Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so one of the way cool things about my job (although it can twist your guts some) is taking people on test rides. I had a guy take out a VTX1300 and our rule is we go with them or they don't go. I had my gear in the truck (didn't ride due to other issues) so I took a CBR600rr trade-in and off we go. The last CBR I rode was a 1000rr and I had the ST at the time, so other than sheer performance (which I didn't explore to anywhere near it's limits) there wasn't a huge leap in difference. Now I haven't ridden anything but my Wing for well over a year, well... I had my ff Arai, my armoured gloves, my boots, and my textile armoured jacket. Pretty solid kit when on the Wing. The first thing I noticed other than the dinky toy feel of the smaller bike, was how totally exposed I felt especially without my riding pants. Made me realize just how much bark I'd loose in a lay-down on that crotch rocket. I always wore full leathers on my Interceptor (even though they were from our 84 Wing (it's ok, I bought a colour matched Shoei helmet to match the VF; love that white with red and blue accents to this day).
Well today, two young guys and their gals come in riding a pair of R1's. T-shirts & jeans, no gloves, runners (one of the the girls in shorts and sandals). As they sneered at the CBR's (the 600 trade-in and a new 1000rr) and declined my offer of assistance, they went out the door with know-it-all smiles. After the required high rpm departure (one of them actullay blew his 1-2 shift really badly haha) I thought " even in our small town the squids are about. Glad Im not one of em.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
They are an accident waiting to happen, and when they do they're going to wish they had the right gear on. Trust me, I had to learn the hard way also.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
No comment. I wear the same garb to ride in that I wear to work in. I do not ride to go down, nor do I ride with that thought in mind. Basically, I'm lazy about what I wear.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seldom wear my riding pants unless I'm on a long trip or the weather's bad. Wear my half lid mostly when it's warm too. It just bothered me being on the crotch rocket due to the exposed feeling it gave me. I never noticed it on the 1000rr, and I think it was because the ST didn't 'cocoon' me like the Wing does. I did feel the same way when I'd switch from my 1200 to the Interceptor so I always geared up on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chopin,
No rider plan to go down, but it's sure is nice to have the proper protection gear on when you do fall. I have a serious road rash on my left hip from a Sunday evening ride that I didn't planned to fall, but I did. After an hour of picking black asphalt from the side of my butt and leg, I wear riding pants or jeans for motorcycle every time I go out. If I go for a long hard ride I put on my leather gear for that extra protection. Just my two cents my friend.

Ride Safe with your gear....to live to ride another day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts