Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Hi to everyone. I have been off line for a while and just got back on.
Finally ordered the tapered roller bearings for the steering head. The wobble drives me crazy when backing down. I can feel it even when both hands are on the grips. Dealer only tightens the existing bearing but it never really goes away. Part that really gets me is, not all of the Gold Wings do it. Mine is a 2010, last year made in Ohio. Son-in-Law has identical bike and tells me his does not do it?? Go figure. Honda will not address the issue, only to say that you should not take your hands off the grips. And I shouldn't take the tags off my mattress and pillow either. Oh well. Guess I'll spend the money to correct the problem.

Having it and the Ride Off Center Stand put on the 18th of this month just before a long trip from Maryland up thru New York,(Stopping at OCC for the required T shirt) Catskills, Adirondacks, up into Canada and around Lake Ontario, back down western New York, PA, Maryland and then hone (between Baltimore and D.C.).
The boss on the back seat will be taking the Camera and hope to post some pictures when I get back. Oh, and will post in the right place, rides/trips.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Matched tires? Large amount of weight in top box? Cupped tires from running a bike with low air pressure previously can start a wobble on fast di-exceleration.

Wobble is what two wheel vehicles do. Sometimes it is equipment, sometimes it is operator error.

One thing is sure, that all motorcycles will do it one time or another, some more than others. What makes it tough is it can be a combination of things and fixing one does not eliminate the wobble, but might minimize it.

I am not saying that you should just accept it. I am saying that there is no one item that can cause it. This is a subject that is discussed on virtually every motorcycle specific forum. More so on some. The Concours, the 1100 Honda, to name a few, but certainly Goldwings do it too.

In short, I would be pissed too if I had the wobble in an 2010 Goldwing and would look to Honda for help.

If you do try things and have some success, please post it here as well. Most of the time, people find a solution and they move on to the next thing and don't share what they did to solve it.

:)

·
Registered
743 Posts
The BEST improvement I ever did to my wing was the tapered bearings!! Was told about them by a Honda tech. This is an ongoing problem discussed at great length on this forum. Every body has an opinion about it. As a mechanic and shop owner the only thing I can tell you is you will love the ride after you install them. Can go about 7 miles down the interstate without touching the grips! Do not tell Honda you put them in as they say it will void your warranty. Mine is an o3 so I really do not care what Honda says, besides they will never touch my motorcycle! I do all the maintenance on it. As to what Larry said, I spent a lot of money on what Honda said might cause it, then found a tech that admitted Honda had a problem with the head bearings but would not admit their mistake. He is the one who told me about them. Torque on bearings should be about 23 ft pnds. Also as to all motorcycles doing it I have had some that did but was able to find the problem and cure it. This is the 1 main reason NOBODY touches my Wing but ME!

G

·
Hi Police Could you please elaborate on this. Where did you buy the bearing and who could do it for me. What do you think the final cost is going to be. Thank you,

·
Registered
743 Posts
Bearings are available online from Traxxion.com Find an independent shop in your area that works on wings and price it through them. There is a guy in GA that says he charges 150$ and will do it while you wait. If you have a motorcycle lift jack you can do it without removing the windshield or fairing. Did mine in about 2.5 hrs. Called all ball steering head bearings. kit for 1800 is part #SHBK-GL1800

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I think the worst thing is that not all Wings do it, at least not to the same degree. Since I have fairly high mileage tires on my '09 at the moment, I did a test and removed my hands from the bars during decelleration from 55 mph (not a long distance away from them mind you) and yes mine did shake it's head some, but not to any nasty degree IMO. While there may be some head bearing issues, I think the major culprit is the slightly cupped front tire as much as anything. The bike did NOT do it when I tested it when the tires were less worn than now. My discussions with the tech line while not helpful at the time, did have the tech admitting they were working on trying to come up with a solution. That was over a year ago:(. And no I didn't test out the new '12:eek: to see if it did when I did the test run after the PDI.
I know one rider that has an '05 that is absolutely wicked when his tires are about half done, but I don't think he's put in tapered bearings, just re-torqued the stock ones. If mine ever did start shaking it's head violently, I'd put in a set of the all balls immediately, regardless of what Mother H says.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I have heard this from others. Luckely mine is fine. Thanks for the information, good to know. My second set of front tires (33,000+ on my 2010) are getting pretty worn.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I get a real bad front end wobble at times, more of a shudder at low speeds, lasts a couple seconds and then won't come back for a few weeks.

G

·
Bearings are available online from Traxxion.com Find an independent shop in your area that works on wings and price it through them. There is a guy in GA that says he charges 150$ and will do it while you wait. If you have a motorcycle lift jack you can do it without removing the windshield or fairing. Did mine in about 2.5 hrs. Called all ball steering head bearings. kit for 1800 is part #SHBK-GL1800
I just ordered the bearings for $58 or so, delivered. In 2 weeks I'm going south to FL for the summer. Could you give that guy's tel or email? I might stop in Ga for the job.
The wobble on my bike is noticeable when I enter my driveway at low speed and was very pronounced when I drove in one occasion over the lawn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a retired Marine aircraft mechanic, how hard are these to replace and what maintenance manual would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Clymer manuals are OK, but they sometimes are missing certain things. The Honda manual isn't perfect either and they are a bit pricey, but that's the one I would recommend. I have them for both my bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All Balls head bearings

I have an 05 that had the head shake so bad, it will scare you in steep curves. My dad has an identical 05 that is smooth as silk. Hmm - go figure. My bike is used seldom (work has gotten in the way), so I have 7k miles on it and the tires are 2/3 baked but no real bad cupping issues. It has had the head shake from day 1. I've previously owned an '89 1500, and a '95 1500 that didn't have this problem, so I just thought all 1800's had the problem until I rode my dads. Anyway, I asked my Honda dealer last weekend about the bearing kit and he said by all means do it. The bearing kit is about $100 and the labor from the dealership is $112.50. I have mechanical aptitude but for $112, I'll let it be their baby if they break plastic on it. I'll update when it's done to let you all know how big the change is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Finally got back on the Forum. Installed the Tapered bearings on the steering head and took out trip up around Lake Ontario. The front End Wobble is gone. Go figure !! How some Gold Wings are affected and some are not, is beyond me and Honda also. They have no idea. My theory is when the steering head housing is welded onto the frame, is is off on some bikes by a very small amount, which changes the geometry of the forts/wheel and this is just enough to cause the fron end wobble. I tested my front end wobble with absolutely noting in or on the bike other than me, so i knew it was not becasue I had the Trunk overloaded, or the tires under inflated. The tapered bearing cured it.
Our trip was GREAT !! We had a ball and did 2100 miles in 9 days. More on the trip later, this work stuff is getting in the way of my play time.

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Glad your problem is fixed and you had a safe and enjoyable trip. Ride safe..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an 08 that i bought 2 weeks ago and it too has the infamous wobble.I plan on doing the fix myself.I have to find that special socket to do the job.I dont have enough posts to get one from Saunders forum.I borrowed one from the VTX forum to do my forks on my VTX 1800 a few years back.I'm wondering if it is the same socket for both bikes,if so i can probably borrow it again from same member or just buy one from ebay for $44

http://wingstuff.com/products/21578-all-balls-gold-wing-steering-bearings

1 - 16 of 16 Posts