Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just competed 2 rides to the Flinders Rangers. Vanessa was going on a week long camp to study geology and so we loaded the wing up and I dropped her off. On th first trip up there we went the fast boring route to Port Augusta. We left late in the day at 5pm so no photos until the next mornoing at Port Augusta. Port Augusta is at the top of the Spencer Gulf, which is 200 miles north of Adelaide. It is fairly flat and open farming country. In the early days most things moved by sea and Port Augusta was an important sea port. It was here that they unloaded about 50 camels to open up the North. For about 50 years that was the way everything was moved. And then came the railway or in your lingo [railroads] The first2 photos are of the Port. The 3rd. photo is looking across the gulf. 4th. photo is just out of Port Augusta looking towards Tent Hill. The last photo is the Standpipe Hotel. It is just oput of town because the camel drivers needed a watering hole for themselves by the time they got back. Eric

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Went diving on a spot called Flinders Reef when we were there back in '03, but that was way out in the Coral Sea. Looks way more serene where you were, way more land too.:D thanks Eric

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give you a little look around Port Augusta. I don' know if the USA has anything similar but our outback stations [ranches] get their education by school of the air. School of the air is conducted by radio to the students. I took phots of the old and new train stations. The new station has art work of the history of Port Augusta.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for a small look at the part of the Flinders Rangers. This is part of the outback I'm very much at home with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quorn is 25 miles from Port Augusta in the Flinders Rangers. It's a very old town with a lot of our early history. All train going North and South. All trains East and West went through Quorn. Now the trains don't come near Quorn. But the old building are still there and in good condition. There are just so many good old pubs. And a great old rail station. Eric

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
We'll have to visit the south when we get back there Eric. We missed a lot of beautiful country staying in QLD

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Eric, the shots of the Flinders Rangers look like they could have been taken in the foothills of eastern Colorado. Beautiful, rugged country.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for taking the time to read and make a coment. On the way home it was a rush to try and get as many miles in before it got dark. This place is a hopping mass of roos, we stopped at Melrose for photo with Mt Remarable in the background.and then down to a old rail siding that serviced the early traveler. It was late in the day and my bikes hallow had slipped a bit.We still had 150 miles to get home but the roos were kind to us and didn't give us any heart problems. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Are they many accidents involving the roos crossing the highways? We have a problem with deer around these parts.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the roos can right off a car. I have hit a roo on my bike and my car. I have had 2 close calls on my bike in the last year. Take a look at the Grampian trip and there would have been 20 roos in one small paddock. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I was going to say the Flinders Range looks a lot like the Davis Mountains of Texas, where I just came home from. High desert country although the deer and elk were the problems. We had two pickups wrecked from hitting deer while we were working the fire. As usual, great tour sure enjoy all that you tell us about. Although WHEN I get to Australia I may have more to see then is possible.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crownfire: Thankyou for your comments. I have a couple of big rides planned this year. If you never get here you can get a small look at Australia through my rides. But if you can make it I would love to show you around. Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts