Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I started off on an adventure ride last Wednesday (7/6). We trailered our wing up to Fredericksburg, TX (we toured wineries there one day - no riding that day!) and started from there. We left out and took the back country roads to Kerrville, and then SR-39 along the Guadalupe river which was an amazing ride. We continued South to go ride the Twisted Sisters (FM337, 335, 336). We stopped in Leakey and had a hamburger and drank lots of tea as the temperature was showing 101 on the wings display - it was freakin' hot! We left out og Leaky and continued on FM337 to Camp Wood and turned North on SR-55 which then veers off onto FM335. It was along this road that the heat just got to be too much. There are so many twisties that you are not going much faster than 40-45 most of the time and as slow as 15-20 in the curves. We continued on to HWY 41 and gave up the last part of the ride and continued straight back to Fredericksburg. The scenery is beautiful and the roads are very fun, albeit dangerous if you're not on your "A" game. I will difinitely go back to ride up there, and Fredericksburg is a perfect base to go many different directions. I will not however, ever go back in heat like that. You cannot drink enough fluids and it becomes unbearable as there is no relief, even the wind is "blowdryer" hot. You also cannot go in the evenings when it cools off as there are deer everywhere - very dangerous late evening and at night. We traveled different roads by car the next day as we were visiting the winieries and I saw some that I absolutely have to go back and ride on the two wheeler. Beautiful countryside and scenery!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
We made the twisted sisters ride this past Spring and enjoyed it immensely. You're right about the deer--I was off the rode by 5:00 each evening, and didn't get started before 8:00 a.m. in order to avoid the critters. I also recommend avoiding weekends if you can--by all reports it can get very crowded.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We went the second weekend in March. The mornings were cool enough for a jacket. Traffic wasn't bad because it's still early in the season. We followed a pack if 18's for a while then went about our way. Our friends went again a few months later and said it was very busy with riders, drivers, bicyclists, and joggers. I was thinking about a fall ride but might just go back to Oklahoma,Arkansas and ride the drive.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
This is an area I'm trying to talk a group of friends into visiting next spring. Thanks for the information I'll add it to list in my atlas.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Rode the back roads of Texas back in '94, lots of interesting things to see and fun. Hope to go back one day and see some more.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is an area I'm trying to talk a group of friends into visiting next spring. Thanks for the information I'll add it to list in my atlas.
You will love it. We lived in Bandera for a year and the spring wild flowers were as good as the fall folage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts