Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats peoples opinion on the protective qualities of some of the textile jacket/over pants , as opposed to regular ol biker leathers ?
Some of that textile stuff looks very functional and protective .
But leather just seems to be the way to go .
I mean hopefully , NO ONE ever needs to find out , just fishin for opinions .

GOOD TIMES !!!!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Worn both but fortunate enough, haven't tested them. I absolutely prefer textile. I have the Joe Rocket Super Tour and really like it. Textile is just lighter and dealing with the temperatures in the 90's. Thats one opinion.;)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Three years ago, I went down at 30 miles an hour on asphalt. I landed on my shoulder, chest and head. I bruised my shoulder, cracked two ribs and had some road rash on my left thigh from the jeans I was wearing. (wore right through)

My helmet was toast but my Joe Rocket Ballistic textile jacket is still usable and is still my favorite coat. It has some battle scars on the shoulder and chest area, but I have to point it out to you.

Also, I had good boots on and those were pretty marred up but my feet were fine.

I vote textile. I am sure we will have some other opinions here shortly.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. Their safety classes look interesting and I am going to take the advanced riders course soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Three years ago, I went down at 30 miles an hour on asphalt. I landed on my shoulder, chest and head. I bruised my shoulder, cracked two ribs and had some road rash on my left thigh from the jeans I was wearing. (wore right through)

My helmet was toast but my Joe Rocket Ballistic textile jacket is still usable and is still my favorite coat. It has some battle scars on the shoulder and chest area, but I have to point it out to you.

Also, I had good boots on and those were pretty marred up but my feet were fine.

I vote textile. I am sure we will have some other opinions here shortly.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. Their safety classes look interesting and I am going to take the advanced riders course soon.
Ok , thats 2 votes for JOE ROCKET .
I do say , the ROCKET line does look very appealing .
Thanks guys . Lets see what some others have to say .

GOOD TIMES !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I haven't tested mine the hard way, but I have an Olympia Air Glide Jacket which has a waterproof separate inner liner. Very versatile and good for the hot weather here, relatively speaking. Of course when it's a 104 degrees any jacket is damn hot. Got the day-glow yellow: I want the cagers to have a good opportunity to see me.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
just old school believer in leather until some here including foss got me to try mesh.
I chose tourmaster 3 season.

mesh is 'almost' like wearing a t shirt.
waterproof liner works as advertised.
liner looked way too thin and light. to my great surprise it is measurably warmer than any leather I have owned. I am good on the wing down to freezing with just a t shirt.
Great gear and don't regret one penny.

My only gripe (this is for all brands) wish they would just make each layer it's own jacket-meaning that you could put it on and zip, velcro or snap. the design is a little cumbersome to take out and put in a layer. I eventually found it alot easier in spring and fall to skip all that and put on whatever layer you want and then the jacket over it.

Anyway, that is petty, they are all probably great products. I bought tourmaster, it is well built and so I will continue to buy their products. just recently bought matching duffle bag, it is well made and looks good too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a old black leather jacket I bought in 1988, not really a bike jacket but pretty thick and had a tall collar to tuck under my helmet. Put it to the test about 3 months ago in the dark, it ripped from either the clutch or brake handle and minor abrasions else were.
I am looking at the Tri Tex Level 3 on Leather Ups site. More visable and better protection with zip out liner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hung my leather and now wear Tourmaster 2. Light ,warm and waterproof. Only thing I hate about it is made in china.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK, my .02. I wear a combination. Look at the Joe Rocket Super Ego. Don't know if its even made anymore, had mine a few years, but well worth the effort of looking for one. Its basically a mesh textile jacket base, with leather trim and impact areas, but has a zip on/off leather outer shell. Also comes with a rain jacket liner that can be zipped in or worn separately. Mesh is, as stated, very cool in the summer, and it retains all of its padding in impact areas, while when the leather and rain liner when put together make it a REAL viable option for cold and nasty weather. I've worn mine with a fleece underneath down to 13 degrees F comfortably. Tested it in a 40mph ish low side at 13* as well. Car pulled out in front of me, evasive push on bar, but the pavement/tires were to cold to hold traction. Very minor damage to me, bike or my gear. Still wear it, wore it this morning home fom work. The mesh is great in the heat as well, if you pour water over your tshirt its like AC in 100*+ weather. Have a variety of pants to suit weather as well. Mesh, kevlar jeans, and full leather. Oh, the Super Ego jacket also comes in full textile version as well, called the Alter Ego. Good luck, and wear your gear!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wear full leather on my sportbike, knee pucks and everything. On the wing, its just way too hot. Sucks the life out of you down here. I currently have First Gear mesh jacket with liner, and the mesh over pants to go with it. I think the mesh pants are more protection from the elements, than protection from a get off. I dont see those holding up too well. I am sure the jacket would hold up, but not as well as textile or leather. I have been looking for a good textile jacket for the cooler months. Looking at the tourmasters but would have to be comfortable in the temp range of 40-70 degrees.

Looking for options for long distance riding as well, so it would have to be comfortable enough for that. So many choices...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
For ultimate protection, leather is still king, but for that you will also spend a king's ransom. You don't see Colin Edwards or Nicky Hayden wearing textile, but theirs is all sponsored and far from what you or I would likely wear. I wear Joe Rocket gear: Nirvana jacket and pants (with removable quilted and rain liners in the jacket, rain liners in pants) on the Wing, and a Joe Rocket CBR jackket on the RC51 or when it's just too doggone hot for the Nirvana on the Wing (rare in these parts). The thing about textile is it needs to be very well fitted for proper protection. Too loose and it will ride up and expose tender flesh to abrasion, but for regular use if properly fitted it offers as good or better abrasion resistance than all but the best leather apparel. One things for sure, whether (full coverage) textile or leather, it's all far better than a vest and chaps in a get off. Something to think about gang, no matter how hot the weather, the 1/2 finger gloves are a bad idea even if they're made of kevlar, your fingers are gonna be toast.
"Asphalt, the best tattoo remover"

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is so hot this summer in Central Texas that I wanted to wear a Tshirt and shorts to ride the 3 Twisted Sisters. I have the Tour Master jacket and pants that have the two liners. With both liners out it is just a mesh.

I rode in the T shirt and shorts with the mesh and it was great! I also had a Techniche evaporative cooling vest vest that I soaked in water and put under the jacket and it actually was a little chilly early in the morning and no sweat throughout the whole day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts