old steel arch bridge over the Brazos to IH20. Just before IH20, we turned west on TX2201 to Santo. From Santo, north on TX4 to Palo Pinto. This little stretch of road is only about 15 miles long but is consistently voted one of the Top Ten roads by the readers of Ride Texas magazine. Its a red-headed step sister of the Twisted Sisters.Dan had never been on it, so it was a must. From Palo Pinto, back on US180 to Albany.

Detour 2. About 15 miles later, we turn north on TX16 for Possum Kingdom Lake. We cross the Brazos again just below the PK dam. Literaly below the elevation of the dam. A couple miles past this is a state fish hatchery. DO NOT ride pass here on a hot August day unless you can hold your breath five minutes. Even then the smell will be on your clothing for the rest of the day. The road takes a sharp right and starts an uphill climb. Halfway up the climb, the road makes a blind sharp left against the hillside. Stop here. There is a small overlook with enough parking for two cars or maybe six bikes. Looking back to the south, we're a couple hundred feet above the Loving Ranch. There a historical marker that explains this was the ranch that was the basis for the movie Lonesome Dove. I don't think any of the filming was done here. Its just setting for the movie. Next shortly after that, take a left and stop at the overlook a couple hundred feet ABOVE the dam. Impressive site. From here, back to US180 via the same road we were just on, and west for Albany.

Albany an interesting little town. Population is about a thousand, mostly ranchers and businesses that support ranching. The nearest metro area is Abilene, 35 miles southwest. But little Albany has a major world class art museum behind a very unique courthouse. And on the western edge of town is the Hereford Motel. What looks like a movie set for an old western movie with sherrifs office, jail, blacksmith, general store, etc. But the door to each of those shops is actually a door to a motel room.

Dan's plan was to go south from here on US283. Nope. Detour 3. We continue west on US180 for about 6 or 7 miles and turn left on TX351. This goes straight to Abilene. About halfway, the road passes through the Abilene Wind Farm. At least a hundred of the huge 3-bladed turbine generators. Stopped for a couple of pictures.

In Abilene, we stopped for gas, went to Dan's exit off IH20. He went south, and I started my ride back home. I was very surprised when I got Dan's email last night. But very pleased I did. It was along day, close to 400 miles. And made me think maybe an attempt at an Iron Butt ride isn't really realistic for me. But it was great and I have no doubt I'll do it again. Even sooner if any of you want to join me.

And Dan. A great ride partner and a super person in general. Thanks for inviting me, Dan, and for putting up with my detours.

Take care all and ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Well, this morning I get to Dan's motel about five minutes early and he's outside the front door standing by a very nice 1500, motor running and warmed up. This guy's as eager to ride as I am. A few minutes of introduction and minor ride planning.

Dan's plan was to take US180 west to Albany and south from there. But he had some extra time to spend before getting to Big Sping, so I throw in about an hour's worth of detours to his plan.

Detour 1.We leave Mineral Wells south on US281. A nice wide 2-lane that winds downhill and across an old steel arch bridge over the Brazos to IH20. Just before IH20, we turned west on TX2201 to Santo. From Santo, north on TX4 to Palo Pinto. This little stretch of road is only about 15 miles long but is consistently voted one of the Top Ten roads by the readers of Ride Texas magazine. Its a red-headed step sister of the Twisted Sisters.Dan had never been on it, so it was a must. From Palo Pinto, back on US180 to Albany.

Detour 2. About 15 miles later, we turn north on TX16 for Possum Kingdom Lake. We cross the Brazos again just below the PK dam. Literaly below the elevation of the dam. A couple miles past this is a state fish hatchery. DO NOT ride pass here on a hot August day unless you can hold your breath five minutes. Even then the smell will be on your clothing for the rest of the day. The road takes a sharp right and starts an uphill climb. Halfway up the climb, the road makes a blind sharp left against the hillside. Stop here. There is a small overlook with enough parking for two cars or maybe six bikes. Looking back to the south, we're a couple hundred feet above the Loving Ranch. There a historical marker that explains this was the ranch that was the basis for the movie Lonesome Dove. I don't think any of the filming was done here. Its just setting for the movie. Next shortly after that, take a left and stop at the overlook a couple hundred feet ABOVE the dam. Impressive site. From here, back to US180 via the same road we were just on, and west for Albany.

Albany an interesting little town. Population is about a thousand, mostly ranchers and businesses that support ranching. The nearest metro area is Abilene, 35 miles southwest. But little Albany has a major world class art museum behind a very unique courthouse. And on the western edge of town is the Hereford Motel. What looks like a movie set for an old western movie with sherrifs office, jail, blacksmith, general store, etc. But the door to each of those shops is actually a door to a motel room.

Dan's plan was to go south from here on US283. Nope. Detour 3. We continue west on US180 for about 6 or 7 miles and turn left on TX351. This goes straight to Abilene. About halfway, the road passes through the Abilene Wind Farm. At least a hundred of the huge 3-bladed turbine generators. Stopped for a couple of pictures.

In Abilene, we stopped for gas, went to Dan's exit off IH20. He went south, and I started my ride back home. I was very surprised when I got Dan's email last night. But very pleased I did. It was along day, close to 400 miles. And made me think maybe an attempt at an Iron Butt ride isn't really realistic for me. But it was great and I have no doubt I'll do it again. Even sooner if any of you want to join me.

And Dan. A great ride partner and a super person in general. Thanks for inviting me, Dan, and for putting up with my detours.

Take care all and ride safe

Look forward to seeing the pictures. Maybe some of the North Texas forum riders can get up a ride before the summer heat really sets in.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good but I think its too late to beat the heat. Today, on the way back, the bike's thermo showed 92. And, did you here last Tuesday south of Wichita Falls reached 111!!! APRIL! 111!!!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Randy, a super ride report and a super guy. Randy gave you guys the fine details and I took the pictures which I'll post upon my return back home tomorrow. Really glad I gave you a shout Randy as you showed me some country I would have missed. BTW, temps in Bronte yesterday was 100. Bronte is half way between Balinger and Robert Lee on 153 south of Abilene. Really cool riding all back roads from east to west Texas. Tomorrow it's 425 miles of super slab back home.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Riding back from west Texas today and am cruising thru Dallas on I-20, which was a little more than half way home on my 420 mile ride and I notice this guy in a small red pickup running along side me in the fast lane. I look over and it's Randy whom I rode with on Friday on my ride out to west Texas. He's waving at me. Now what's the odds of that happening in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the U.S?

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Riding back from west Texas today and am cruising thru Dallas on I-20, which was a little more than half way home on my 420 mile ride and I notice this guy in a small red pickup running along side me in the fast lane. I look over and it's Randy whom I rode with on Friday on my ride out to west Texas. He's waving at me. Now what's the odds of that happening in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the U.S?
Well, you're not the first man or woman to dance around suggesting freaky situations seem to follow me. Glad you made it home safe. R

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Well, you're not the first man or woman to dance around suggesting freaky situations seem to follow me. Glad you made it home safe. R
Perhaps you were a good omen Randy because not 5 minutes after I saw you the pu truck in front of me hits his brakes hard and whips his truck into the adjacent lane as a car top carrier is right in the middle of my lane as I'm going 65. I never even touched my brakes as I counter steered with right hand and leaned strong to the left missing it by inches and all the while maintaining lane position and jockeyed back to the right. My wife was behind me as I watched in the mirror as she appeared to barely miss it too. Later she told me she grazed it with her bumper. When folks say that the 1500 isn't flickable, I say bull. I learned just how flickable my bike is. I was blown away at how agile a 1500 can be. I was also overwhelmed with how much trash and debris was on this section of the interstate going through Ft. Worth and Dallas. I saw car bumpers, plastic body panels, a bed box spring and lumber and shredded semi truck tires. Running in the city in tight formation is particularly hazardous on 2 wheels when one's reaction time is seriously compromised.

We pulled into home at 7:30 pm for a total of 420 miles and 9 hours in the saddle. Temps were cooler but was still quite windy. I'd never ridden that many miles before all on the super slab. My 1500 was very comfortable to ride on the Intersate. i just wish my neck and shoulder felt better as I rode at a fairly high level of pain on this entire trip. Sure do wish my doctors can get this thing figured out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts