Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys I have been here almost 24 hours and its time for some first impressions to be handed out.
1. This is a huge state.
2. It is really hot here.
3. I found out the hard way last night, that I am here during Fiesta. Seems to be San Antonio's version of Mardi Gras. As I told the lady at the Hotel counter...."I find it awfully hard to have a Siesta during Fiesta". She concurred
4. Interstate 35 is a beast.....Better buckle your chin strap for the run from Waco to San Antonio.
5. Helmet Laws:eek: - I still have a little issue when I see someone running 85mph on the Interstate without a helmet. Kinda throws me off.

Now the good part
1. Really nice folks....Starting with DanB. Everyone I have met here were super. That in itself makes it worth coming back.
2. I was told that it was real flat.....Incorrect. I couldn't tell much difference from Alabama. Except when Dan sent me to Hwy 31.
3. Hwy 31 - I loved that stretch from Tyler to Waco. Beautiful massive farms. Every entrance into a ranch has a really cool gate....

Remember those are first impressions only:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i found texas a fun state to travel in when i was last there ref. four days in laredo and hangin' out in boys town

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
It was great meeting you too Phil. Give it another 24 hours and Texas just gets bigger and bigger. As for the heat, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until July and August, especially in San Antonio. Glad your first impressions are favorable.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found texas a fun stste to travel in when i was last there ref. four days in laredo and hanfgin' out in boys town
I bet it is Doc....Maybe the next time I don't have to come here out like a man on a mission.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Other than a couple of the cattle yard airports, never seen much of Texas except throught perspex windows. One for the bucket list, need more pics REF:D

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
It was great meeting you too Phil. Give it another 24 hours and Texas just gets bigger and bigger. As for the heat, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until July and August, especially in San Antonio. Glad your first impressions are favorable.
Went through Air Force Basic Training at Lackland AFB, San Antonio in May, June and the 1st week of July 1961. As I recall May and June were none to cool;)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Texas is big and fun.

In December, rode my bike from Mission Texas, to Lorado, the Del Rio.... all the way along the border and then headed up to Alpine and then to Ft. Davis and then to El Paso and beyond.

I got rained on from Dallas to San Antonio and after that the wind blew at 30 mph from San Antonio to Mission Texas. Standing still, I felt I was going "30 mph" in a very hot and humid tunnel.

The only unfriendly people I met in Texas was the border patrol and my taxes pays their salary!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hey Ref, glad to hear your down this way! You're right; I-35 is a bummer. About every other vehicle is an 18 wheeler and there's been construction on it as long as I can remember. Hope you get a chance to see more of the backroads while you're down this way. If you're heading back through the Dallas area, give me a heads-up. I loved to meet you and buy you a cup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yepper Texas is a biggggggggggg state!!! We are originally from Nebraska but claim Texas as home now!! We hope to take the trike to Palo Duro Canyon after the trike gets fixed. We drove up there a couple years ago but now want to cruise!!! Many many places of interest to see and it will be even better now!! Enjoy your time here, it does get hot but it's a beautiful place to live!!!
Ride with the angels surrounding you.
God bless,
Anglemammaw

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
281 is a much safer and more pleasant ride North and South than I-35.

The heat????? You ain't seen nothing yet!!!!! Come on back down in August and September.....whew!!!!it is hot here then.

If you brought your Wing down here you aren't too far from one of the best rides in Texas.....FM335,336,337 otherwise known as the "twisted sisters" If you have a chance ride them then go back up North on 281......you will enjoy that ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the biggest, (now that with global warming, Alaska is shrinking) state going. lol If you get to come to or through Galveston area, contact me. I would love to show you around galveston area. Good luck, and the best for the remainder of your trip.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ref, glad to hear your down this way! You're right; I-35 is a bummer. About every other vehicle is an 18 wheeler and there's been construction on it as long as I can remember. Hope you get a chance to see more of the backroads while you're down this way. If you're heading back through the Dallas area, give me a heads-up. I loved to meet you and buy you a cup.
Sorry Will....we bypassed Dallas and ran through Houston. For a huge city, I got through without issue. Did have to dodge a flying muffler...can't believe I missed getting scuffed up.

Welcome to the biggest, (now that with global warming, Alaska is shrinking) state going. lol If you get to come to or through Galveston area, contact me. I would love to show you around galveston area. Good luck, and the best for the remainder of your trip.
I think I will have to bring the wing and Run up on a few of you guys. I definitely want to make a return visit as soon as possible.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well boys I have been here almost 24 hours and its time for some first impressions to be handed out.
1. This is a huge state.
2. It is really hot here.
3. I found out the hard way last night, that I am here during Fiesta. Seems to be San Antonio's version of Mardi Gras. As I told the lady at the Hotel counter...."I find it awfully hard to have a Siesta during Fiesta". She concurred
4. Interstate 35 is a beast.....Better buckle your chin strap for the run from Waco to San Antonio.
5. Helmet Laws:eek: - I still have a little issue when I see someone running 85mph on the Interstate without a helmet. Kinda throws me off.

Now the good part
1. Really nice folks....Starting with DanB. Everyone I have met here were super. That in itself makes it worth coming back.
2. I was told that it was real flat.....Incorrect. I couldn't tell much difference from Alabama. Except when Dan sent me to Hwy 31.
3. Hwy 31 - I loved that stretch from Tyler to Waco. Beautiful massive farms. Every entrance into a ranch has a really cool gate....

Remember those are first impressions only:)
I am in Waco and love the area. There are better ways to get to SA.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am in Waco and love the area. There are better ways to get to SA.
I think Waco looked like a cool area. My man DanB could have put me on a different road, but I was on a fast track. 35 was definitely a fast track:eek:

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Not to open a can of worms or get in a peeing match or anything, but here's some size comparisons for the Lone Star folk. While Texas may be the largest State in the lower 48 it is marginally larger than Alberta: 268,601 square miles vs Alberta's 255,541. BC is 364,800 sq mi, Ontario is 415,000, and Qubec is a whopping 593,391!. However, seldom are our large Canadian Provinces over a quarter million square miles of intense blast furnace. While we do get some intense heat, it is nothing compared to what y'all experience routinely. Personaly, I could use some of the southern heat a bit more often.:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not to open a can of worms or get in a peeing match or anything, but here's some size comparisons for the Lone Star folk. While Texas may be the largest State in the lower 48 it is marginally larger than Alberta: 268,601 square miles vs Alberta's 255,541. BC is 364,800 sq mi, Ontario is 415,000, and Qubec is a whopping 593,391!. However, seldom are our large Canadian Provinces over a quarter million square miles of intense blast furnace. While we do get some intense heat, it is nothing compared to what y'all experience routinely. Personaly, I could use some of the southern heat a bit more often.:D
I know what you mean by the blast furnace. You get so you just routinely go through whatever the temp. But, don't need any of that 30 and 40 below zero. Love the western Canada area, have traveled up there a few times, and would love to see more. Walked the Ice flow just north of Bamf and visited lake Louise, seen deer, bear, sheep, etc. Love it. You are in a beautiful area, I would however, recommend maybe going south for the winter. lol

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Not to trump anyone here but the ability to ride 365 days a year says it all to me. I am however looking forward to that Nova Scotia trip next year as a brief reprieve from the Texas heat. Fortunately I had some perspective yesterday riding in 100 degree temps when last summer it was nearly 120 in Big Bend at Rio Grande village and that was with full riding gear. 100 didn't really seem so bad yesterday. I was also wearing an evaporative cooling vest. The only part that felt hot was my lower right leg just above the top of my riding boots which no doubt picked up some engine heat. I was wearing mesh over pants over shorts. Next upgrade for this Texas boy are Baker Wind Wings.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
welcome to the sauna:D ya oughta come back when we have 100 days of 100* :eek:

here is what i'm gonna get to combat the heat..
http://www.veskimo.com/personal-cooling-system-9quart.html

the cooler will fit in a saddlebag juuuuust right
My wife uses something similar for ice therapy on her knee after knee surgery. Same thing, a cooler with ice water and a small pump with tubing pumped to a wrap around her knee. I've helped her
with putting on her knee and it's quite cold. Perhaps this manufacturer has field tested this however my question would be; is it too cold for the core?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
When it come's to size, Western Australia is 976790 square miles. I am working on the trip through this state, going from the top to the bottom. It look like taking 3 week to go arround that state. Eric

1 - 20 of 22 Posts