Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2020 Goldwing in Aug. 2020. I have almost 6k on it and I love. I came over from a Indian Roadmaster. The last 3 years, around this time of year I would have a bear of a time starting in the morning. My bike is gated and secure, but outside. I can tender it but it is kind of a hassle. The V-twin, I would put a tender, and a block warmer when it got in the 30's. I've been riding the new Wing almost everyday and she starts right up.

How are these things in the winter?

I use to have a BMW 1200 LT and lived in a house, I kept it in the garage and rode all year if there wasn't snow a lot of snow on the road. I did keep it on a tender when it got real cold. Since I moved downtown and store my bike outside, I ussually put it in storage during the coldest part of winter, but I miss not riding on some of those nicer winter days.
This will be my first year with the GW.

Any sugestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,469 Posts
I ride year round. But down here in Mississippi snow is rare. We do get some cold weather. Until a few months ago mine was garaged. Open carport now so I'll have to see how the cold affects mine also.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I keep my 2012 wing in the unheated shed in the back yard for the winter. No tender and have not had a problem starting in the spring. Knock on wood. Usually sits from Dec. to April.

·
Super Moderator
11,892 Posts
I've started and ridden mine on a nice day (35* and clear roads) in February.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
mine is in an open carport, I ride anytime it is above about 38, hunting boots with dress slacks don't look to good together or I would ride colder,
however, I did get caught at school one day when a cold front came thru earlier than forecast, so road home in the 20s and had ice on my jacket when I got home
the bike busted off better than my dodge diesel

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I picked up a 2020 Goldwing in Aug. 2020. I have almost 6k on it and I love. I came over from a Indian Roadmaster. The last 3 years, around this time of year I would have a bear of a time starting in the morning. My bike is gated and secure, but outside. I can tender it but it is kind of a hassle. The V-twin, I would put a tender, and a block warmer when it got in the 30's. I've been riding the new Wing almost everyday and she starts right up.

I use to have a BMW 1200 LT and lived in a house, I kept it in the garage and rode all year if there wasn't snow a lot of snow on the road. I did keep it on a tender when it got real cold. Since I moved downtown and store my bike outside, I ussually put it in storage during the coldest part of winter, but I miss not riding on some of those nicer winter days.

I'm in Utah and ride year round electric gear and eat I for ice! Mine is great! She does live in a unheated garage.

·
Super Moderator
9,878 Posts
Here in NE Pa I usually put the bike away in an unheated garage starting in December and got it back out (weather and road conditions permitting) in late March/early April.

I always put it on the center stand and hooked up the battery tender and let it hibernate for the winter.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
I always put a nice quantity of sea foam in the fuel tank before topping it off and riding home during the fall/winter. I keep a battery tender on it while it sleeps in its unheated shed and it is always ready to play if I get a day that is free of ice or snow or salt.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine has been put into hibernation yesterday (10/28/20)............Oil/filter changed, radiator fluid replaced, wash/wax'd, spark plugs replaced, parked in the UNheated garage with all three wheels off the cement floor, stablizer in gas, and battery tender plug'd in........warm blanket cover'd over............Time to pull out the snow skies. "THINK SNOW"

Ronnie

·
Registered
30 Posts

I have an 08 and live in the northeast. I have started to tender it the last couple of years but didnt for many before that. Started like a charm every time. It is garaged and out of the weather however there is no heat in the garage.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Up here in the cold north, I have stored my previous bikes in an unheated shed from about November 1 to mid-April, depending on when the roads dry up and the winter gravel is swept up off the pavement! But alas, since I bought the Wing this past spring, I have discovered that it is too wide to fit into my bike storage shed.

We can get to -40C, which incidentally is 40 below F. To prep the bike for winter, I added fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas, changed the oil, removed the battery (and put it on a tender in my heated garage). I put the Wing up on it's centre stand and put a heavy rubber pad under the tires. I put some steel wool into the tailpipes, and then covered it up good - to keep it out of direct sunlight and to keep the snow from making contact with the bike. In the spring, it's an easy task to re-install the battery, start the engine and ride away!

·
Super Moderator
11,892 Posts
Maui, sounds like it's time to make the door larger on the shed!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maui, sounds like it's time to make the door larger on the shed!
LOL! It’s not just the door that’s the problem. The entire shed is long and narrow along the fence at the side of my house. I’d have to make the shed bigger as well as the door.

I actually toyed with the idea of just keeping my Wing inside my heated garage, but then I would have to park my truck outside, and I really like getting into a warm vehicle on those cold days, so the Wing got the boot!

By next winter, I hope to have completed a garage at my summer cabin, and I will store the bike in there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
LOL! It’s not just the door that’s the problem. The entire shed is long and narrow along the fence at the side of my house. I’d have to make the shed bigger as well as the door.

I actually toyed with the idea of just keeping my Wing inside my heated garage, but then I would have to park my truck outside, and I really like getting into a warm vehicle on those cold days, so the Wing got the boot!

By next winter, I hope to have completed a garage at my summer cabin, and I will store the bike in there.
Wing or car into garage?? I have live'd in my home since 1985 (with an one car atteched garage) and never has there ever been a car in my garage, The car sits outside in driveway, and the motorcycle's get first priority... (always) BUT then again I live in Msssachusetts, and it (hopefully) never get -40 below... (maybe +10 deg's/the coldest) I forgot to place steel wool in my exhust pipes ..Thx's for the reminder, as I mentioned above, everything else has been done.....

Ronnie

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well you sure are lucky to ride year around, you better get a go pro and post videos of your rides to give us northern folks a fix.😁
I just ride all year round.:p

Reactions: NREMTP and Maui

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maui you mean that a car can go in a garage who would have thought, you ought to patent that idea. I have a two car garage and still don't have enough room for all my tools and toys, cars and trucks have never seen the inside of it in 43 years.😂

1 - 18 of 18 Posts