Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit on a 2018 Goldwing Tour, low miles, beautiful bike. Then I read in Goldwing forums about software issues and gremlins that I don't want to tackle as I just want to ride a trouble free bullet proof Goldwing. Is this year a lemon? Did software updates cure the "new model" issues over the past three years. Could use some input by the troops herein assembled with years of experience, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Disclaimer . I had the option of buying a 2018 or 2017 back in Nov. 2017 . I choice a 2017 because I didn't want a first year model bike.
Now what I am going to say is be careful about what you read about a bike on the internet. Typically more post will be about nitpick problems and dislikes than about how great the bike is. Personally I don't think you will go wrong with an 2018. Might want to check and see if it is still under warranty . If so try to get the seller to to throw in the extended warranty.

Reactions: Ron Hill and Chopin

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a dealer bike, with another 1.5 years on warranty with the option to buy a further 5 years on or before the expiration of the initial warranty, so I feel good about that... no inside info whether or not the interim software upgrades have fixed the initial complaints, darn but thanks.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Did you have the chance to test ride the bike? If so, what did you think about it, that is all that matters, it's your bike and you will make it yours as time goes by. Like Jinx posted, be careful of the reviews, some people are just not happy no matter what they ride and they will find things to complain about that most other wouldn't even consider. Seeing how it's from a dealer, are they going to honor the warranty on the bike, hopefully the previous owner had all the "bugs" fixed, if there were any.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If the bike calls to you buy it, most of the complaints you see are from people that will never be happy. From all the people I know and the people I converse with on the forums that have the bike they all love them. One thing I must say is that all the owners say to read the manual and make sure to get an extra fob, memorize the emergency start procedure and store your start code in a place you can access when with the bike. Also make sure that you fully turn the bike off when parked.

·
Super Moderator
14,652 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. Don't let the whiney babies discourage you. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 18 about 2 1/2 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. It’s my first wing and it was love at first sight. I was a Yamaha man for many years and was out looking for the new 18 Venture when we ran across the new wing. Absolutely the smoothest ride ever and is a work of art. I’ve had more than one stranger approach me to say that they think it’s the most beautiful bike that they’ve ever seen. I have to agree! The software upgrades are easy to do - not an issue IMHO. Riding 2 up and using the CB is a little clunky over BT but not a deal breaker for me. So far I’ve logged over 30K miles on it and a 1500 mile Iron Butt Bun Burner just a few weeks after I bought it. Also, the wife is very comfortable on it and is always ready for a road trip! If you and your significant other are happy on it then that’s really all that matters. Let’s ride!!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, I just bought it! Took a 250 mile break-in ride. loved it! Need to practice slow maneuvers with the DCT as there is no accustomed friction zone and I need some taller boots! I am now in the Goldwing corral and out of the Harley one, thank God! All of the software has been updated by the dealer now I just to learn the functions, thanks for the comments, it really helped.

·
Vendor
690 Posts
okay, I just bought it! Took a 250 mile break-in ride. loved it! Need to practice slow maneuvers with the DCT as there is no accustomed friction zone and I need some taller boots! I am now in the Goldwing corral and out of the Harley one, thank God! All of the software has been updated by the dealer now I just to learn the functions, thanks for the comments, it really helped.
We own a 2018 DCT and Rick, our owner, absolutely loves it! The DCT took him some getting used to at first but now he is as happy as a clam. We have some videos that might help you with getting used to the bike:
2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT First Ride Experience | Honda Goldwing Parts & Accessories | WingStuff.com
How To Do An Oil Change on the 2018+ Gold Wing | Wingin' It with Fred Harmon | WingStuff.com

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 2018 DCT tour now has 18,000 miles. It has been absolutely perfect. No gremlins, no software issues, etc. etc. etc. Get the bike and drive it like you stole it! you won’t regret it.
What he said (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
To: jamesinflorida,
I bought a new 2018 GoldWing tour in summer 2020. It is a well engineered bike. Drive train is better than any bike I’ve had. I feel the Heli Bar riser kit is a must though. It brings the bars back 2.5 inches. No more leaning forward. Cost was $129. Sooo worth it as I am 5’8” tall.
The only question I have is it idles at 1500 rpm for the first 5 minutes. Don’t like high idle.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
11 Posts
I have a 2019 Tour Model, 6-speed manual... My brother has a 2018 Tour DCT and he bought it in 2018 when the bikes first released... He has NOT had one single issue with his 2018 model... COMPLETELY TROUBLE FREE.

I dare say though, check the engine oil and rear differential oil level to be sure they are filled correctly... Other than that, you should be good to go... Word of advice, don't go by others complaints on the internet... Some of them had minor problems, some do not... Just like the 2019's and 2020 models... Buy it, secure the warranty, ride it and enjoy it!! 😂

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
11 Posts
Bought a 18 Goldwing Tour new in April of that year. I love it. Have 12000 on it now with no problems whatsoever. Would have more miles, but the wife has a Can Am Spyder RT Limited that we ride two up a lot.
Same here, BruceR!! I have a 2019 GW Tour and the wife has the 2020 Cam Am Spyder RT Limited!! We usually ride together, but I'm on the Goldwing and she is on the Spyder... ☺

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have the chance to test ride the bike? If so, what did you think about it, that is all that matters, it's your bike and you will make it yours as time goes by. Like Jinx posted, be careful of the reviews, some people are just not happy no matter what they ride and they will find things to complain about that most other wouldn't even consider. Seeing how it's from a dealer, are they going to honor the warranty on the bike, hopefully the previous owner had all the "bugs" fixed, if there were any.
Just want to comment on my experience. I bought a 2020 Goldwing DCT Tour with a CSC Trike kit. Couldn't love it more. Bought it from the dealer in Springdale AR. Happy with the dealer (kit installed by dealer) rides like a dream, turns like power steering. Just wish Mother Nature would help. Cold as h$%&, lots of and snowing now. (Council Bluffs, IA)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts