Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tempted to bid on a hartco touring seat that moves you back 1-1/2" it says it is for over six foot person in the right weight range. I am 6'6" tall and wonder if that is enough to work well. I have been considering having an upholsterer move me back 2-3 inches on the stock seat, but if I do this I will be limited in backrests. Any really tall guys out there? I appreciate your thoughts and experience in this. I have already added ****-O-Pegs. Thy are great for the straight parts of the road. I drag a heel on much of a lean, so I need to unkink my knees the rest of the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
6'5"....Just got mine back from Wingsoft. Got their 'Large, complete' with Utopia backrest. Feels like a different bike. better padding (gel) a little higher, maybe an inch, and back 1-1/2 to 2 inches. They make the pass. backrest more upright as well with this mod, so she doesn't 'slouch' anymore and her feet hit the floorboards at the right angle now. I am stoked with mine so far. No long rides yet, but man, what a great feeling.
Between the seat mod, new leg/knee angle and the BACKREST !!!

I have heard nothing but positives about Diamond/Hartco, and nearly went that route myself. The velour covering would be nice in the desert! Wingsoft ran a 'free Utopia' sale, and that swayed me .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mctoy, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hartco seat. I am guessing that this was a demo that yielded way to the 2012 version. So this was a one time deal. I was the only bidder and got the seat for $770.00. I am looking forward to relaxing my knees a bit. That is my only real complaint about the wing. I am happy that is has OEM compatible heat built in. Hopefully this will solve the seating comfort issue.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
SB, I have a couple tall customers like you are. One left his seat alone and went with bar risers (6'5" tall) and the other guy didn't change anything at all last I saw him (6'4"). They both have Kury Ergo highway pegs though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed the Hartco seat last night. It made a huge difference in my seating position. The backrest also helps a lot. My knees feel a lot less cramped. I can barely flat foot the bike at a stop, I have moved up and back more than the inches would seem to indicate. It feels like a whole different bike. I may or may not add risers as the final peice of the puzzel. The ****-O-Pegs work great. It's nice to get things dialed in as quickly as this has come together. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Silver Bullet,

I'm 7'10" standing up, which is no small feat. I just eliminated the driver's backrest and sit in the passenger's seat, which is just the right length to the shifter and rear brake for me.

OK, I admit that I'm falling back into tatanka (bull bison) character. It's a joke, OK? I'm actually only 6'10". Why do you think Tatanka is my nickname among my Lakota (Sioux) friends? And, actually, I do ride in the passenger seat! My wife (6' tall) doesn't dig riding with me. She went down hard with a boyfriend when she was about 20 and is terrified of motorcycles. Oh well, more room for me!

Tatanka

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not often that I get to look someone in the eye much less have to look up. I don't think the back seat will be necesary with the Hartco. But I had looked at the Corbin bench type. If it were not for momma, I may have gone that way (even though they are butt-ugly). One thing you probably understand at your size (like me). Purchases are often predicated not on choice, but availability. I have a hell of a time finding gloves. XXXL doesn't always fit. Jackets that are long enough in the sleeve, flop in the middle (even though I am far from skinny). Good to hear from another tall brother. Ever get tired of being asked if you played basketball?

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Silver Bullet,

Clothes? I don't need no stinkin' clothes! I'm wrapped in beautiful fur!

I do need to improve the seat on the '85 Aspencade I recently bought. I'll check out the Hartco seats. Thanks!

T

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Silver Bullet,

I don't get the basketball questions but rather football, as I'm "thick." That and my favorite, of course, "How's the weather up there?" Blar-har-har! My standard answer? "Pretty much the same as down there." That, or I give them my best Ted Cassidy impression, since my voice is the same pitch, "You rang?"

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts