Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to unveil Gort. Last year I decided I needed, ok, well wanted a trailer to pull behind my 07 GW. After hours and hours of design, assembly and additions, this is the final result. I wanted something that would carry a lot of stuff and be functional. We like to camp so that was the primary thought concerning its design.

It started out as a Harbor Freight Mini Trailer with 12 inch wheels, Model 90153. Assembly was easy enough and yet there were some things that had to be addressed during that time. The holes in the frame that held the tongue had to be modified so that the tongue pointed exactly 90 degrees from the frame. It was about 4 degrees off plum when first assembled. When assembly was complete I got 1 each 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch exterior plywood. This one sheet ended up having about 3 square inches surplus after the build. I used Water Proof Stain from Lowe's to coat the plywood. There is a lesson here. It says on the can to use 1 good coat. I figured that if 1 was good, 2 would be better. WRONG...After I had got the 2nd coat on, I realized that this stuff is designed to be soaked up by the wood. Well, Duh...that was done on coat 1 and so it was water proofed already and it took 6 days baking in the 108 degree Texas heat before coat number 2 finally dried or evaporated.

Went to Tractor Supply and bought the tool boxes I had decided to use. Poly boxes are 19w x 44long x 17 1/2h. The Tongue Box is from there also. Each has a capacity of 6.3 to 6.9 cu ft. For a total of 19.5 cu ft of storage. They weigh 76 lbs total for all. I then cut the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood I had earlier water proofed to size using these boxes as templates and bolted the plywood to the frame of the trailer as a floor. I used the excess plywood to make floors in each box and put them inside. Then I put the boxes on the trailer and bolted them to the trailer floor.

I had purchased a 45Watt Solar Panel Kit from HF at the time I got the trailer. Mounted a solar cell on each side box and ran the wires to the tongue box. I had also purchased a 2000/4000 watt inverter and I mounted that in the tongue box. Installed weather proof AC outlets and weather proof DC outlets on the tongue box. Installed 2 each Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle batteries connected in parallel for max current. Installed LED trailer lights and Kury Trailer Isolator pigtail so that the trailer lights draw directly off the battery of the GW and not through its wired electrical system .

Well, the final question is: Does all this work? Yes it does. I can 'self sustain' for as long as there is sunlight during the day to recharge the batteries if needed. I have full access to 110v AC and 12v DC at any time. The batteries recharge whether moving or not as long as there is sun. Makes for great camping where electrical devices are occasionally needed. As a test I have run a small 21 inch TV, 2 small A/C fans and 2 each 12vDC lights for 12 hours and woke to the sound of coffee perking in the Mr. Coffee.

Would I do all this again, well, I don't know. It wasn't any cheaper than buying a bare bones trailer, but then I would have missed out on the design, assembly and pride that comes with starting from scratch and finishing something that is yours and yours alone. Besides, I should never have to buy or build another one anyway. Well, folks, there it is and Gort is ready for the open road. Tows great and as of this writing, I have no real hard complaints. I do want to point out right here that towing with the GW should be attempted in steps. The characteristics of the bike are changed by towing a trailer. If you get a trailer, exercise caution while getting the hang of towing and above all don't let your guard down.

Klaatu barada nikto.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks great!!
What did it cost to build?
What is the total weight?
The total cost was around $1200. The total weight is close to 320 lbs. The biggest expense was the Optima Batteries at $220 each. Reason for using them is they are non vented, mountable in any position and maintenance free. They are not lead acid batteries.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
You are da man Isaac. Great job.

You can probably get yourself a couple orders right here.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Way cool my Texas friend. Dang, that's one nice silver 'wing' on your "w:cool:;)ing"

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Now if you could get the Wing to run on solar you would not need gas and could go forever.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way cool my Texas friend. Dang, that's one nice silver 'wing' on your "w:cool:;)ing"
Dang, feller, I am glad you noticed that. Ain't it purdy. Really is a nice one and makes the back of the bike visible over the trailer at night. All because of you, my man. :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now if you could get the Wing to run on solar you would not need gas and could go forever.
Wow, what an idea. I could put an electric motor on the trailer and use it to push the wing. I could put the bike in neutral when up to speed and engage the motor on the trailer. Dang.....back to the drawing board. Thanks for the idea...:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Dang, feller, I am glad you noticed that. Ain't it purdy. Really is a nice one and makes the back of the bike visible over the trailer at night. All because of you, my man. :D
Awww, garsh; yer makin me blush.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
weight

Time to unveil Gort. Last year I decided I needed, ok, well wanted a trailer to pull behind my 07 GW. After hours and hours of design, assembly and additions, this is the final result. I wanted something that would carry a lot of stuff and be functional. We like to camp so that was the primary thought concerning its design.

It started out as a Harbor Freight Mini Trailer with 12 inch wheels, Model 90153. Assembly was easy enough and yet there were some things that had to be addressed during that time. The holes in the frame that held the tongue had to be modified so that the tongue pointed exactly 90 degrees from the frame. It was about 4 degrees off plum when first assembled. When assembly was complete I got 1 each 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch exterior plywood. This one sheet ended up having about 3 square inches surplus after the build. I used Water Proof Stain from Lowe's to coat the plywood. There is a lesson here. It says on the can to use 1 good coat. I figured that if 1 was good, 2 would be better. WRONG...After I had got the 2nd coat on, I realized that this stuff is designed to be soaked up by the wood. Well, Duh...that was done on coat 1 and so it was water proofed already and it took 6 days baking in the 108 degree Texas heat before coat number 2 finally dried or evaporated.

Went to Tractor Supply and bought the tool boxes I had decided to use. Poly boxes are 19w x 44long x 17 1/2h. The Tongue Box is from there also. Each has a capacity of 6.3 to 6.9 cu ft. For a total of 19.5 cu ft of storage. They weigh 76 lbs total for all. I then cut the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood I had earlier water proofed to size using these boxes as templates and bolted the plywood to the frame of the trailer as a floor. I used the excess plywood to make floors in each box and put them inside. Then I put the boxes on the trailer and bolted them to the trailer floor.

I had purchased a 45Watt Solar Panel Kit from HF at the time I got the trailer. Mounted a solar cell on each side box and ran the wires to the tongue box. I had also purchased a 2000/4000 watt inverter and I mounted that in the tongue box. Installed weather proof AC outlets and weather proof DC outlets on the tongue box. Installed 2 each Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle batteries connected in parallel for max current. Installed LED trailer lights and Kury Trailer Isolator pigtail so that the trailer lights draw directly off the battery of the GW and not through its wired electrical system .

Well, the final question is: Does all this work? Yes it does. I can 'self sustain' for as long as there is sunlight during the day to recharge the batteries if needed. I have full access to 110v AC and 12v DC at any time. The batteries recharge whether moving or not as long as there is sun. Makes for great camping where electrical devices are occasionally needed. As a test I have run a small 21 inch TV, 2 small A/C fans and 2 each 12vDC lights for 12 hours and woke to the sound of coffee perking in the Mr. Coffee.

Would I do all this again, well, I don't know. It wasn't any cheaper than buying a bare bones trailer, but then I would have missed out on the design, assembly and pride that comes with starting from scratch and finishing something that is yours and yours alone. Besides, I should never have to buy or build another one anyway. Well, folks, there it is and Gort is ready for the open road. Tows great and as of this writing, I have no real hard complaints. I do want to point out right here that towing with the GW should be attempted in steps. The characteristics of the bike are changed by towing a trailer. If you get a trailer, exercise caution while getting the hang of towing and above all don't let your guard down.

Klaatu barada nikto.
What is the Gross weight of the trailer with your gear stowed in it ? I have a new trailer like this one and i have never assembled it , so i was wondering if i want to go the same route that you did !

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the Gross weight of the trailer with your gear stowed in it ? I have a new trailer like this one and i have never assembled it , so i was wondering if i want to go the same route that you did !
I have no idea because its mostly camping gear and pretty lite. The Payload (Max Capacity) is listed at 1090 lbs. Behind the GW, I have hauled 300 pounds of Cattle Food (Range Cubes) in it. People at the feed store looked at me like I was crazy but then I told them that 38 mpg on regular gas is a whole lot easier on the pocket book than 15 mpg on Diesel like their trucks. I would make a suggestion if you haven't assembled it yet. Go back to HF and buy the extra wheel bearings because the bearings, and seals are Metric. Not gonna hardly find any of those things at AutoZone or any place else. So, get spares now in case you ever need them.:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good job DreamWeaver. I'm contemplating building my own trailer as well. I definitely won't be going 'green' with solar power but your design sure is nifty. Where's the shower and toilet?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good job DreamWeaver. I'm contemplating building my own trailer as well. I definitely won't be going 'green' with solar power but your design sure is nifty. Where's the shower and toilet?
Shower is a 2 gallon Solar Shower (black heavy plastic bag with nozzle) from Cabella's and the toilet is on a roll slid on a Army entrenching tool. :D

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Great job, now go put it to use and have fun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
...snipped...
Klaatu barada nikto.
Now, that's what I call a utility trailer! Nice job! I, too, added a trailer to my GW trike - Same as yours except Northern Tool and 8" wheels. Same deal here - spray painted the wood decking I put on it. Seemed to take weeks to dry. Next time, I'd hand-paint using varnish.

I'll say this... on my 89 GW with the Voyager trike kit, the trailer doesn't affect handling at all, except for stopping :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts