Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Lou "Temple" from Long Island NY

I currently ride a VTX1800N however after sitting on a goldwing today I am strongly considering an upgrade.

I have ridden my X in over 30 states and have even completed an Iron Butt Ride with it but I think im ready for an upgrade.

Any advice about the transfer from a cruiser to a tourer?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts

I currently ride a VTX1800N however after sitting on a goldwing today I am strongly considering an upgrade.

I have ridden my X in over 30 states and have even completed an Iron Butt Ride with it but I think im ready for an upgrade.

Welcome Lou, my advice is go for it, ride early and ride often :)

·
Registered
449 Posts

Do you like the shake rattle and roll of the cruiser???? IF YOU DO....Welcome to the world of comfort,quiet and smooth. You will be amazed at the creature comforts that are available to you.
Miles per day are no harder then driving the family cage. The bike will last for an easy 300,000 miles and get around 40 mpg in the meantime. As far as the noise level......crank up the tunes and enjoy.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the board from the Keystone state. Nothing like a Wing to melt away the miles in the saddle. Try it, you'll like it. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Temple: I came off a VTX 1300. Stock pipes on mine so the " quiet factor " of the Wing was not such a shock. My initial adjustment was getting comfortable with the high seating position. I had that feeling of being top heavy. Also, as most have noted, the fixed fairing can be something to overcome psychologically. The ride is a bit more cramped compared to the cruisers at least on the GW1800 models. Highway pegs or highway floorboards are a must. I just put some Kury highway boards on and what a transformation in ride position and control feeling ! I bought my bike in November and spent about 200 miles with her.......and then the snow came. So my initial " adjustments " that I noted above are extremely currant. That being said, it truly is a wonderful bike .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go for it!

I like may on this post have gone from a cruzer to a tourer. More specifically for me, from a Shadow to a Goldwing. I enjoy both , but have found, with the miles I ride, the a cruser isnt comfortable for long trips. I hit an 8 point whitetail buck three years ago with a previous Wing and lived to tell about it.( his head is mounted and sits next to my computer desk:) I don't think I would have survived if I would have been on a lesser bike.I also ride around 25,000 miles a year. Personally, I could only do that on a touring bike. I love all bikes , but the wing is my favorite. Take the plunge, go for it. You will enjoy it. Good Luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF temple

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got It

Traded in the X today and got a 2010 GoldWing in Titianium with XM and Nav

Pick Up the new sled on Monday March 1

Hope All the snow is melted by then

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Way to go Lou! We will officially recognize you on March 2, 2010. I'll tip the Glenfiddich for you. How much did they give you for the VTX ?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good on ya buddy! Wings are in a class all by themselves. Sophisticated, smooth, powerful, luxurious, and will handle better than your VTX did. Do yourself one huge favour and get comfortable with the on-board features before you head out on that first ride. There are alot of things that can be very distracting to a new Wing owner/rider on the first few hops. Enjoy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a bourbon man myself but look forward to being a full member soon. Wish I had the new sled today even though I cant ride it with all the snow and ice on the ground.

I got 7 for the X

Whats the best site to start my acessory shopping. Im thinking highway pegs and saddle bag inserts to start

Im thinking of doing a second iron butt run. maybe ill come down to Virginia for that single barrell scotch

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congrats on the 2010 Wing. Wingstuff.com is a decent shopping spot. Check on Ebay as alot of Honda dealers sell inventory there. You can get some real bargins at times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im ready for that single malt scotch. Its like moving from Dewers to Glenfiddich.

It will take some getting used to but should be well worth the investment

·
Registered
137 Posts

DONT THINK ABOUT IT ------JUST DO IT!-----YOULL NEVER REGRET IT!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats on your new wing! Bought a 2010 myself in metallic black that I am waiting for no salt to ride. Read your owner's manual and you will find that the wing is second to none! I just saw that the newest Harley dresser (which looks really cool by the way) is like 27 grand. I anm not typically a harley basher, but that is just too much money for a bike with less options than we have. You will like it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chopin - I am thinking of doing a second iron but run. Virginia and a single malt might not be a bad stop along the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts