Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I am installing a long extension from Show Chrome on my '10 Wing to the front fender and I am wondering... do I run the tap that is required for the top hole - on through from the outside.... just as if I am screwing the bolt back in? I know that might seem like a stupid question... but the hole looks to be tapped all the way through, yet I can not screw the new bolt, that I am supposed to use, in to the hole from the inside. On the outside it screws right in but it is not big enough to bottom out so that I can tell anything. This is for the braces that are included in the package... although some do not use them from what I have gathered when looking at reviews on Wingstuff. Are you of the mind whether or not to use them?

Any advise on drilling though the plastic fender? I thought I might use tape on the fender locations to minimize any possible damage to the fender.... thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback!

Also, would you suggest

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
A brand new, out out the package, drill bit will be fine. You can drill the first / pilot hole with a bit a half times smaller than the end hole size desired. I installed a trunk handle and drilled through the plastic . It's a lot of hullabaloo paranoia. The fear is in the " Warning " not in the doing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chopin,

I thought I would drill first with a bit maybe two sizes smaller and then the next, and finally the desired one; we are thinking the same.

Really don't have to worry about chipping or paint around the edges?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I suppose accidents could happen, but deliberate drilling won't cause it. Just don't dill a hole lager than the piece your going to cover it with. Semper Fi.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep. The hole in the top is NOT tapped all the way thru. Run the tap thru from the threaded side (all the way thru) That's the only way the screw from the inside will hold the top of the inside mounting bracket :)

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Is you Wing the Airbag model?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys... thanks for the replies.

No, my wing is not an airbag. And I got the extension on. I did tap the hole all the way through, and all is fine. It sets a little close to the fender at the tip of it, and I really tried to make sure it was positioned so as to get the most clearance possible. Anyway it looks good. One thing I did not do was drill the three holes all the way up to 5/16. The bolts were fine at 3/32 I believe it was, and I went with that. I started with a very tiny bit and worked my way up through four sizes.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
See if this works... attachment: Good!

I got that show chrome piece on, and boy is it tight. I tried to get as close to the front at the top as I could so that the bottom would move away from the tire... but I won't want to be running through any mud.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
That is tight, high and tight. Is that just a mud flap extension ? I've seen the chrome fender extenders with the rubber bottoms.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is... a fender extension that is longest out there from what I could find. I also have seen the rubber extension and liked it although a longer one keeps more crude off the chrome behind it.

Anyway, they always seem to fit snug to the tire... but I am somewhat concerned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some more pics... I am trying to get better at this and will.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I like the coverage. I have this wild desire to have my lower cowl painted to match my Tupperware® and a mud flap will certainly have to precede that decision.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Chopin, that is a great look and someone, on this site maybe, has a white wing with plastic painted to match and it does look good. While you paint the plastic... paint the fender extension as well.... really looks great!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i am getting closer to getting it decked out with the chrome goodies down low~

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
This has been one of those back burner ideas that I have keep on pilot light. I have seen pictures of them painted by riders and it has impressed an "aesthetic " image on me. The down side is the chips from road debris, but I have that already on the stock cowl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts