Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 98 1500 that ran fine on the way home. Since the bike had what I was told the original timing belts on it I felt it was time for new timing belts before I did anything else, including riding. I got online and followed a youtube video that I felt was cut and dry. I replaced the belts and the bike has not run right since. A couple side notes. Yes the Crankshaft pulleys are aligned correctly with all marks etc. I have quadruple checked. Only after pulling most of my hair out I have read a few articles where it is stated to premark with a crayon both pullies before removing the belts. I did not do this. What I really want to know is there an easy way to allign both crankshafts to the position they need to be at (TDC)? I know about adding a straw or a small dowel down the sparkplug holes but I am a bit confused by having, for better words 2 TDC's (2 belts and pulleys).

·
Super Moderator
11,314 Posts
How long did the bike sit before or during you changing the belts? Do you have a shop manual to show you the three timing marks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike sat for about a week. Yes I have a manual. Please dont take this wrong but the marks are aligned up perfectly, like I said I am convinced it is correct and have had my friend double check and agree....just would like to know how to manually find tdc.

·
Super Moderator
11,314 Posts
As per the manual, make sure the crankshaft and both camshafts are on the correct marks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
how about this one..... the two pulse generators.... are they spaced correctly from the crank pulley....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
did you change spark plugs too?

On one change of spark plugs (ngk) I had 2 bad brand new plugs..... found by using a plastic pair of spark plug wire pliers... and would pull the wires and replace them until I found the two (in my case) that were not firing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I put new plugs and wires, sent the carbs out to get professionally rebuilt, new petcock etc. Still backfiring/popping and no power.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
plugs and wires and carbs were after it was running bad?
or was all this work done at the same time as the belts and you didn't try to start until all this work was done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 98 1500 that ran fine on the way home. Since the bike had what I was told the original timing belts on it I felt it was time for new timing belts before I did anything else, including riding. I got online and followed a youtube video that I felt was cut and dry. I replaced the belts and the bike has not run right since. A couple side notes. Yes the Crankshaft pulleys are aligned correctly with all marks etc. I have quadruple checked. Only after pulling most of my hair out I have read a few articles where it is stated to premark with a crayon both pullies before removing the belts. I did not do this. What I really want to know is there an easy way to allign both crankshafts to the position they need to be at (TDC)? I know about adding a straw or a small dowel down the sparkplug holes but I am a bit confused by having, for better words 2 TDC's (2 belts and pulleys).
There are not two Crankshafts. There are two camshafts. The crank is the gear in between. When you get the #1 piston to top dead center you can then set the cams in alignment and in time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I misspoke, camshafts. I have been away from the computer, thanks for replies. I have an engineering degree and am an average mechanic, in other words I know just enough to be dangerous. The bike sat for 2 years inside prior to my purchase. It had 105,000 miles but all the plastic and seats etc. were in very good condition. The price was great and I thought it would be a good project going into retirement. I drove it 10 miles home after purchase, fairly slow as the rear tire had a large chunk out of the tread. Shifted good, ran well. I pulled it into the garage and started replacing things that needed repleced/repaired. I replaced the timing belts 1st along with new plugs and wires. Started it up and had a large backfire and the engine acted as if it had no power. I then did the carbs etc. to no avail. That is where I am at today. I did check spark plugs, they are ok and double checked my wires being correct.I did some electronic checks etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, I misspoke, camshafts. I have been away from the computer, thanks for replies. I have an engineering degree and am an average mechanic, in other words I know just enough to be dangerous. The bike sat for 2 years inside prior to my purchase. It had 105,000 miles but all the plastic and seats etc. were in very good condition. The price was great and I thought it would be a good project going into retirement. I drove it 10 miles home after purchase, fairly slow as the rear tire had a large chunk out of the tread. Shifted good, ran well. I pulled it into the garage and started replacing things that needed repleced/repaired. I replaced the timing belts 1st along with new plugs and wires. Started it up and had a large backfire and the engine acted as if it had no power. I then did the carbs etc. to no avail. That is where I am at today. I did check spark plugs, they are ok and double checked my wires being correct.I did some electronic checks etc.
I probably should not ask but, you replaced the plug wires? Where the plug wires in really bad shape? Did you use OEM wires? Hopefully you didn't cross the wires which would cause misfiring and backfiring.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In all my years of wrenching, granted, mostly cars, but an engine is an engine....
the only real 2 causes of backfiring is 1. timing issue or 2. crossed wires
or if you really want.... do both
no fuel........... just won't run.....tries to run... but sputters and dies
too much fuel........ smokes like crazy as it loads up with raw fuel, fouls the plugs and dies

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
D.surley...the sparkplug wires are correct..i have thought since the beginning it's timing but like I wrote above I'm getting back into it in the next day or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. I just would really like to find the exact TDC. I do have the factory marks all lined up but like I stated I did not pre mark the locations. I guess my saying "backfire" might be a bit confusing. It a a very loud backfire the first start (sounded like a gun went off). It has been making pop sounds thru the exhaust and there is no real power if I go to drive it, a real pig. I have replaced so many things on the bike my mind goes back to thinking is the timing off just a hair. I know the bike will self destruct if the timing is off very much. Things left to try; I did check the fuel pump and it's pumping the correct amount but I am going to replace it anyways (running out of options) I did replace the petcock and all vacuum lines when I remounted the rebuilt carburetor ( sent the carbs out to a company that rebuilds them).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
From what I read.... you have to pretty much take of the ignition pulse generator....... is there any way to have gotten them mounted back in the wrong location? or is there any adjustment to them

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Question........... do you have any kind of a repair manual?

I have a Clymer repair manual from back when I had my 98 SE
I never went inside the timing belts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, have repair manual. When new fuel pump arrives i will get back into it. And review your suggestions and letbyou know what I discover.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.