Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went on a 400 mile ride along the coorong in South Australia. Leaving Adelaide I road up the freeway through the Adelaide hill to our first stop at Tailem Bend which is 75 miles from home. The western side of the hills is the wettest place in South Australia and has a lot of tall gum trees. There are a lot of nice day trips in the Adelaide hills, but today it was straight through. So the tall trees thin out in about 40 miles but it is still hilly for the next 15 miles where you will come across the only perment river the River Murray in South Australia, then onto Tailem Bend. After a 15 minute break we road down past Lake Albert to the Coorong. The Coorong is about 60 mile long reserve where pelicans live and breed. This is where the movie Storm boy came from. From there I rode to Kingston where I meet my brother who was on his first ride after a bad meeting with a car. I road with him for 50 miles before returning home.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Nice pictures Eric. What year is the Sabre (good looking bike)?

By the way how are the plans coming for your Stateside trip? Send me a PM if you have info or need any comments.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and virtual trip. Nice bike, too.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Great pics, Eric. Looks like a overcast day. Perfect for riding.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Nice pics

Thank you for the nice pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt rug up enough and was so cold that it took about 2 hours to get warm again. It was between 3 and 6 c in the hills. The Sabre is a 1985. I have just made the carrier on the back to carry the gear sack and I used this ride to test it. I had the sleeping bags and tent on to make sure that it would be ok for the Philip Island trip in 13 days time. I have to carry enough for me and my son for 8 days.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for the pictures. This reminds me of how incredible this internet is that you and I can have this conversation, I can see pictures of things I will never see and we have a common bond in that we love to ride these 2 wheeled machines.

Ride safe, rug up better next time it might be a 3 dog night.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Philip Island

Just over a week to go before we leave for Philip Island. I am excited and cant wait to get on the road. We will be on 5 of the great rides that is in the Austalian Motorcycle Atlas. If you ever plan a trip to Australia let me know and I will get one to you. If you are going to ride here you could use this book to get the best roads with more things to see. Now to get on with my gripe. After months of planning, booking rooms,getting the tickets, at this late stage I get 3 mates cancelled. Now I have to ring all of the place that I have booked to stay at and cancel their bookings. We are getting my sons plasters off a week early the day before we leave so he can come. On the day we are leaving I will be getting his riding boots. Because we cant fit them until the plasters are off. They really have had no disasters, I guess they were just not keen. Even if I had to carry Kristian he would be coming. He will be able to walk but not very well.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
That's a bummer, for them. It's hard enough planning a day ride sometimes, let alone a trip of this magnitude. As you get closer to finalizing your itinerary in Arizona, let me know. My visit out there is not date specific yet; but I usually book the flight ahead and go with the best ticket price for the March or April months.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chopin114. We were planing to go in 2012 but if $ stays up I may put it ahead 1 year. But then I have the complication of having no leave so that may stop that idea. We dont like the idea of going in august september because we though it may get very hot in that part of the USA. You will love the photos of the trip to Philip Island, but I will not be able to post it until I get back because there will not be the room for my lap top.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Thanks Chopin114. We were planing to go in 2012 but if $ stays up I may put it ahead 1 year. But then I have the complication of having no leave so that may stop that idea. We dont like the idea of going in august september because we though it may get very hot in that part of the USA. You will love the photos of the trip to Philip Island, but I will not be able to post it until I get back because there will not be the room for my lap top.
Traveling the southwest on a bike can be a tricky those months. It's all about the elevation difference. I'm not a meteorologist, but I suggest May through June. I'll inform you of the weather difference from Phoenix ( 1,200 ft. ) to Flagstaff ( 7,000 ft. ) when I go next early spring.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
In your vernacular Eric, "no worries mate" You take your son and have the time of your lives. Keep us all posted on your arizona plans, you never know who you might bump into!

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Budoka, mate I have been in the bush most of my life and I am very happy in that environment, hence my love of smaller bikes that are easier to get over rough country. I am very much a people person and would love to meet some of my USA mates, either in the USA or over here. You would have laugh you head off if you had see me try to get my Honda Sabre down a sandy bush track. I dont know if you have heard of bull dust. Bull dust is like dirt powder. I was in it. You could not get through it and what a battle to get out of it.I thought how stupid was I to try to go down it. I will not try that again and not on a wing either.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Understand the 'bull dust', saw a bit of that when we were over there a few years back travelling some of those roads the lorry trains rumble down. Yeesh, get behind them and you can't see a thing for miles, and the flippin' stuff coats over everything (we had a hired caravan). Took a week to get it cleaned out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts