Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally completed the installation of the Sirius Starmate 5 satellite radio system and I just want to brag a little. After the install of the J&M MP3 player, the bike really rocks - literally! Here are some details:

1. Satelite radio - here is a pic of the unit. It is mounted on a RAM mount. It's really nice because you can easily undock it and use it elsewhere. It's a great unit for a bike. The display is perfectly visible even in bright Florida sunlight.

2. Satellite radio antenna - its magnetic. Stuck it in center of dash with double-sided foam tape. Reception is great and there are no problems with the GPS.

3. MP3 player - I mounted it on the right side wall of the trunk compartment (where the CD player normally goes) and butted it up hard against the front wall. This not only allows for removal of the SD card, but it keeps the cable plugged in.

Here are some other points:

1. MP3 player was plug and play - no big deal. I haven't had any of the lock-up or other issues that others have reported. IMO, it's worth every penny.

2. Satellite radio needed two other devices to make it work. First, since it is a 5 volt device, I had to install a voltage converter (Cycle Gadgets # XF-DHW-MYFI) to convert the 12 volts to 5 volts. The plug on the voltage converter did not match the radio, so I cut the plug off of the converter, cut the cigarette lighter plug off of the satellite radio power cord, soldered and heat shrunk them together. I connected the 12 volt side of the converter to the 12 volt receptacle wires using the taps that were supplied with the converter. Also, I experienced the alternator whine - the J&M Aux input ground loop isolator (Wingstuff #JMGRLIGL18) fixed that perfectly.

3. I ran the power, antenna, and audio cables in the channel with the hydraulic hose. Exposed portions were wrapped with 1/8" black spiral wrap.

4. I brought the satellite radio audio plug into the fairing pocket and connected it to the stock aux input connector with a female-to-female coupler (got this at Radio Shack.) This allows me to easily disconnect the satellite radio and connect other devices to the aux input. I enlarged the front weep hole, pushed the plug through, and installed a rubber grommet to protect the cable.

5. VERY IMPORTANT - Make sure to cover the satellite radio dock with a zip lock bag when you wash the bike or get caught in the rain.

Everything works and sounds great. I would like to hear from others who have installed these devices so that we can compare notes.

Ride safely,
Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I'm glad to hear your positive comment on the J&M. That is the way I will go next year. I would imagine the fidelity through the stock speakers is greatly improved. I have ((( XM ))) in my work van, spoiled now with the sound quality and variety. My goal is the Digital player and the headsets.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nice job. How did you route your antenna cable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice job. How did you route your antenna cable?
I lowered the windshield and tucked the wire behind the gasket. I brought it to the left side and tucked it behind the mirror seal. From there, it went between the plastic of the dash and the fairing, behind the trim strip, and into the area behind the fairing pocket. Cable is 21' long, so I zip-tied the extra length. Next I took it through the small hole in the fairing into the front wheel area and into the hose channel on the left handlebar, making sure to leave enough slack to turn the front wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts