Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i understand a car tire on the bike but what years of gw can u do thid with i used to drag race and having a tire like that at the back can br reassuring and at times a nightmare but now since all i do is cruise it could be beneficial to me as long as i can do it to my bike hmmmmmmmmmm research required

·
Registered
741 Posts
The 'other' forum has an entire section dedicated to the Darkside. But beware, they love fresh meat!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Go onto the GL1800riders website and go to the Darkside forum (small print near the bottom). There are over a thousand Darksiders there and I'm sure you will find your answer quick.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
What they all said above.......

And "May The Force Be With You"........

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Methinks us m/c tired guys are a dying breed:eek: I'd search the 'other' forum for an answer, but if you post just be aware that there's a few there that won't talk to someone on anything but an 1800. In their defense it is an "1800" forum. I think the biggest thing to watch for is finding an appropriate size tire.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Dookoo just finished posting this video on u tube. He put a car tire on his 1800 Wing, mounted a camera on the side and took his Wing to the track.

Thanks for this demonstration of the car tire....

Any questions??? Address them to the track man Dookoo. I just ride my Wing slow enough to read mailboxes. Sometimes I pull a trailer and sometimes I do it two up. I have 11,000 miles on my car tire now and I think I am just about half way towards the wear bars.

This is a different ride he posted showing the tire on his bike immediately after he mounted it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are unsafe. Car tires are square. You lean into the corners thus you need a round Motorcycle tire. Even the GL1800 manual says do not use a car tire. It requires more pushing to turn. and changes the handling. If it were so good don't you think at least one manufacturer would include it as standard equipment? They don't because they are unsafe

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
They are unsafe. Car tires are square. You lean into the corners thus a round MT
I would have thought so too. Are we car tire riders defying the laws of physics ? All we know is that it works and sooner or later some engineer is going to brake down the component forces at work and compare them to a m/t.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
They are unsafe. Car tires are square. You lean into the corners thus a round MT
You comment is incorrect..... these installations are just as safe as a regular installation of a motorcycle tire. Some regard this as safer as there is more of a contact patch on the asphalt with the car tire.

Most are confused about tire ratings. Tires are rated for weight and speed and has nothing to do with the vehicle in which it is put on.

Yes, motorcycle tires are rated for motorcycles only, but it is not the reverse on tires manufactured for automobiles.

We are not mounting wheel barrow tires rated for 10 mph on a motorcycle. The tire is rated within the guidelines for speed and weight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK I am now officially a darksider, I put a Hancook tire on this AM after a chunk of my Dunlop blew off.

The shop has me at 35PSI, which feels pretty good may a hair soft.
What are you guys running for tire pressure?

2005 1800 with a new Cobra on the front too

·
Registered
741 Posts
Congrats Scooter01. I know that tire pressures vary with the brand and model tire. I'm running 34 on my Kuhmo run flats. Any impressions so far you wish to share?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Like Dookoo said each tire brand is different.....The CT should have the MAX pressure on the side wall where the production date info is....I would look at it and make sure you do not go over that when tire is cold...might even run a few pounds lower when tire is cold as it will heat up on the road and expand.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
OK I am now officially a darksider, I put a Hancook tire on this AM after a chunk of my Dunlop blew off.

The shop has me at 35PSI, which feels pretty good may a hair soft.
What are you guys running for tire pressure?

2005 1800 with a new Cobra on the front too
Congrats! After the 400 mile Interstate ride today on my Kuhmo run-flat tire I'm even more satisfied with it. I run mine at , or about, 32 psi cold. I've checked it warm at it runs about 35 psi +/-. Is the HancooK a " Run Flat " tire ? Not that it matters

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Not every rider takes his motorcycle to the extream and leans the bike over to drag the pegs. So running a CT is not a big thing. It handles fine and you really do not know it is there. Most people like to do a lot of riding on their bikes and the motorcycle tires are very expensive. You get more miles on a CT and they are cheeper.....I got mine for $97 delivered to my front door. Also not all riders with CT's are riding on two wheels.....some like me are using the CT on a trike and the leaning is not an issue. So far I have not heard or read anywhere of a CT on a motorcycle causing problems and making it unsafe to ride.

But hey if you are so opposed to the CT on a motorcycle then for all's sake DO NOT put one on yours.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they want on their motorcycles from safety devices ( horns, modulators, deer alerts) to chrome and car tires, but don't call everyone that does things to their motorcycles dumb-asses!!!!!

Ok off my soapbox ...Now !!!! Have a Safe Day !!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts