Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets go fishing.....At 11:30 last night my son calls me with those words. Why not since we have been cooped up for 6 months existing in an air conditioned environment and cabin fever is running rampant. So, at 7 this morning we grabbed all sorts of stuff , and away we went. He and his daughter on his GW and me on mine. Which way should we go? Go west young man, go west. The skies are funny looking since they have something in them we haven't seen in months and thats clouds. Its only about 82 degrees so the riding is nice. Heading out on Hwy 29 we passed through Burnet and got gas and some breakfast vittles at Sonic. Times a wastin so we take the breakfast stuff with us to eat when we get wherever were going, wherever that turns out to be.

Jumped off Hwy 29 and headed for Canyon of the Eagles on Lake Buchanan at about 8 or so. Got down there to find no water. At best it would have been a mile or so to get to the lake, whats left of it, so we sat down and had those breakfast snacks. You have to see the lakes here to believe just how bad the drought has been. Buchanan is 25 feet below its normal level and won't be long before you can spit across it. Well, this ain't no good so we decide to jump back on Hwy 29 and head further west to Inks Lake and the Inks Lake State Park. Inks is a constant level lake so there should be some water there.

After paying an outrageous fee to get in, ($5.00 per person) we set about hunting a place to wet a line. Two years ago the fees used to be $2.00 per head or $5.00 per carload for an all day pass. Guess we can kiss that good bye like so many other things but the state needs more money so they can look good for the upcoming presidential race. Anyway, we head out to the North dock to try our luck. Wind is blowing but low and behold, there is water there. Un-packing my gear I notice that I threw in the SPOT Tracker. Time for a test. I turned it on, stuck it in the canvas bag upside down and under everything and stuffed it all back in the trunk of the GW. No way can it work.....OK, we fished there for a while and caught nothing. Son was using ultra light tackle and I was fly fishing. The wind was blowing so hard that my fly fishing was really just fly flopping. Couldn't cast over about 20 feet but no big deal. I was fishing and thats all that counted.

Stayed there a while and we decided to ramble on down to the other side of the park to the South Fishing Pier. That park was packed to the gills but we found it and did some fishing there. Did we catch anything you ask...Well, no but who cares, we were fishing and it was only about 90 degrees and those funny looking things in the sky were still floating around. After a while our stomachs began to gnaw at our backbones so we decided to give up the ghost and go for BBQ. We jumped back on Hwy 29 and headed further west to Llano and Coopers BBQ. Its pricey but pretty good stuff. Got full as ticks and decided by the time we got home it would be time to feed so turning the GW's around we headed home. Noticed on the way home that the Llano River is bone dry in most places. Another sign of the times and that is the water supply for the town of Llano.

Arriving home I wheeled the GW into the barn and only then did I remember about the SPOT test. Retrieved it and turned it off and we called it a day. We caught nothing, but temps never got over 94 and we covered 130 miles safely so all in all it was a good day. Came inside and checked the SPOT website and low and behold there was the track. This SPOT Tracker simply amazes me each and every time I use it. So, if you want to see where we went today just go to the website below and you can see it. Make sure to select "Hybrid" in the upper right and that way you can see the roads superimposed on Google Photos. Looks like the photos were taken several years ago cause you see green vegetation. Only green around here now is cactus and mold in the frig.

So, maybe next week when the big cold front comes in and we drop into the upper 80's, we will do all this again. Did we have fun...? You bet we did. Riding with family, fishing and eating BBQ made it one of the best days in the past 6 months. Whats the one thing I forgot on the trip...Camera. Sorry I can't share any photos with ya but maybe next time...

From the Prairie....

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...xZcX04UtroasU6

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you all had a great time..And that's all that matters.
Family,riding enjoying the open rode..

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
No it was a good yarn. Over here there was a lake that was in the middle of a 10 year drought and there was no water at all. The grass grew and they called it the green lake. Last year they had a heap of rain and now it has water again. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Great story DW sans fish of course. The main thing was you had some quality time with family & snuck a ride in to boot.

Long John Silvers has plenty of fish when you want some anyway.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
At least your trunk doesn't smell like fish now.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Glad you had a great trip with family. Your riding season has not been great deep in the heart of Texas. Ride safe and be safe...

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Issac. Can't get your Spot Tracker page to pull up. Your story , however, paints the picture well enough. Save a fish, eat more pork.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the report. As your riding season comes back..... ours here in Seattle is coming to an end.
Coming to an end!!!....C'mon feller don't let a little snow and ice kill the mood. Snap some chains on that Formoza, run some metal screws into the front tire for ice cleats and son of a gun, you got yourself an "all weather vehicle". Look out Alaska, here comes Larry.:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Riding season? Don't let the PO of my Aspencade read/hear that. It was his only transportation for 5 years back in the late 80's/early 90's. Did I say that he lives outside of Pitt. PA? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Now that's a ride report! Thanks. I never could connect to the links but looked at it on a map. I've been to Burnett and Llano but not on my bike. We are planning a group trip that way next spring.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that's a ride report! Thanks. I never could connect to the links but looked at it on a map. I've been to Burnett and Llano but not on my bike. We are planning a group trip that way next spring.
Morning Crownfire: Well, when I open the Link to SPOT, it only stays open for 48 hours. After that it shuts down. Sorry you didn't get to look. If and when you plan your trip next spring, let me know ahead of time and I will try to give you some directions and places to go. We have a pair of nesting Bald Eagles that have a young'un each spring and its right off Hwy 29 between Llano and Burnet. If your here before April, you could stop and photograph them since the nest is about 200 yards off the highway. Bring the telephoto lens. Stuff like that. And again thanks for helping with the wild fires in Texas. They are still going strong around here. Last week the Bastrop fire consumed 36,000 acres and nearly 800 homes and structures. It's been a mess and still is. Anyway, take care and Thanks.
Isaac

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Sounds good. A small group is hoping to get to San Antonio for a visit and ride the area or maybe head farther west. Our plans are still sketchy right now.

My team ended up on that Bastrop fire but I was helping in Virginia and missed it. Pretty bad to lose 1500 plus homes. If you haven't cleared out around your's you may want to do so. The weather forcasts I see for the south are drier and warmer than average for the next year.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good. A small group is hoping to get to San Antonio for a visit and ride the area or maybe head farther west. Our plans are still sketchy right now.

My team ended up on that Bastrop fire but I was helping in Virginia and missed it. Pretty bad to lose 1500 plus homes. If you haven't cleared out around your's you may want to do so. The weather forcasts I see for the south are drier and warmer than average for the next year.
Hey Mark....I'm sorry but I had to laugh when you told me to clear out around my house. There is nothing but dirt within 150 feet of the house now. No grass, no weeds, no nothin. It has all died and turned to dust. Oh, yea, I am sure that if a fire starts, the embers would ignite the house, barn and stuff but if it just runs along the ground, it won't get closer than 150 feet. The well is 500 feet deep and showing signs of lack of water, and I am not alone there. Several people around here are hauling water for their stock due to dried up wells. Even though there have been no fires around the area we traveled to last week, it looks like there has been fires. The trees are all brown and look dead alongside the roads. There will be little to no wild flowers next year because there weren't any this year and the few we had died before they could germinate. So, if you plan on coming next year, unless there is a lot of rain from December on, plan on this place looking like the desert. Sad but true. Take care...Isaac

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Sure hope y'all start getting some rain. The last time I was in Burnet the blue bonnets were blooming. Sure was pretty.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure hope y'all start getting some rain. The last time I was in Burnet the blue bonnets were blooming. Sure was pretty.
Just watched the news and we are 25 inches behind in rain for the year. But if you carry over the lack of rain from last year we are close to 45 inches behind. The aquifers are slowly drying up and it won't be long before water will be worth more than gold. Anyway, enough of my whining and maybe next year will be better. On your trip I am sure you will plan on visiting Fredricksburg and that area. Town is full of "gotcha shops" and mostly of German decent so there is some real good food there. I would plan for at least a full day there. The Nimitz Museum is a nice visit and its amazing what they have in there. F-Berg is Admiral Nimitz's home town.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts