Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather has been pretty mild for a while and since the wife had jury duty for the week, I took Ol' "Beauford T Dudley" (84 GW) down toward Big Bend to stretch his legs. He is my preferred On/Off unimproved dirt road bike when camping solo. My wife thinks the "Dud" is past his prime and for some reason always insists on taking our 96 GW "Red Neckerson" for any two up touring. Something about comfort, classic CD songs in the headset and being able to carrying all her stuff.

For a couple of days everything was perfect, then at about 900 miles from home the "Dud" suddenly developed a mild miss. :( The mis-fire became worse as I limped along toward the town of Terlingua and pulled into the 1st old abandoned building I passed to avoid being stranded on the side of the road. After spreading out my bike cover so I didn't have to sit in the dirt I started troubleshooting. I initially discovered a poor connection on the B+ battery output terminal on the starter relay and then a discolored (over heated but not blown) fuse that was sending low voltage to the Ignition Unit. The blackened and contaminated fuse connections were cleaned by roughing up the legs of the original fuse using a piece of concrete. Then I inserted the scratched up legs of the fuse in/out of it's socket until I could see that it's female copper terminals were shinny clean. To improve on a tight fit - both legs of a new replacement fuse were twisted slightly off center before installing it back into the fuse block. With all the electrical connections now nice and clean, a full +12.5 battery voltage was read going into the ignition unit. The two spark plugs removed from the left bank while troubleshooting had a big fat hot spark...... Thankfully my ignition problem was simply a combination of poor electrical connections and not a failing ignition unit. :)

I then took the starter relay apart for a cleaning because I'd about melted it's upper terminal lug nuts and my only large bladed screw driver down to a nub from having to jump start Dudley. The built up crusty carbon was removed from the relay's internal plunger contacts - again using a piece of concrete. Back on the road again with the border of Mexico somewhere off in the distance and enough adventure for one trip - I headed back home with no more drama.

For Some Reason Had Problems Logging In and Then Couldn't "Manage Attachments" - Leave Pictures ?

Ride Safe Michael

·
Super Moderator
14,115 Posts
That's some side of the road engineering. Glad you were able to sort it. Terlingua isn't the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty close. I rode through there a few years ago and will be back. Big Bend is good, Hwy 170 from Terlingua to Presidio is awesome. I also love Fort Davis and the roads around the Davis Mountains.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Well done Michael! It is true that necessity is the mother of invention and you proved it.
What's cooking with your attachment manager? Login OK?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Gangsta -

Hey Budoka - I've lost my previously saved (automatically filled in) user name and password for some reason. Also perhaps my photos are too large to be loaded. I'll try again to cut a couple down....

Here's the area around Big Bend on a dirt road I wasn't supposed to be on and the distant South Texas prairie toward Mexico. By the way "no hablo inglés" was not the answer the mounted border patrol was looking for.

A side view of the "DUD" while Troubleshooting the defunct start relay and a shot once home of me and "Manly Stanley" - our Dodge truck the wife would use (and has used) to rescue me if needed. The G on the tailgate is all that's remaining of the original "DODGE" lettering. When my son asked about it - I told him it stood for Gangsta". .....:)

Ride Safe Michael

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I had a few quirks myself with the new format but slowly getting them ironed out. Learning curve and all that. My friend on the "inside" so I expect it will all work out in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts