Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!

Just bought my first GL1800, its an 06 base model. Nothing is heated and no nav/abs. I love It! Nothing to distract me from riding but the sound of the engine and occasional music.

I am 6'1 and the bike was set up for a 5'9 guy. I need a taller 1-seat, 2-handlebar rises, 3-windsheild and 4-side-air deflectors.

Don't care if they are used or new. Just nothing too out there. I am still new to GL owner/rider. Been riding for ten years now. Thanks in advance! Oh and if it works out I will handle shipping.

Side question, just for peace of mind, is it worth or even possible to add abs to a non-abs bike. Thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your Wing.

With different harnesses, and needing the control modules ($$$), sensor rings and other parts, it would probably be cheaper to set the non-ABS bike on fire and go buy a different one with ABS. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and congratulations on your Wing.

With different harnesses, and needing the control modules ($$$), sensor rings and other parts, it would probably be cheaper to set the non-ABS bike on fire and go buy a different one with ABS. ;)

WHAT!!! Ok so I had no idea with would be like that. Sadly I am not setting anything on fire. I love this bike. It might be old but man its smooth and so comfortable. Not to mention with dual-cross-ventalled front rotors i don't think it will lock up. Unless I am being careless or stupid. Thanks for the info. I am still learning about this bike and and its potential.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and as @tamathumper has said not likely.

1800's are great bikes but taller riders do have to make some mods most times.

I am sending you a message via conversation tab.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You can modify or replace the seat. A rider's seat back, risers, and cruise pegs will help a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. You can modify or replace the seat. A rider's seat back, risers, and cruise pegs will help a lot.
Thanks! I know they will help but I am not sure about how to go about buying them. As in what product ID or keywords.

Let me share an example and I have been reading this forum trying to figure this out as well. I am trying to put H7 LED light on the bike. Because must on them on Amazon come with a bulit in fan they won't fit.

I don't want to get the Pathfinders cause they are kinda expensive for my budget, and since I have the time I am trying to do the research and see if I can use a H7 bulb without a fan or would I need a resister. I watched a LED video on CNET, well actually on youtube but it was from cnet.

Using that video and few other videos I have successfully changed the lights on my car, Honda Ridgeline, my gf a Nissan Murano. My moms a Toyota Rav4 and my friends Honda civic.

But When I look for videos on GL1800 all of them are how-to install and none off them talk about the fitting issue. Would appreciate if someone has a cost effective measure. Or if Anyone can Just tell if I need a fan/resister. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Welcome from Alberta, Canada. Check out Wingstuff.com, if you haven't already. They don't have everything, but they certainly have a ton of aftermarket accessories with fitment info. I'm not as tall as you, but FWIW the risers and backrest I installed on my '06 were these:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Alberta, Canada. Check out Wingstuff.com, if you haven't already. They don't have everything, but they certainly have a ton of aftermarket accessories with fitment info. I'm not as tall as you, but FWIW the risers and backrest I installed on my '06 were these:

Thank you! You are awesome! I just checkout wingstuff.com and found the seat and handlebar riser. They are in my cart.

Followup, do you know if wheel balancers are important?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would not bother with "affordable" LED headlights. So far people's experience with other brands is that they don't last more than a few hours or weeks, and they spray photons all over the place.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Followup, do you know if wheel balancers are important?
I've never read about anyone not liking them, but I've never been too tempted to part with the cash to have'em. I do put balancing beads in my front tire, so I guess get some of the same benefits but maybe not to the same extent. I'd suggest not rushing into it, but that's just me.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi! Thank you, I bought the handlebar risers. So excited to put them on. .Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never read about anyone not liking them, but I've never been too tempted to part with the cash to have'em. I do put balancing beads in my front tire, so I guess get some of the same benefits but maybe not to the same extent. I'd suggest not rushing into it, but that's just me.
Amen you are right, they are expensive. But I learned yesterday that the bike needs a new steering joint. I don't recall the correct word. But its some kinda of ball-baring that connects the steering to the fork and tire. The local mechanic told me to hold off on the balancers until after the steering has been fixed.

He believes that will take away the little play in the steering that I thought was from the wheel. Thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would not bother with "affordable" LED headlights. So far people's experience with other brands is that they don't last more than a few hours or weeks, and they spray photons all over the place.
Yes, I have read the same. I am holding off on the lights until I fix a steering issue that has come up. Plus air filter and spark plugs. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 6' and added the handlebar risers and the peg lowering kit. Both helped but the biggest help was the adding Mick-O-Pegs. Mick-O-Peg Models Available

Steve
Thanks for the input. I got the handlebar risers, they are on their way. The pegs don't work for me cause my problem is with the gear lever and foot break. The highway pegs that bike came with, I already readjusted those. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm the same height as you. I had a modified seat by Wingsoft that moved me back a couple inches and it made all the difference in the world. http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/
Improved the seat and gave me just enough room to ease the knees. Then I also added the risers you bought which let me sit back. A few years later I added Hwy pegs which I do make good use of during long rides.

Baker wings under the mirrors are nice in hot and cold riding to deflect the wind out away or in as needed.

Enjoy the ride!
2019 09 25 Mississippi to Maine 03 Crossing Lake Champlain from VT to NY.JPG

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm the same height as you. I had a modified seat by Wingsoft that moved me back a couple inches and it made all the difference in the world. http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/
Improved the seat and gave me just enough room to ease the knees. Then I also added the risers you bought which let me sit back. A few years later I added Hwy pegs which I do make good use of during long rides.

Baker wings under the mirrors are nice in hot and cold riding to deflect the wind out away or in as needed.

Enjoy the ride!
View attachment 274024
Ah Thank you!! I emailed John and we are currently working on it. Would you know if the Utopia back-rest would work with the the new seat? BTW I installed the handlebar risers last week, and yes they are awesome!! Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Ah Thank you!! I emailed John and we are currently working on it. Would you know if the Utopia back-rest would work with the the new seat? BTW I installed the handlebar risers last week, and yes they are awesome!! Thanks for the help.
Yes the Utopia back rest works. I believe he installed it on the seat for me.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another accessory to consider for a tall rider - Kuryakyn mini boards. They replace OEM pegs and have a drop of maybe an inch or so (not exactly sure how much). That helps your knees not to be too bent. Also you can adjust them forward or backward as well as tilt.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts