Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am between clients right now, and reading through some threads here. The Rt 12 thread caught my attention since I live here in NC.

Whats is on your Bucket list of places to ride ? I bet this group can have some fun with this! I know someone here will come up with a place/ ride that I would not have thought of. Since were new wing owners my list is just getting started, we just did part of the Parkway, next may be the Dragon Tail?

But for a once in a lifetime ride for me maybe Rt 66?

Whats on your list??

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My big one is to do the 4 corner motorcycle tour. Might have to wait a few years, but some day I hope I can get it done.

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
At the top of my very long bucket list is to get on US HWY 2 at the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan and ride it west to the end in Everett, Washington.

Another is to ride in the Cape Breton Highlands in Nova Scotia. That’s 2000 miles from here so it would be a pretty good long trip. Along with this I most likely would hit the east end US Hwy 2. It goes east from Rouses Point, New York to Houlton, Maine.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i am trying to kick the bucket so there is no need for a list

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I rode one this weekend that is on the top 10 AMA list of American Roads for Motorcycles... from Clarkston, WA to Enterprise Oregon.... on highway 129. Rattlesnake pass it is called. I am still dizzy from the curves on that road.

I rode a total of 950 miles in three days....

I rode some of route 66 earlier this spring in Arizona.

Pictures will follow in a separate thread.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Having a bucket list is a luxury with work demands right now.
I am taking this Friday to ride the Dragon. Haven't done it this year so looking forward to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rode the dragon last year on my HD Ultra. My buddy had his wing; I could not keep up with him, I scraped floor boards on nearly every turn and he just kept outrunning me.

WeldNut

·
Registered
232 Posts
At the top of my very long bucket list is to get on US HWY 2 at the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan and ride it west to the end in Everett, Washington....
Wow Mark, you have inspired me. I was not aware of Rt.#2 until now. Is is supposed to be pretty scenic? It looks like something I would want to do and I thank you for pointing it out. I see a detour to Banff Springs up in Canada on that trip as well!

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
Is is supposed to be pretty scenic? It looks like something I would want to do and I thank you for pointing it out. I see a detour to Banff Springs up in Canada on that trip as well!
You start out along the north shore of Lake Michigan and head off into Wisconsin and Minnesota. Crossing those should be scenic and near Bemidji, MN is the headwaters of the Mississippi River. After that you head off into the plaines of North Dakota and eastern Montana. Depends on what you like but I think it would be interesting. I've been on the part of it near Glacier National Park on wildfires. It is just off Lake McDonald and the Going to the Sun road in the park. Very pretty. After that is more mountains into Idaho and then the high plaines in Washington. Wide open and lots of fruit is grown (been there for a fire also) just before you head back into the Cascade mountains then into Everett. Yep a ride up to Banff would sure top it off.

Sounds better every time I think about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At this point my bucket list of rides would be short. I moved to Arkansas 9 years ago and I've ridden all over the mountains here but I really need and want to make a trip back to Colorado where I moved from before I owned a bike. I would like to take two weeks and ride from the southern mountains to the northern mountains as they are so diverse. I haven't laid out the trip yet but I will this winter. I'm thinking a trip near the western side all the way up to the top and then a loop to the east side of the Rockies in Colorado and back down. On the way I would stop at the 4 corners as I've been bye there several times but I never took the time to stop and actually set a foot into every state while turning in a circle.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
High on my list is a ride out west to see the Grand Canyon and the giant redwoods.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
You start out along the north shore of Lake Michigan and head off into Wisconsin and Minnesota. Crossing those should be scenic and near Bemidji, MN is the headwaters of the Mississippi River. After that you head off into the plaines of North Dakota and eastern Montana. Depends on what you like but I think it would be interesting. I've been on the part of it near Glacier National Park on wildfires. It is just off Lake McDonald and the Going to the Sun road in the park. Very pretty. After that is more mountains into Idaho and then the high plaines in Washington. Wide open and lots of fruit is grown (been there for a fire also) just before you head back into the Cascade mountains then into Everett. Yep a ride up to Banff would sure top it off.

Sounds better every time I think about it.
have you taken rt2 through michigan yet? i did back in '76 but i was heading to milwaukee

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
New England for sure. September would be a good month. I have free place to stay in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
have you taken rt2 through michigan yet? i did back in '76 but i was heading to milwaukee
I travelled it all the time (late 70's) going between Detroit and Michigan Tech where I went to college. I always turned north at Gladstone on Hwy 41.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Right now...Key West. With this summers heat, may have to wait till Fall to do it tho....
Trip (Final 100 miles or so) is more alluring than the destination itself for me. Dreamed of it for many years. High on my 'to do' list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, i'm 42 yrs old, have ridden street bikes since i was 15, just bought my 3rd wing a couple of weeks ago, yet i've never taken a "trip". My brother and i are planning a trip to Tennessee and ride the dragons tail in late August. May go to Iowa first weekend in July on a solo trip. So the Dragons tail is on my list, as is any road away from home. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Me and my wife rode the Dragon on 6/6/11 up to Maryville Tn and back to Robbinsville NC. 2nd day we rode the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinville to Telico Plains Tn and then back to Robbinsville. These are 2 rides that I had on my bucket list,so now I can cross them off.We had a great time,only wish it was 10 degrees cooler.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts