Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. Thanks for a great forum.. Been reading a good bit here as an unregistered guest but broke down and registered today. Seems the oncoming Wing is looming in the near future and I wanted to tap into the knowledge base here. Apologies ahead of time if I ramble.

..I'm sure this is a common story but the somewhat-quick-and-dirty version is I'm a turning 49 next week. Comfort and "extended enjoy-ability" are starting to override cool and "invigorating". Been riding all kinds of bikes BUT tourers (except one 81 FLT) since age 14. Currently on a Suzi 1500 Intruder, with a 97 VMax on consignment at a local dealer. Just sold the Bandit 1200S. And steady wondering if I'm missing out on somethin'. Never owned a Wing and always considered it a "retirement" bike up until a coupla months ago when I started checkin into them after a particularly uncomfortable ride on the Bandit(thrill factor does NOTHING to help sore wrists and crushed "jewels":eek:). And with my research, including those interesting vids on Youtube, seems there's a possibility my previous mindset may have been seriously flawed.:rolleyes: And I don't wanna kick myself later for not doing it earlier on if I hold out doing this. So here we are..

I've been about 15 or so pages back and done some searching, found a lot of useful info. Read the Goldwing History and Buying Guide articles several times, and have been relentlessly studying (GF calls it obsessing) on Goldwing values in this region(Lower Cape Fear, NC). Nice examples of 12's come in mostly between $1500 and $4500, 15's from $4K-$9K, 18's from $8500 to full retail. As a boat wholesaler, paying retail, new or used is just too painful. :cool:

But anyways, to the point(finally). My biggest concerns are depreciation and ending up with a "Ford LTD Stationwagon" of a bike. Mechanical issues can be dealt with and there's fans for every rendition of a Goldwing. Seems the 1200's have pretty much tanked in value. And I'm fairly sure even the older 1800's prolly still have a ways to drop. How about the 15's.? Are they far from tanking? ..or obsolescence? Some of'em sure look way too nice to be anywhere near obsolete. Nice specimens can be had for $4-5K in this area.

On the LTD front, if I'm reading right the 12's seem a bit weak compared to the 15, which has been compared to a Cadillac (CTS or Eldorado?). And the 18 is a good bit "sportier" than the 15. Correct.? This would be so much simpler if there was a way to ride these around here. No dealers to speak of, and I've had an ad on CL for a while tryin to work something out with someone to try a GW. But nothing so far. I hafta say I'm somewhat content on the cruiser, but not being able to tote anything and only a Memphis Fats for protection are getting a little old. And dressing it out would throw it way over what it may bring.

Not sure what kindof info I'm looking for with this, but seems like it might be the place to get some more ideas. A 1200 could be bought tomorrow, a 1500 could be comfortably covered with the sale of any of the three bikes here now. An 1800 would require the sale of all three and tappin into some other funds. Payments just ain't gonna happen.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.!! d:^) Schneeks..

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi Schneeks,

Welcome to the GWOF! You're in the right place, IMHO.

I had the same view of Goldwings before I owned one, kind of a grampa bike. I was wrong, and I'm happy to admit it. Not only comfortable and powerful, but also quite nimble. Don't know where you live, but Wing values here in Minnesota are holding up OK. For a fairly quick sale, I'd expect $3,300 for Tatanka and $2,500 for Bobo. Sorry, look below. I name my bikes.:eek:

My goal is to own my 1200 for nothing, actually money ahead. I bought both of them for $1,800 and have about $400 into both. After I'm done with the '83 GL1100, I'll sell him off and ride the GL1200 for maybe another year (I really enjoy how he rides), after which I'll move to a GL1500. That'll do it.
Kevin

Good luck with your purchase and please ask any and all questions here before and after you buy. Plenty of GL1000-1800 knowledge here. Not from me, of course, but it's here and it will save you a bunch of money!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a fairly quick sale, I'd expect $3,300 for Tatanka and $2,500 for Bobo. Sorry, look below. I name my bikes.:eek:
Thanks for the response.!! And no worries, EVERYTHING around here gets named. Hehehe. The Intruder is called "Sluggo", cause after riding that Bandit, it felt like a big 'ol slug rollin down the road. But I still enjoy it a lot.. :) d:^) Schneeks..

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello schneeky, welcome to GWOF. which ever wing you decide to purchase make sure its one you want

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello schneeky, welcome to GWOF. which ever wing you decide to purchase make sure its one you want
Thanks.!!

It would help a good bit if I actually knew which one I wanted. 'Course, if I could have my d'ruthers I'd be all over an 1800. Just don't know if that's the smartest move cause it would stress my finances a good bit right here at the end of the prime boating season.

It would sure help if there was a way to test ride, rent, or whatever. Thought about pickin up one of those 1200's to just try the style of bike on the cheap. But between age, the stator issue, and the fact that they seem to sit on CL for so long even in the $2K price range makes them a bit worrisome. 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'd end up selling it before too long.

One of the 15's in that $4-5K range is looking more like the better option. Seems those don't hang around for sale very long once they hit the market. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
First welcome to the forum. Looks like you have been doing your homework. I've owned a 1500 and now a 1800 so I can't really speak to the 1100/1200 bikes. I will say that from what I understand the big issue with the 1100/1200 were the stators going bad and having to replace them which is not an easy task.

As far as the 1500, I loved mine. Went from a Kawasaki Voyager 1200 to he 1500. Bike never gave me a problem and ran like a top from the day I bought it. The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted a 1800. Both bikes will run for well over 100k miles with only standard maint. Parts are still abundant for the 1500 and the 1800. The big difference between the 1500 and the 1800 is the suspension on the 1800 is set more to sport riding and you can really push it in the twisties if you want. The 1500 is no slouch in that area either, just a different set up. The 1500 has carbs and the 1800 EFI.

I loved them both and would be happy with either..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say that from what I understand the big issue with the 1100/1200 were the stators going bad and having to replace them which is not an easy task.
Thankyasir.!!
I've been wondering how big of an issue that is in reality. Seems the 'net allows for some things to be blown out of proportion sometimes. That's happened with boat motors before, too.That said, there's at least one 1200 advertised in the immediate area with the stator issue. And it's been advertised for a long time at $1500(I've called and he's pretty hard headed about moving from that number). Which prolly means it'll also need a carb job and fuel system cleaning as well. There's also a nice little unit (85 Aspy) in Raleigh for $1750. But the speedo won't read(display works) and it's missing the trunk.

As far as the 1500, I loved mine.The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted a 1800. Parts are still abundant for the 1500 and the 1800. The big difference between the 1500 and the 1800 is the suspension on the 1800 is set more to sport riding and you can really push it in the twisties if you want. The 1500 is no slouch in that area either, just a different set up. The 1500 has carbs and the 1800 EFI.
And therein lies the rub. If I gourd head and get a 1500 I'll always wonder. Then again, it also gives me "somewhere to move up to" and an excuse for another bike later on.:D
Plus, given my background, that bit of extra "sportiness" would surely gimme a l'il pudgy when I decided to play with it. I've been somewhat content with the Intruder 1500 outside of some storage space, weather/wind protection and the fact that it handles like a tank. Maybe the 1500 would be at least a step up from that? d:^) Schneeks..

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If you can, try and go for a ride on each of the three bikes. That way you'll get a first hand feel of which model suits you best. Check with your locl GWRRA chapter and see if any of the members are willing to assist in a test run. If you find a bike at a delership, they 'should' be willing to let you go for a supervised spin.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello, Schneeky and welcome to the forum. I have owned both 1200 and 1500s. They are both great machines. I would go for the 1500 because of the parts availability. I agree with Budoka, check with your local GWRRA chapter and see if they would help you out with test rides.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check with your locl GWRRA chapter and see if any of the members are willing to assist in a test run. If you find a bike at a delership, they 'should' be willing to let you go for a supervised spin.
The only Honda Dealership in the area doesn't have any Wings and they're anti-social types. There's an independent dealer in town, but Wings tend to move out quickly there and I haven't caught one out on the floor yet.
I'm keeping watch, tho'.

But on that other note, I checked and there's a chapter that meets up in J'ville first Sunday of the month. And there's a chapter in Myrtle Beach as well. Somewhat equidistant.

Cool. I like to think of myself as a pretty good salesman. But I can't say as I'm sure how a fella goes about asking to test fly someone else's bike. :eek: Seems like some kindof breach in the "Guy Code" or some such. I'd be nervous about that and have no doubt that the "loan-ee" prolly would be too. Even if I could leave my bike as "hostage".
Gawd, nothin bad has happened with me on a bike since I was a teenager(knocking on wood now). But if somethin happened and I didn't buy the farm, I'd just hafta jump in front of the next oncoming vehicle. :eek: d:^) Schneeks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello, Schneeky and welcome to the forum. I have owned both 1200 and 1500s. They are both great machines. I would go for the 1500 because of the parts availability. I agree with Budoka, check with your local GWRRA chapter and see if they would help you out with test rides.
Thanks.!! I'll be checking in with the local chapters this week. Or once I figure out how to go about breaching that subject without gettin keel-hauled. :rolleyes:

Got a question since you've been an owner of both older versions. Taking away parts availability, age, known issues and price, how would you say the two compare strictly bike-to-bike.? I'm sure there's pros-n-cons for both. Feel free to PM me that answer if it's inviting any discombobulation to the serenity of the board. ;) Thanks.. d:^) Schneeks..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other question I had was concerning price differences amongst the various models/packages. Which I would think should be somewhat universal value-wise across the country. And do any particular farkles actually add any real value to the overall price?

i.e.- Assuming the same general condition/miles/maintenance history yadda yadda. How much more should an Aspencade fetch over an Interstate.? And an SE over that? How much more should Anniversary Editions be worth, if anything.? Any other particulars to look for that increase OR decrease the value of a Wing.?
Thanks.!! :cool: d:^) Schneeks.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Thanks.!! I'll be checking in with the local chapters this week. Or once I figure out how to go about breaching that subject without gettin keel-hauled. :rolleyes:
I've only owned an 1800 so not much help. But I showed up at my local chapter with my Yamaha and asked a lot of questions. A couple visits and a ride with the group and one or two offered me a test ride. What made me buy one was when one of them gave my wife a ride. We were buying one then.....

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
One other question I had was concerning price differences amongst the various models/packages. Which I would think should be somewhat universal value-wise across the country. And do any particular farkles actually add any real value to the overall price?

i.e.- Assuming the same general condition/miles/maintenance history yadda yadda. How much more should an Aspencade fetch over an Interstate.? And an SE over that? How much more should Anniversary Editions be worth, if anything.? Any other particulars to look for that increase OR decrease the value of a Wing.?
Thanks.!! :cool: d:^) Schneeks.

Personally, I wouldn't own an Interstate, they are too stripped down to be a true GoldWing. That's just my opinion.

The value between the models varies, but seem to be in the 20% range. The SE has most of the options available already installed, including lighted handlebar switches.

Got a question since you've been an owner of both older versions. Taking away parts availability, age, known issues and price, how would you say the two compare strictly bike-to-bike.? I'm sure there's pros-n-cons for both. Feel free to PM me that answer if it's inviting any discombobulation to the serenity of the board. ;) Thanks.. d:^) Schneeks..

Both are good machines, but as stated by Budoka in another thread, "The 1200 feels unrefined after riding the 1500."
The 1500 needs to be down shifted much less often, which makes it more pleasurable to ride. It also has more 'room' than the 1200, so if you're taller it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 1500 needs to be down shifted much less often, which makes it more pleasurable to ride.
Aaaaight.. On that whole shifting note, one thing I do truly like about the 1500 Intruder is that tall 6th gear. After accelerating, ya hit that big puppy and 'ol Sluggo just chugs down the road @ 65-70. A lower revving motor is more relaxing to me on longer rides.

So how's the gearbox on the Goldwings? I read that they're very "torquey". What kindof rev's are you guys running at "normal" highway speeds of around 70ish.? :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under. I own a 1200 in Australia and a 1500 in the USA. Having just got back from USA and riding the 1500, it has more pull. At 70 mph the rpms are 3,000. The 1200 at the same speed is 3,500. I still like the 1200 and I don't mind reving it a bit. At 70 mph it is just singing along.
Both bikes are in good condition (don't tell anyone but the 1500 is a better bike) and having said that I would be quite happy with the 1200. I hope that helps. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Bought my '05 in 2009 and have seen several offered recently for more than I paid for mine 3 years ago. Great ride, absolutely no mechanical problems, and handles like a dream. You also don't have to worry about parts availability. Bigger investment on the front end, but pays dividends in my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
..Great info, fellas. Definitely all being taken into account.. Sounds like it's gonna basically come back to Doc's advice I read in another thread.. "Get the newest Wing you can afford.."

Found out tonight that one of my best friends is a long time friend of a big Honda dealer in this state.. Gonna hasta see if anything can pan out from that..

Gonna see how the sale of the other three bikes goes. Trying to get a boat repair biz rolling as well, so I hafta keep that in consideration. But "toy money" is toy money. I'm feeling like I can scratch the 12's off the list as neat, but problematic as a primary bike. The logistics just don't work out well for them in that role.

Thanks for all the helpful info so far and please keep it coming.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I started looking for a 1800 last year I did the ebay thing to get an idea what they were going for. I was in Charleston SC for work for a week and just started calling the dealers, a dealer had a 2001 with only 19k on it. It had some pitting on the valve covers, wheels and the crash bars from the salt air, he had already painted the wheels and put on new tires. I offered him 9k and he took, I think I got lucky. The previous owner had put on a Windbender, driving lights, the upper Baker's and a few other items.
It won't win any beauty contests but it rides the same as any other 1800.

I would might want to contact a few dealers and tell them what you looking for, you might get lucky!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.