Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving my truck (20 days and counting until I pick up the 2010 Goldwing) and a rider is in the left lane of three, while I was slightly behind in the center lane. The rider is following a box cargo truck a tad too close for my tastes, but what got me was that as the cargo truck pulled left into a turn lane, I notice that a car is on the other side of the intersection (no light) also preparing to turn left across the traffic lanes we're in. There was NO POSSIBLE way that the rider coould have seen that car.

I'm happy to say that no collision occured, but the fact that I'm now seeing things from a rider perspective even when I'm in my truck speaks volumes. And I'm also glad to say that I've had that perspective since I took my first course in 1979. In thirty years I've been in 3 collisions and none of them were serious or at high speed.

So, I can't say enough for the Rider Safety Courses. I'll be taking another soon, I think!

Rapier

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
You know Rapier I to am amazed sometimes how people ride as though the rest of the world should see them. I had a debate one morning with 2 of our local law enforcement (both riders of Loud bikes) as to the fact that they ride them so people hear them. Which may be true however my response was if you the Rider are doing what you should do (which is trust NO ONE) the loud factor isn't needed. Now I'm sure this statement may even open debate here but that's just one ole fossil's opinion.

We had an accident close to here on Friday morning on 4 lane split highway where a rider not a kid either decided to try to split 2 vehicles, lost control & hit one. He is listed in serious but stable condition. Obviously wearing protective gear but none the less a pretty dumb maneuver if you ask me. Anyway that's my rant for the morning & since we have a group of newbies here I'll repost an already twice posted link. Try it, You will be thinking afterwards I guarentee it.

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a fairly new rider, only 3 years. I had never been on a bike before the age of 48, so I had no choice but to take the MSF course and start from scratch. That was one if not the best moves I have ever made. I feel it helped me be a better rider and driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Morning Gentlemen,
I myself at the early age of 18 purchased my 1st Motorcycle, a 1978 Goldwing GL1000. It was a little Hairy at first but I done alright and never dropped it or had any accidents on it. I later sold it since I needed an Automobille, sometimes you just need a truck. Later I purchased a GL1200 and Loved it also. Sinc I drove a Truck Cross-Country I did not get much time to ride it so I sold it also. In 2006 I purchased a 2007 Honda Shadow 1100 and rode it for 3 years until last year. After taking my wife for an ALL DAY Ride, she said her Butt couldn't take that seat anymore so I traded it for my 95 Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade. I can also say I have not been involved in an accident since I was 17...I am now 49..almost. I do not consider myself anything Special but what I do attribute to my Safety Record is "Assumption"......I ASSUME EVERYBODY is going to Run the Light, Stop Sign, Intersection, etc, I assume the car I am coming up beside is going to move over into my lane, I assume the Car in Front of me is Going to Slam on his Brakes, You get the Picture.....and I always try to plan an Avoidance as I am Approaching them, my eyes are always Moving...Forward, Left, Right, Rear View Mirror. I know that sounds like work but in my OPINION...that is What it Takes to remain Safe.....and I Never Feel like I can't be involved in an accident because I KNOW it is ALWAYS Possible, Only Thing I can do is DO MY PART thus Lowering My Odds of Having an Accident. I also took the MC Safety Course here a few months ago and Yes I did Learn Some new Things, I would Advise EVERYONE, no matter how long you have been Riding to Take the MC Safety Courses, It will make you a better Rider and give you the opportunity to See and Be a Part of some things on the Course you would not Typically get the Opportunity to see while on the Highway in the REAL WORLD. To me Safe Riding is WORK....but Enjoyable and Worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The accident you mentioned Fossil, made it into my local newspaper today. My first thought was "what was he thinking." Then I remembered the quote from Forrest Gump " My mamma always said, stupid is what stupid does."

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a debate one morning with 2 of our local law enforcement (both riders of Loud bikes) as to the fact that they ride them so people hear them. Which may be true however my response was if you the Rider are doing what you should do (which is trust NO ONE) the loud factor isn't needed. Now I'm sure this statement may even open debate here but that's just one ole fossil's opinion.
http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/
The argument of “Loud Pipes Save Lives” went out the window many years ago when people started putting 500 watt stereo systems in there cars, not that it really held much water anyway. You can't tell me that you could hear a nuclear blast, much less any bike when the music is so loud and has so much bass that it shakes all the cars sitting around it at a stoplight.

Sorry all, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are only two types of bikers in the world...old bikers and stupid bikers. But you'll NEVER see an old stupid biker! Assume nobody sees you and you'll probably be right, and live to ride another day.

Dane :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts